Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is my motor supposed to be tilted?

hi all, have a 70 GT and just wondering my my motor is supposed to sit lower on the drivers side of the car than the passenger side of the car. do i have some messed up motor mounts or is this supposed to be like this for some odd reason? thanks in advance for answers.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks gary, i went and looked at them after reading what you said the first time, and one is a little different than the other, i assumed they were the same.

·
Opel Key Master
5,336 Posts
Tilting engine

Are the engine brakets different???? I always thought they were the same. The cross member for the engine has a high and a low tower to it, but I didn't think there was any difference in size of the mounts. May have to go look at a few pairs I have.
Keith

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, wish i got as lucky as you...LOL. might explain why you really have to push hard on the passenger side of the hood to get it to latch, but not anymore thanks to gary asi will know what to look for when i put it all back together. BTW, the machinist should be calling this week to tell me to come get my opel stuff. then he cal tell me the news on my crank and i can get bearings and a head gasket from OGTS. it was funny when i dropped my opel items off because ther was one other 4 cylinder in there, which was ford and the rest were almost all big block v8s.

·
157 Posts
motor mounts

I have 6 motor mounts and two of them are installed. They are all identical yet my engine tilts significantly to the passenger side. I have put a 1/2" spacer under the passenger side motor mount and it is still tilting towards the passenger side. Does anyone know for sure that the left motormount is different from the right?
Thanks, Trent

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Yes, the left (drivers side) is different from the right. I didn't believe it either until I rebuilt the engine last year. I have another engine crossmember out and will take pictures for you tomorrow morning when it is cooler. 90 + degrees now. Jarrell

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
The motor is supposed to be tilted! Take the spacer out. The engine support cross member has different height towers to do this, all of the other parts are basically the same, although there is a slight difference between the left and right motor mount brackets that bolt to the engine, but it has nothing to do with the height difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
hi all, have a 70 GT and just wondering my my motor is supposed to sit lower on the drivers side of the car than the passenger side of the car. do i have some messed up motor mounts or is this supposed to be like this for some odd reason? thanks in advance for answers.
I was reading this and reminiscing of the old days when Jared was a newbie here. My, now he is almost a 2000 post grizzled veteran!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
markandson said:
The engine support cross member has different height towers to do this, all of the other parts are basically the same, although there is a slight difference between the left and right motor mount brackets that bolt to the engine, but it has nothing to do with the height difference.
Exactly what I was trying to say. The heat had me befuddled last night. I'll still take pictures today. Jarrell

·
Opeler
193 Posts
I just replaced both mounts. They were identical in height. These came from OGTS and they said there was no difference in the right and left. The only difference in them was that one had a slightly longer thread on the top. From taking the old one off I knew it was harder to thread the driver side, so I used the longer thread on that side. But other than that there was no difference.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Damper Blocks

petrieopel said:
I was mostly concerned with the rubber part of the motor mount. I was wondering if the left and right are the same.
Trent
Opel calls them "damper blocks" and there is only one part number so they are identical.
Opel Part No. 684277

1 - 20 of 43 Posts