Opel GT Forum banner

Is it taboo or just plain weird?

• Don't do it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I know youre gonna do it anyways, but I think its dumb.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • You can do it!

Votes: 27 90.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the looks of the emblems on the side fenders. Not too sure I care about the 1900 or GM logo.

What do yall think? :feedback:

I would probably grind off the pins and mount with 3m double sided gray tape.

I need a volunteer to make me a template. Perhaps a paper bag cut open and taped to fender and holes poked in it.

Attachments

·
Opeler
1,196 Posts
I really like the looks of the emblems on the side fenders. Not too sure I care about the 1900 or GM logo.

What do yall think? :feedback:

I need a volunteer to make me a template. Perhaps a paper bag cut open and taped to fender and holes poked in it.
Well if it makes you feel any better, I put one of these GT emblems on my fender...
and let's be honest, what exactly is stock appearing on your GT anyway?? If you like it, rock that shiz and enjoy the hell out of it.

Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
James, Mine is a 70 GT, I personally like the look of the OPEL plate also, I have done this on several cars over the yrs. , as for the GM emb. no thanks. I always grind off the pins, I just cant put holes in the clean fender, 3m double sided tape

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,842 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Eric and Dennis.
Unless you are planning on doing a bone-stock restoration, use or chuck the badges as you see fit.
On my car, the "O" "P" "E" "L" on the rear panel is spread out more than the original location. Works for me.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

Attachments

·
Über Genius
9,302 Posts
Dude, it's YOUR car. YOU get to do things to it as YOU see fit.

These cars are 40+ years old. They will either be perfectly restored or modified. If you aren't perfectly restoring it then what difference could it possibly make on the badges?

·
UngerDog
1,309 Posts
I think the pins hold the emblems in place better than double sided tape. I have made my own emblems with a resin A + B cast in a clay mold and attached them in pretty much the original position with a double sided white foam tape (not sure of the brand)...because that was what I had. I've had a couple of them fall off. I did reattach them with 3M emblem glue. But, I'm thinking that you will have better results than I did if you use 3M double sided gray foam tape...just give them a pull test once in a while.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,271 Posts
I think the pins hold the emblems in place better than double sided tape. I have made my own emblems with a resin A + B cast in a clay mold and attached them in pretty much the original position with a double sided white foam tape (not sure of the brand)...because that was what I had. I've had a couple of them fall off. I did reattach them with 3M emblem glue. But, I'm thinking that you will have better results than I did if you use 3M double sided gray foam tape...just give them a pull test once in a while.
I tend to disagree. All you need to do is use the right tape. I assume that the stuff (tape) that you are using is not what we use in our company. Some of our products are BMW Rocker panels, weighing about 3 lbs each. BMW puts it on their cars with double sided tape. No screws, no rivets. Tape only. These rockers have to withstand test "rides" in a wind tunnel at 300 km/h (186 mph).

Dieter

Reactions: pherrley

·
Opel Key Master
5,176 Posts
Finding really nice emblems is sometimes the challenge. I have a 73 GT here with the side emblems added. It looks fine, and most people, even Opel people won't notice its out of place.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,956 Posts
Junk them oem badges and fill in all those dang holes! Use the tape, you don't want to have to go on a George-quest looking for a missing "O" because a letter fell off. One thing you'll notice when you use the micro-tiny oem letters on the back is that people will inch to within a foot of your rear bumber trying to read the stupid dinky letters and you can see in your rear view mirror their mouths saying "Oooo...Pelllllllll?". Nobody can make out the Opel word on the side badges either, all they see is the GT.

You can get much better and easier to read Opel letters on ebay.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Off the subject but still Opel GT!

Yeah, I agree with Eric and Dennis.
Unless you are planning on doing a bone-stock restoration, use or chuck the badges as you see fit.
On my car, the "O" "P" "E" "L" on the rear panel is spread out more than the original location. Works for me.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy
Ron, What are the bulbs in the tail lights? LED, but ?? Now, to save myself: Hey, if the lights aren't stock and nobody is complaining, why do the emblems have to match someone else's car? ( :bs2: ) JMHO

Whew! Just before the poster police came after me! :yup: -- Doug

·
Vendor
2,842 Posts
Ron, What are the bulbs in the tail lights?
Doug,
Those are the LED tail light kits that JJ Wheatley (DESTEC) used to sell on eBay and on this site. I haven't seen any listed for a while, so he may be out of the Opel biz. :confused: They seem to be a little more visible than the incandescent bulbs.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

·
Opeler
382 Posts
I like the 70 badges better too. When I picked up my current 71 GT to replace my wrecked 70 I transferred all the badges over. As it turns out when I started prepping the body for paint I found that the drivers side fender had been replaced some time in the past with one with the emblem holes, so I only had to drill the passengers fender.

While we're talking emblems, where can I get some for my wheel center caps?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can say from experience the 3M double sided tape is the way to go. Iv often heard it referred to in the PC modding world as "The Tape of the Gods" or "100 mile an hour tape" lol i used it quite a bit to hold plexiglass or acrylic to the plastic or metal when modding xbox 360s and PCs adding case windows.

·
2,054 Posts
The GT looks clean stripped of badges (except for the blitz on the hood).
After all, a girl's got to have her secrets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts