1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opel gone bad
108 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
I added the photo to your post. And did you see the engine swap? It's a Toyota 1900 OHC, with a Weber and 5 speed. Probably not a lot of extra horsepower, but a very clean swap

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Keith, that's either a 2tc (1588 cc) or a 3tc (1770 cc)Toyota engine, which is a hemi-headed engine but with the cam in the block, pushrods and all. Very durable piece of equipment though!

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
that grill just looks like square tube probally 1/8 wall thickness and probally like 1.5 by 1.5. would probally be easy to do if u had a nice di-acro bender, then jus go get it chromed and desing some way to mount it from the back.

·
792 Posts
Opel with Toyota engine

Bob are you saying that would not be a 1900 cc Toyota engine?? Or would it be a 20R?

How would the engine in the picture compare to our Opels for power or the ability for performance upgrades? I am only 4 hours from Las Vegas and wouldn't mind seeing this transplant. (Actually I've seen two toyota transplants like this in a little mexican town not far from where I am located. The five speed speed are a bit longer than the Opel)

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well a 20R would be a 2.0 carbureted and a 22RE i believe its called would be a 2.2 FI and ive seen many of those engines and they look way diffrent then this. what is the engine is what id like to no is it a real 1.9 toyota??

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
RallyBob said:
Keith, that's either a 2tc (1588 cc) or a 3tc (1770 cc)Toyota engine, which is a hemi-headed engine but with the cam in the block, pushrods and all. Very durable piece of equipment though!
I might stand corrected. It is advertised as being a 1900, but who knows.

azopelnut said:
Bob are you saying that would not be a 1900 cc Toyota engine?? Or would it be a 20R?
Which is what came to mind when I saw it. I don't have much experience with Toyota engines, except the 22R that was in my old '82 Celica. It was carburetted, and looked something like the photo. But I sold that to buy an '84 Caravan "Magic Wagon" (wow, was THAT a poor name for a piece of CRAP!) when the first of three daughters showed up

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
3tc

The '80 Corolla came with the 3tc 1.8L motor, which looked like that. What you can't see well is that it is a cross-flow head, so the exhaust is on the drivers side somewhere.

My '80 Corolla wagon was rock-solid dependable, had a nice 5-speed transmission, and had slightly more performance stock than a stock 1.9L Opel motor. Of course it also had over 200k miles on it, so I'm not sure how a new one would have performed.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
azopelnut said:

How would the engine in the picture compare to our Opels for power or the ability for performance upgrades? I am only 4 hours from Las Vegas and wouldn't mind seeing this transplant. (Actually I've seen two toyota transplants like this in a little mexican town not far from where I am located. The five speed speed are a bit longer than the Opel)
An older non-emissions 2TC had 88 hp. The later emissions-style 3TC had 75 hp. Toyota's 20R is in fact 2.2 litres, while the later 22R is a 2.4 litre engine. The older 8RC was a 1.9 litre however, but that was not that common in the US (older Carina models primarily).

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Gary said:
If I remember correctly, the 20R was not a hemi so the plugs were on the side of the head.
Correct Gary, the 20R was a SOHC design, plugs facing the driver's side. Still a crossflow head however.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts