Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its my first try on a car...I have done spackle and a little dry wall...wish me luck!the guy at the auto paint store said"you cant make it worse".

I am going to start wet sanding 220 grit tomorrow am...this was what I did on christmas afternoon..it was a great gift to work on the GT.

let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
It looks like a good start to the minor repairs. I have to ask if that is a body filler that you are using. If it is your masking tape will be stuck down and need to be sanded off as well, at least what is under the filler. I have to say that is a good idea on how to get familiar with body work. Dive in and get the feedback from a bunch of people. Good luck, half the battle is usually just getting started.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
body work

It's hard to see what damage you were starting out with. If you've never done body work before, you should get a book to get the basic prepwork (or do a web search) before you get too far along. It's not very complicated but too much detail to write it all down and it is very important to start out correctly. If that was paint cracking and peeling, if you put bondo on paint that is not sticking then your bondo will not stick very long to the body. It needs the best adhesion possible, usually I would use bondo on bare metal.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is my instruction sheet.

1.polish car w 3m-5936 rubbing compound(fast cut)
2.polish car with 3m-5933 rubbing compound(fine cut)
3.scrape loose material
4.fill holes with glaze putty after sanding with 220 grit
5.sand smooth with 220 grit
6.wash car
7.prime 3-4 coats
8.sand with 400 grit
9.wash car /then wax grease remover
10.2 coats of paint..wait 15 min between coats
11.wait 1 hour
12.2 coats of clear.

this is part of my list of "to do".... no rust yet.I am fixing dents and I have 2 spots where the second paint job has peeled

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its fun so far

wow..modern matials makes it easy. keep your extra sandpaper in warm water..helps in the opencool garage to keep your hands warm.rotate your wet sandpaper in and out of the water.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right tool

I am using a dental laboratory die grinder.similiar to a dremel or
jewelry grinder (you can dial down the speed).

I used a rubber abrasive wheel that I sharpened into a triangular shape.Run the tool slow and I was able to lay in a new,straight groove where I had body putty.The Wheel is shaped to the same width and size of the existing groove.

when using a die grinder..learn to hold it like a baseballbat..
your intuition is to hold it like a pen...a pen grasp is fine for a small
dental instrument. and this is fine if you are a dental hygienist..but never a large tool like a die grinder.your control is better..use your thumb to rest on your object.this is how a dental
technican holds this tool WITHOUT exception.this is the professional grip.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
primer is next

things seem smooth to the eye and touch

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
primer is on

primer reveals some minor imperfections...you know what...
this is what i told celeste"perfection is imperfection"..

the old gal is looooking gooood...

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
an honest days work

ever go to work...come home and wonder what you accomplished?
this am she was ugly..this pm she is almost beautiful

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HE'S BAAAA-YAK!

ITS BUCKY HERE:

A CAR PAINT SHOP CUSTOM MIXED A PINT OF PAINT INTO 4 CANS.

i THINK IT COST $49 FOR THE CAN AND $7 EACH TO LOAD INTO 4 CANS.

sO FAR..i AM HAPPY WHERE I AM AT. i THINK i WANT TO RECHROME MY REAR BUMPERS ..WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT SHOULD COST?

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
polish bumpers

I will spray will clear wheel coat

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
almost done

not bad ..Its been a fun 2 days

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't give up your day job, but your project is looking real nice. I can't wait to see it first hand. Cleaning up the tail blemish, rear quarter crack, and the wheel lip chips will be a nice upgrade. How's the color match looking?

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
finishing touches

My Helper and best opel buddy

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what could be better

I have a good looking mechanical girlfriend,

chiefs won and Rams are going to lose

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cosmetically, I would have to rate this as your best upgrade yet. Celeste looks like she has lost a few pounds. Very nice!

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
only problem I ran into..FYI

clear coat would not buff with compound..it was slightly tacky the next day i guess .. as I made a mess as the compund stuck into it...I was able to recover by using the wax /grease remover... to remove off the clear coat and imbedded compound....the nice thing was that I did not hurt or soften the paint..so I recovered since my chemistries were compatible.

my original instructions did not include buffing the glaze.I just assumed you could..the spray on glaze had an orange peel effect...so that is why i tried to buff it.

all in all ..everything worked until I buffed the glaze.

I will go ask the auto paint guy his opinion.

weather has been upper 50's and sunny in KC..real nice weather
the last 2 days...right now celeste has a hole in her resonator...
I like the sound.:D :

prior photo is finished result after chemically removing the clear coat...maybe it doesnt need a clear coat.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Very nice "homer" repair, Bucky! By tacking off the granny dress and putting her in a new "RED" dress, oh baby! Your helper looks as old as my daughter (6-7yrs ?).
Barry
PS: I want to see the Chiefs and Eagles in the Superbowl. You can understand since I grew up across the river from Philly and now I'm a Ks. kinda guy!:D

1 - 20 of 175 Posts