Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting calls from my ex boss. Really nice guy and I could tell by his tone he wanted something. Seems he has a new customer that's less than 10 miles from me that needs help. Ok I'm one of the top CNC techs in the US, Opels are a hobby. A side note to the conversation was the offer of a Bridgeport mill with all the goodies for 750. DRO Vises collets power feeds ...the works.

Lets see, if I were inclined to deck a head or block or bore out to a custom size for pistons that might be handy. Oh and custom one off pieces would be easy. I still have a rotary table so retiming would be a sinch.

It's not a car but boy can I make some neet stuff for cars with it.

BTW these usually sell for a minimum 2000.

Oh my back in the saddle again.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Dave;
I'd say it was a good thing, especially if delivery is thrown in. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well, lessee here now there then. Custom intake and exhaust flanges, maybe one piece for a turbo setup. Or two piece for folks that may want to build custom headers, with a bit of expertise about size and length from RB. Maybe a little bit of trade off for throttle body adapters. Special brackets for AC conditioner compressors, or brackets for the GM one wire alternators. It boggles the mind, of the possibilities that could be done. All professionly fabricated for sure. Whatcha think?

·
1,175 Posts
A bridgeport milling machine in good working condition sounds very valuable to me. It is also valuable for what you can do with it into the future. Depends on what he wants in return.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What he wants is to put me back on the payroll on a part time basis. He also wants some parts I have here. He told me it might need a bit of work and probably forgot I can get parts for it cheaper than he can. I can go get it for maybe 30 bucks in gas. the iron alone is worth 1500 and the series 2 head is worth 600 just as scrap parts. Yes Ron I can fab most anything again. I was looking at around 500 just in machine work on the turbo motor, Rods resized, bore the block, redo the piston heights and such. Funny stuff like hardened seats in a head would be easy again.

It gets worse. He mentioned the desire for my personal library too. 40 or 50 technical manuals with a minimum price of 55 and some personal notes that are worth 2000 a page. Options on a CNC from the factory are around 1500 each. I have a book full of them that covers almost everything including factory passwords.

I'll wind up with the mill for free so I think I'll take it. Worst case is 750 bucks against 50 bucks an hour=15 hours or just under 2 days work.

·
1,175 Posts
Well...... You could be ahead buying your own milling machine at the price you quoted, keeping your personal library, etc. The last things you mentioned seem to be not so good a deal.

Or: you could agree on the milling machine and get some part time work in the bargain, keep your personal library, etc. though, it's yours. Working part time is only worth so much and you should be paid for it....you shouldn't be the one paying anyone else. By employing you he indirectly has access to the other stuff that should be good enough.

Either way, and back to Opel's, you could do an awful lot of engine repair work with that machine.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as for the mauals he wants them on paper, I have them on CD. Most of which have been moved to files on the computers so no issue there. What you thought I'd give up all single copies?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts