Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have a bad ignition switch? My car has failed to start twice now. when i turn the key on, the dash isn't getting any power-the lights on the dash won't come on, the radio won't go, its totally dead and won't crank,etc. I think my battery is ok, cable seems ok. I'm not sure about the starter, but a rotten starter wouldn't do that, would it?
and both times it wouldn't start, it was good and warmed up..no cold starting probs yet...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Check, then double check all the battery cable connections, including the ground on the passenger side frame rail. Even with the best connections at the positive side of the battery, one bad ground can ruin your whole day. That being said, also check the two nuts that hold up the fuse panel. There are two ground wires for the instrument panel there.

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd also check the connectors from the steering column to the fuse panel. On my GT, the white connector had a habit of coming loose at inopportune moments, completely shutting down the ignition, and everything else that was switched with the ignition switch. Never did figure out why it would come loose though.
Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts