Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 69 GT with a crack in the dogbone of the instrument panel. I also have a 70 GT parts car with no cracks in the instrument panel. While I know there's a difference in the 'dummie' lights going from rectangular on the 69 to round on the 70, and this doesn't exactly keep the car original...i'm considering swapping them out.

First, is it a direct swap? I've seen several references to the wiring being different in the various years and i'm just wondering if that's going to be a problem with the instrument panels?

Also, has anyone ever considered using a dye on their instrument panel to either re-color it or possibly even change the color of it? Would it even hold?

Thanks guys,
Claud

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Claud;
They'll swap. Also, you can just spray paint them, they're only plastic.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Plastic Welding

Try the guys who weld up plastic bumpers (er.. the sticky-out bits front and rear that "bump" into other cars!). They may well be able to "weld" the original dash - said they could when I took mine in but found a nice one to replace it with before it happened.

Also they use neat textured paint to resurface the bumpers which will stick to the Opel Dash - several different colours too.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Pacific Ocean!

Billard13, I am 4,000 miles away across the Pacific Ocean in a country on a couple of islands called New Zealand so I don't know if the names of our businesses will have any relevance over there!

They are listed in our Yellow Pages under "Plastic Welders" one is called "Plastec" another "AllPlastic Repairs" and the supplier of the plastic welding tools is "Techspan" www.techspan.co.nz

Just have a look in your yellow pages under Plastic Welders and see what you come up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts