Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing the engine on my GT..... I plan on dropping the engine down and then was thinking about using the tow ring on the front bumper to lift the car up high enough to slide the motor out....is that hook strong enough to lift the body...no engine or transmission...the body can't weigh that much without the running gear....

·
Vendor
2,406 Posts
I'm not sure it's strong enough to even tow the car. I think that it is held in place with a couple small bolts. My recollection is that this was mostly used to hold the cars in place during shipping.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,026 Posts
Despite the lighter weight, it will still be 700-800 lbs or so , and it may just twist the bumper on its mounts. Does not sound like a good idea....If you try this, make sure you put some good jackstands in place as early as you can in the lifting process, and keep your hands and body out until it is up and the weight on the jackstands.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,781 Posts
The chassis arms that protrude forward and have the bumperettes and tow hook attached to them are pretty weak and unsupported. I would also recommend lifting at the front suspension. Or put a 4"x4" under the frame rails and lift that. Or, if you have a bunch of cinder blocks laying around, progressively jack the car and lower the wheels down on 2 cinder blocks under each wheel. You can flop the engine on it's side once it's on the ground and then it's only about a foot and a half high. Put a piece of plywood, cardboard, or a dolly under the engine before you drop it and then just drag the engine out from under the car. I've done all of these methods.

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,527 Posts
No, you won't be able to pick it up. But you might just succeed in flipping the car on its side or destroying your chrome bumper! I have however, towed/ wenched plenty of gt's using the "eye". As long as the geometry allows without damaging anything.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
For God sakes, do not use the front anchor point as a lifting device!!!!

I always use 4x4, and 2x8" of lumber to build a crib.....

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
by the way Vincent if I scroll through you pics there where does the Gordon looking car under the mcdonalds sign come from you don't see it unless you click on the pics and go through them

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Not
by the way Vincent if I scroll through you pics there where does the Gordon looking car under the mcdonalds sign come from you don't see it unless you click on the pics and go through them
Notice that to..... Don't know why the Gordo mobile appears in that series of photos..... Anyone else craving a Big Mac all of a sudden ?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Dang Vincent that sucker is way up there holy crap man
Front tires are only a couple of feet of the ground. Lol

I believe the front suspension cross member was just under 40" off the ground....

·
Registered
885 Posts
Not

Notice that to..... Don't know why the Gordo mobile appears in that series of photos..... Anyone else craving a Big Mac all of a sudden ?
Not

CONSPERATHY just like you originally said a double quarter pounder and it some how translated to a big mac AHAHAHAHALOLOLLOLOLOL

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sure. Lift it with the tow hook. Just be certain to post a pic so I can save it with these:

redneck.jpg
redneckhoist.jpg
redneckjackstands.jpg
redneck.jpg

And yes, the guy welding under the pick up is welding right next to a gas tank.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm glad they did funniest schnitt I've seen in a while next to my half brother pretending to know how to drill a screw in the wall when I hand the drill to him in reverse
Now thats funny stuff to watch I should have got that on video

·
Opeler
1,354 Posts
Sure. Lift it with the tow hook. Just be certain to post a pic so I can save it with these:

View attachment 424120 View attachment 424120 View attachment 424121 View attachment 424122 View attachment 424122 View attachment 424123 View attachment 424123 View attachment 424120

It looks like he is welding on the gas tank itself. Trying to repair a hole in it in situ I guess.

My old metal shop teacher in high school used to weld up leaking gas tanks for people periodically without consequence and he lived to a ripe old age. He said that the trick was to only do it on a full tank with drip-sized leak, not a stream, and to do it quickly. He used an acetylene rig to do it, since mig and tig were far into the future at that time.

He never let us do it and that's ok because even with all of that reassurance, I never felt a need to try it.

·
Administrator
9,966 Posts
...Or, if you have a bunch of cinder blocks laying around, progressively jack the car and lower the wheels down on 2 cinder blocks under each wheel.
NEVER use concrete or cinder blocks to support a car! They crush way too easily when a heavy weight is concentrated in a small area. Plus any moving of the car while pulling or installing the motor will increase possibility of collapse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts