Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
Interesting read Ron :) I never thought about cars with foot operated controls. I would agree, our Opel GT kick panel vents certainly can fall into that category. I think the most unique foot control device on my GT is the window wiper/washer foot pedal control.

·
Vendor
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also like the foot actuated windscreen washer, but my big feet would invariably catch it every once in a while when reaching for the clutch.
I think it would be fun to have the headlights flip over by some foot switch if the mechanical system was replaced with an electrical one.

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
I so far haven't had that issue Ron with my fairly big feet, but I have occasionally hit the brake pedal when clutching :p not so fun. I agree, it would be fun and make it easier to activate the headlights. I think P.J. Ramano is installing an electric mechanism for headlights on his Opel GT. Waiting to hear the outcome on that project.Though I must admit, I do have fun manually activating the headlights. Maybe as I get older, I will want them electronically function.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,028 Posts
Probably nobody here on the US side would ever have realized, but that brownish-colored car drawing in the article actually shows a Manta B. I have tried (within a 5-minute target) to get rid of as much as possible of these overlaid feet, and overlay an actual picture of a Manta to the (now green for contrast) drawing. See all three pics attached.

Dieter

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
I always liked the foot operated, windshield washer. The foot pump / wipers still functions on my GT. Not noted in the discussion is that some vehicles have parking brake release (foot operated) and hood release located near each other. In a hurry, I am opening the hood, but it is the parking brake release.

·
Vendor
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably nobody here on the US side would ever have realized, but that brownish-colored car drawing in the article actually shows a Manta B...
Wow, you have good eyes Dieter!
I can definitely see a Manta B after you filled in the drawing. That B pillar is pretty distinctive.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

Attachments

·
Pedal Smasher
2,088 Posts
Well, if we include motorsports the original drag reduction system (DRS) in F1 was a very clever foot operated system. F1 rules specified that no active aero was allowed. So McLaren designed what they called the RW80 but it became known as the F duct. McLaren built a duct that when the driver moved his leg to open up the duct work, air would flow into the duct and go through a series of channels to wind up stalling the rear wing. This allowed McLaren that year to have a very competitive car. That all happened in the 2010 season. Then for the 2012 season when DRS became an official part of the regs, Mercedes took things a step further. The nose inlet which is meant for driver cooling was used to route air to stall the front wing when DRS was activated, becoming known as the double drag reduction system. DRS started out as a way to outsmart the regulations and go faster, all by using foot or leg controls.

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
Yea Lindsay I agree with you, my wiper/washer foot pump still works great on my 1971 Opel GT, in fact mine is electric and is awesome. I laughed when you mentioned the hood/parking brake levers. Some cars have the trunk release and fuel door release, where you either pull or push. I have been known to open the trunk instead of the fuel door :p (embarrassing)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts