Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Olympia Caravan, Buick 350
7 Posts
It's nerve racking in a small car. When driving my 62 Nova, my Opel or the wife's MGB and I get one of these wonderful folks that gets so close you want to stop and walk back to give them your business card and tell em " if you want to get this close, maybe call first." I give em the stale yellow light treatment ( Beverly Hills Cop). If they are tailgating going down the road they'll get way too close at a light as well. They set themselves up for what's next. When the light turns green sit there and wait for yellow, count to 5 then go. They'll get the red light before they cross the line. Some get it, most don't but you'll be rid of them for the time and it's alway's interesting watching them react to it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is one of the reasons I added a red LED strip that flashes 3x when hitting the brakes to the vent area above the back window.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't you guys have to do a class/training for first aid before you can start working on your driving licence in the US?

·
Detritus Maximus
2,937 Posts
Not a bit! There are no prerequisites that I know of. Drivers Education in schools is spotty, at best, probably nonexistent these days.
Honestly, when I took my driving test I thought I had failed. Instead I passed with a 95%+.

·
Super Moderator
13,945 Posts
Driver education in the US is horrible. The bare minimum.

The motorcycle testing is harder, but still barely adequate IMO. I’ve done 4 motorcycle classes….3 in CT (beginner, intermediate, advanced, and one in NH to maintain my low insurance rates). I aced every test, even as a first time novice. 100 written questions per class, all correct. Zero deductions on the riding test. Yet I hardly felt like I was challenged. In fact I got offered a job on two separate occasions to work as a state motorcycle testing instructor.

Anyway, in my opinion US testing standards are geared towards the lowest common denominator. Unless you are blind, or can’t read, or truly are an idiot, it’s hard to fail.

I taught my stepsons all how to drive a manual transmission, and they said I provided far better real-world advice than their driving education did.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
I took my motorcycle license test on a scooter.........so that I could ride my scooter. 25 easy questions. Yet, now I'm qualified to operate a 1000hp motorcycle. Schit, I'm not even qualified to drive a 1000hp car!

🤪

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
I took my MC license on an 1100cc bike in the tiniest of parking areas. One of the "tests" was to accelerate to 15mph, hold it, then brake inside a box. Start line to the box was 30 feet. I blipped my throttle and then locked up. I kid you not. That was passing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Damg, that is rough! Here - you have to do first aid class before you can even start driving on parking space. Minimal 25 hours (I think) of driving including in the darkness, highways and I've heard that some even have to change a tire etc. IT's not that bad here but you can stil find jerks. A buddy of mine failed because he let the steerign wheel slip a bit through his fingers when ending the corner. The comission member that judges your final drive said it's not by the book even if his driving instructor said it isn't a big deal.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts