Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Opeler
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a rear end shipped to me. It has no opel stamping on it like my original. The brake shoes are smaller the ebrake adjustment is different and the t-tube is aluminum not steel. As I said before no opel marking on it at all. Here is was is on it "5tbg62771" If this is a chevette rear than the ratio will not match up (it can be a 3.62,3.70 or 4.11) and will have to get new drums and hardware etc. as this is missing from the one side. The yokes do not match. :confused: He said he pulled it from a '72 GT but I think the p/o may have put different rear end in. Any Chevette fans out there that can id this axel?

He told the mechanic that there were two styles of rear ends, one regular production and one corporate. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And this one must be the corporate one.

·
Opeler
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:eek:

Here's the deal. It is a chevette rear end. It will bolt up but the total track is 2" wider. You will also have to have a custom yoke made. Bad news the brakes are smaller (i.e. reduced braking performance) and the ratio can range from 3.62, 3.70, 4.11. The chevette board complains how bad the brakes are and it is on a lighter car than the GT. The coil springs pads look like they will work and are years newer that our cars but not sure as I just looked at them w/o pulling the coil when I went to the local yard to see if I was right.

Good news for me Eastwest Auto parts 1-800-447-2886 saw it my way after looking at another GT and chevette in his yard and validated all my findings. It was hard going for an hour or so. But he did the right thing. He has another rear end with Opel markings on it.

At some time rear ends will be not available a chevette one can be had for $50 but understand it braking limits.

Ken
:cool:

·
Opeler
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Chevette vs Opel Rear end

Here are some pics of chevete and Opel rear end. Close but not equal.

Sorry the jpeg is too large.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.