Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys I found another Opel GT. This time it is a 1972. It is orange with a black interior. It is a 4 speed. The engine threw a rod about 30 years ago. Here are some picture what do you think it is worth? It is about 2 hours from me and my grandpa said it would be about $100 in gas to get there and back. I would mainly get this car for the 4 speed so I could swap it into my car. The other parts like the windows and some of the body parts might be good too.
Pics:
No photo description available.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It’s a lot of time and effort dragging home a parts car like this (oh don’t put it in or near your garage as it could be housing all types of varmits). Might be worth it for the 4-speed manual parts you need.
You may even be able to sell something from it but I don’t see many good parts. And you’ll be in the packing & shipping business too.

·
Über Genius
9,801 Posts
That's a rough one.
Are there $100 in parts? yes
Is it worth much more than that? Welllllll.....

Reactions: jayhawkjesse33

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you need parts, are ready to strip it down, store the parts and can dispose of the carcass, you have a gas cap, windshield, doors (I assume - none shown), 4 spd set-up, gauges, switches, front end, rear end, front bumper looks pretty straight (may clean up a bit), etc. The trans set-up is worth a few hundred and if you can access a lift, that makes the job much easier. Thirty years ago, I would strip a GT out in one day by myself, with impact tools and sometimes a torch. Because of the car's condition, most people wouldn't touch it because it's too far gone but if you need the parts, it may be worth it.
Below is a '69 like yours almost ready for the scrap guy.

Attachments

·
Opeler
143 Posts
Windshield looks like it might be ok. European buy going on now appears it may be approximately $800 to your door for new one. Has a webber that may be salvageable. I've bought a couple in similar shape for windshield and parts. It's been ten years or so and can't remember for sure what I paid but it was around $100 - 2 $200 ea. I still have one to cut up to make room in the barn.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all you responses everybody. The guy want $300 for it and It would be about $100 in gas to get it. I just don't know where I would get a 4 speed that cheap and close to me. It is about 2 hours away. The front bumper looks good, the windshield, and I need some of the body panels for my GT. I talked to my grandpa and he said that we could get it. I will keep talking to the owner and see what happens. Should I offer him like $200 for it?

·
Registered
The Young One
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well The guy says that he can't go lower than $300. He says that he has a ton of people wanting parts off of it but he doesn't want to sell parts just the whole car. He ays you could get $300 just for the trans. He also might be able to get the title it sounds like.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never hurts to try and lower price. If you are capable of doing ebay you should be at least able to recoup your money and get your 4 speed. Parting it out will give you some insight into the GT and something to do this summer.
The only problem is I don't have any room at my house since I live in a woods and a neighborhood. I guess I could part it out at my grandparent's house but I really wish we had a barn at my house So I could do stuff like that. What do you guys think the windshield and the valueable stuff is worth?

Also opeljohn have you got any updates on the springfield show?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well The guy says that he can't go lower than $300. He says that he has a ton of people wanting parts off of it but he doesn't want to sell parts just the whole car. He ays you could get $300 just for the trans. He also might be able to get the title it sounds like.
Yes, he could; but how many hours is it going to take him to to pull it?
$300 may not be out of line in this market. Even projects are bringing double and tripe what they did in 2019.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, he could; but how many hours is it going to take him to to pull it?
$300 may not be out of line in this market. Even projects are bringing double and tripe what they did in 2019.
I paid $300 for my 1969 GT about a year ago. But it also was my great uncle who sold it too me. The body is destroyed but it runs very good and it has a red interior. I still have less than $1000 in my GT including what I paid for it. I am really hopeing there might be a way to get a title on this 1972 but it might be a lost cause.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
At your age you have more time to part it out and recoup your costs. As time goes by and life gets busier it the idea of parting out becomes less appealing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
$300 is fair but I want you to understand you’re buying a lot of work.

There’s a lot of valuable knowledge gained when parting out a car and some good spare parts, often you can even get your money back and if you’re lucky end up making about $5 per hour selling off bits of it.

The thing with selling car parts is you are usually shipping them. Large heavy boxes are needed along with packing material. I never list anything for sale unless I already have a box for it. But most important shipping is super expensive. And when selling used parts it’s easy for someone to be disappointed when they receive an old part. I’ve never sold a windshield & wouldn’t try to ship one

A title is super important. In my state I couldn’t get a scrap yard to take it much less give me any cash.

I think it’s a decent buy and you’ll get the parts you need. Remember that any part may need significant work, the transmission will most likely need a rebuild.

In my 20s I bought a really cool ‘69 Corvair convertible from the original owner.
I liked the car but decided getting a ski boat and spending time with young ladies in bikinis was a better alternative to old cars - an excellent choice for all concerned and now there’s still a lot of old cars around.

·
UngerDog
1,343 Posts
Explain to him that you can find GT 4 speeds for $100. But, it wouldn't make sense for this one with the additional shipping cost.
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Maybe he will take the $200 offer or meet you halfway at $250.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can ship out parts just fine. My dad gets a ton of boxes from his work and that is never a problem. I will probably get it if he can hold it for a few weeks. I have drivers ed this week and next week and my grandparents are going to a car club show the next week. My grandpa is the only one with a truck and a trailer. I just really like the idea of a 4 speed in my GT.

Reactions: Nitromancer
1 - 20 of 55 Posts