Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the luck would have it, rain is almost inevitable when driving to Carlisle or Octopelfest. Often it is only a drizzle forcing me to turn the wipers every 30 seconds or so. I was using windshield washer pedal for a quick sweep but its position near clutch pedal is not very handy (should I say footy?) for frequent use during long drive.

OGTS is now offering turn signal lever with a momentary button type switch. Such lever was standard on some European GTs as it was used for flicking the lower headlights (converted to turn signals on N. American GTs).

I installed that lever but I use its switch for wipers. Quick press on the button and the wipers will sweep once and settle back in park position. Electrical installation is simple via 20A relay connected to the low wiper speed wire (yellow).

Carlisle, here we come. I KNOW it will be raining.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
Electrical installation is simple via 20A relay connected to the low wiper speed wire (yellow).
Years ago, I purchased an aftermarket intermittent wiper control device, from good old Canuck Tire. It operates by sending a brief electrical pulse, which in theory, should "unpark" the wipers, and they "should" complete the sweep and then re-park.

I tried several configurations on my GT, and I couldn't get it to work properly. IIRC, the wiper would move a bit and then stop when the pulse ended. I recall that I figured out that the GT wiper circuitry is somewhat unusual due to the wiper pedal function, and that the normal "park" function only works if it was unparked by the wiper pedal. Again, IIRC, the pedal does two separate things when pressed:

1) opens the wiper circuit from the switch
2) supplies power to un-park the wipers

When the pedal is released, the wiper switch circuit is restored, and the park function works if the wipers had become un-parked

I wasn't driving the car much back then, and then a 30 year restoration interrupted the installation.

When I was upgrading the stock wiring harness last fall (I removed and unwrapped the ENTIRE harness, cleaned up all the ends and added a few circuits, and re-wrapped and re-installed the harness), I put "get intermittent wiper function to work" on my punch list. I was considering adding a relay or two, to trick the circuitry to allow the pulse system to work, by mimicking the pedal function. But perhaps I just need a decent signal from a relay, actuated by the low amp pulse, to energize the yellow circuit?

Something to add to my current punch list. Thanks PJ!

·
1,183 Posts
I just hit the foot washer bulb for intermittents. I used to drive my daughter crazy when I tapped the rear view mirror and the wipers came on.
I had my grandkids convinced that it was voice activated. Every time I said “wipe” the wipers would move.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,211 Posts
I installed a ‘69 GT pushbutton stalk on my GT for electrically-operated window washing. I used a relay to mimic the function of the original foot switch. I had the schematic written down somewhere, but don’t remember where.

But basically, for as long as you you push the button, the electric pump sprays water, and the wipers wipe, and when you let go of the button they go back to parked position.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,211 Posts
Some GTs originally came with a turn-signal-stalk-button-operated electric windshield washer, that’s what inspired my build.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts