Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VOTE:lead vitamins in gas

a handout I recieved form OGTS said that 69 & 70s Gts need lead vitamins added to the gas at each fill since they lack hardened valve seats of 71 and later engines...the purpose of lead was to coat the valve and increase gas profits:

on my 70 gt:

should I 1)add lead to gas...save my engine

2)delete lead....burn up tired 1.9.. then buy 2.4 from
OGTS

3) add lead then..only drive when wind blows east..let rice burners smell my exhaust for a change

4)believe "old MG sage"..he says lead doesn't matter

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If your running a standard 1.9L and it hasn't been run on a steady diet of vitamins, the the damage has already been done to the heads. SSSssooo, you might as well get as much milage out of the engine that you can and then pop for a 2.0 or 2.2 change over. BTW- put the expensive, high octane petroleum distilate in you tank- this will help it run longer and better. I have been running my 1.9 over a year and a half now on premium and occasionally pop some cheap stuff in when I can't get to my regular gas station and sure can tell the difference in performance. I don't think the vitamins are really needed any more as the damage has been done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.