Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
There's a dash and console on Ebay right now. You'll have to keep checking for seats, as they do tend to pop up every now and then. I don't have any GT seats currently, unless someone else out there has a set.
Gene

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

thanks for both of your replies. I am most sure i will be asking lots of questions about my new/old project.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
In my opinion it is better to just re-do the sats that you already have unless they are completly gone. I put a pair of what I thought were nice seats in my GT only to have the foam crumble in short order, I mean no matter what they are still all 30 years old. So if the base of your seats is ok then you can have them re-done. Or if you are not going for stock then you can put in some late model seats.

Also given the price of shipping those bulky things, if you can't find any seats locally it might even be cheaper just to order new covers and foam.

·
Bo Know's '69's
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seats

The recline lock won't hold on the driver side and the pass side is in repairable shape. Also will a '73 dash and gauge cluster work in my '69?

Bo

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have a true 69 dash gauge cluster (with the rectangule turn indicators). If you need it give me a PM and we can work something out.

As far as '73 dash and gauge cluster work in a '69; there are some differences but nothing that can not corrected. Do a search under "69 dash" and I am sure you will find the differences

I agree with Chris (opelgt73) get your ones redone. I beleive there is a repaire kit for the latching on the seats sold by OGTS. If not I know there is a way to repair it. I will be repairing one soon.

Depending on how bad your dash is you can also ship it to "JustDash" (http://www.justdashes.com/index_home.htm) and they will send it back to you better than new, I think I have seen cost at $300 plus shipping.

Good luck

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
I, also, vote for recovering the seats yourself. I bought the new upholstry from OGTS. I removed the seats and disassembled them myself, paid a shop to repair the foam and then installed the new covers. I was careful to save all the attaching clips and hog nose rings. It will require some patients and a helper to stretch the new covers over the frame/foam. While I was at it I fixed the latch.

Looking back, I would NOT have paid to repair the foam. After seeing how its done.... its just too easy not to do your self. They took a cheap electric carving knife, the $10 kind from Wal-Mart. Cut out the bad spot using the electric knife leaving a square bottom and sides. Then cut a piece of foam to fit the square "hole" and glued it in. Then, using the knife to bring the foam patch to a rough shape of the of the original foam, but leaving about 1/8 to 1/4 sticking out. Then they used 36 - 80 grit sand paper on a small grinder to shape the patch to the final contour. Perfect, simple and cheap.

If I had known it at the time, they would have given me a few scraps of high density foam to use for free.

GL

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Does your GT have the speedometer in it? I believe the earlier transmission used a different "W" # on it than the 73. The later transmission used a "W = 1062" This is on the faceplace of the speedometer. If you get a complete dash, with gauges, make sure you have the correct speedometer otherwise it will work, but be way off.

Just an FYI

Jeff

·
Senior Contributor
695 Posts
I have just about everything you are looking for, but most of the dashes are cracked due to age and the Texas heat, get with Arnold at Fort Leonardwood he may be coming down next weekend the 15th to our meet he may be able to bring some stuff back or just come on down for the meet and we can fix you up on the way home if you are interested give me a PM.
rk
I just noticed ou where in Missisippi, I will be going through Jackson first park of December could drop the stuff off a Wolfspider's for you.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Bo Mows said:
Great ideas on the seats. What's OGTS?
Wow, you ARE new here! And as such, you want to ask LOTS of questions. But often, they have been asked and answered before. More than once. As a newcomer, you get some slack. But after a few more posts, the OGT.com Moderation Team will "swoop" in and remind you of some basic facts of life as it pertains to your continued use of this site:

1) Use the Search feature BEFORE you open a new thread. If you find a thread that has started to answer you question, please add to it. If you find a thread that has FULLY answered your question, say a silent "thank you" to Gary and the OGT.com Moderation team for so diligently organizing this site. The key word is "silent"

2) NEVER start a thread in the "GT" Forum, unless it is specific to that model. The GT Forum is reserved for threads specifically related to the GT model, but not for threads of a technical nature that are better answered in the appropriate Technical Forum. An example might be "How many GT's were built in 1968?" or "what colour of interior came with silver GT's in 1969?". But a thread about GT parts availability should go to the "Open Discussions" Forum (because it has no lasting value relating to the GT; once the parts are gone, the thread is irrelevant).

3) Read, at least once, and then monthly thereafter, the Announcement at the top of EVERY Forum heading:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/announcement.php?f=11

4) Threads that are interesting at the moment but have no redeeming value a few months later ALWAYS go to the General Discussion Forum. This applies to almost any topic that doesn't specifically deserve to go in a Model Forum (GT, Manta, etc) or is a specific technical question or fact that deserves a spot in the appropriate Technical Forum. And when you decide to start a Technical Forum thread, please look at the choices and pick one that best suits the question. And NEVER ask a bunch of unrelated questions in a single post. Those posts get ignored, or at best are moved to the General Discussions Forum because a multiple guess question deserves nothing more. And eBay items NEVER go anywhere other than the General Discussions Forum, because three months later, the link is dead, and the thread is kinda' useless.

5) if you want to have a little laugh, and also learn valuable lessons on Forum etiquette, watch

That's the basics. Any questions, please PM any member of the Moderator Team, Gary, or myself. HTH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.