Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is my gt a 68 or 69 what is there that i can tell if it is a 68 or 69 other than the split bumper. i uploaded some pics.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,778 Posts
Is my gt a 68 or 69 what is there that i can tell if it is a 68 or 69 other than the split bumper. i uploaded some pics.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
First of all, all pictures have to be approved by either the monitors or the administrator. Your pictures were just approved.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi Jake,

The internet is a great place to obtain information.

There is a search feature on this site. You might consider using it, before posting a question (that has already been answered elsewhere).

There are also search engines, like Bing or Google. Many results come up, when you enter the topic of your questions here.

To determine the model year of your car, obtain the VIN number. This is found on the plate on the firewall, and usually starts with 93 or 94 (on 1968-1970 Opel GT's). More details can be found online at:

What Year Is It?

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Gt

i thought it was a 1969 also is 71,000 miles still low for a gt.
Yes, 71.000 is low milage for a GT, easiest way to tell a 70 is that it is the only year that did not have a simulated wood steering wheel (unless it has been changed) it had a soft grip (rubber over foam) and usually is pretty well wornen. The 70 also had the round dash indicator lights (turn siginal, high beam,head light lock indicator light etc.) It was also the last year of the solid lifter 102 HP engines. It is a good year to have in stock form.

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so

so will ny stock gt really go 150mph also i any body interested in a gt motor with transmission

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not quite...

wow so they were fake corvettes be cause in 1970 corvette speedometers i believe said 150 also
While their ancestry may share common people, they are in no way, shape or form copies of one another...

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
Yes, 71,000 is low mileage for a GT, easiest way to tell a 70 is that it is the only year that did not have a simulated wood steering wheel (unless it has been changed) it had a soft grip (rubber over foam) and usually is pretty well worn. The 70 also had the round dash indicator lights (turn signal, high beam,head light lock indicator light etc.)
Um, no, the 1970 model year GT had the rectangular indicator lights, the round indicator lights came in 1971 and after. AFAIK, the rubber covered steering wheel only came in some, but not all, 1970 GT's. And FWIW, 71,000 miles is possibly 171,000 miles. Not as likely, but possible

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Um, no, the 1970 model year GT had the rectangular indicator lights, the round indicator lights came in 1971 and after.
Misinformation like this (stated as fact and not as observation or opinion), are what leads to the questioning of the credibility of the data presented on this board.

·
Super Moderator
6,071 Posts
Misinformation like this (stated as fact and not as observation or opinion), are what leads to the questioning of the credibility of the data presented on this board.
And which misinformation are you referring to Dave? Mine or opelnut10's? When a person expresses his opinion, and sometime just his recollection, it is just that: an opinion. We are all entitled to have one, even if it might be factually incorrect.

But in any case, no one is questioning the "credibility of the data presented on this board". Except maybe you. So please keep it to yourself.

·
1,876 Posts
Going 150 mph in a GT

to the physicists out there.... how high would the cliff have to be in order for a GT driven off of it to attain 150 mph before it hit bottom?

·
Opeler
161 Posts
Originally Posted by opelnut10
Yes, 71,000 is low mileage for a GT, easiest way to tell a 70 is that it is the only year that did not have a simulated wood steering wheel (unless it has been changed) it had a soft grip (rubber over foam) and usually is pretty well worn. The 70 also had the round dash indicator lights (turn signal, high beam,head light lock indicator light etc.)
Um, no, the 1970 model year GT had the rectangular indicator lights, the round indicator lights came in 1971 and after. AFAIK, the rubber covered steering wheel only came in some, but not all, 1970 GT's. And FWIW, 71,000 miles is possibly 171,000 miles. Not as likely, but possible
Are we talking about the lights in the center of the instrument panel with turn signals, high beam, headlight lock indicator, etc? :confused: On my documented 1970, they are all round. Also have the foam/rubber wrapped steering wheel (which is now leather wrapped). I have the original sales purchase documents from the original owner who was a family friend that states it was driven off the Buick-Opel dealers lot on 11 November 1969. He had it tagged as a 69 before I got it, it bypassed California smog inspections that way in the late-70's/early-80's. My car does not have any emission controls on it and I can't find any sign that they've ever been there. It doesn't have the evaporative canaster that is supposed to be on 70 models. When I got it I went by the VIN# and tagged it accordingly as a 70. From the best I can tell using this board and other sources, there were some mid-year changes that took place on 70 models. More so on 70 models than any other year, I think because 71 had the most changes. Things like window handle location, lighting and a few other things that were different on 71 models sporadically appeared on later 1970 models, I'm guessing as the parts bin ran low or re-tooling occurred for the next model year. My research for my Opel and MG has found that this habit was common by many European manufacturers. According to this research and the VIN, mine is an early 70 model. Years ago I found a manual that had the list of VINs and the month/year of manufacture and model year. I don't have that book anymore and don't know what happened to it. I've had a couple moves since then. :banghead: If I remember right my VIN rolled off the assembly line in May 69 for 70 model year.

I do agree with Keith that it could be 171,000 miles though. My odometer reads12,010 miles and I know it's rolled over. :yup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
to the physicists out there.... how high would the cliff have to be in order for a GT driven off of it to attain 150 mph before it hit bottom?
752.64 feet, but that is irrelevant to the task at hand.

Unless I'm missing something some amount of tampering must have occurred to produce that combination of badges.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts