Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What about not trying to restore the GT you have? Wait till you are older and buy a GT that has a good body and a manual trans. Restore that instead. Let this GT serve as your fun for now. Body work is not easy and if you’re chasing rust on your car, you could find out that the body has too much rust.

Even if you do end up restoring and converting your GT, you don’t have the funds to really pursue that right now. I’d focus on the cheaper stuff. Rebuild the engine and put money into improving it. Then the engine is done when you restore the car or put it into a better car.

Just something to think about.
We are not planning to completely restore my car. We are kind of makeing it into a race car. We will fix the rockers but that will be the only rust that we will really take on. My Gt is kind of a daily GT or a beater GT that has a destroyed body but a good engine and maybe some day a good suspension.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you can get it for $100, then go for it.

But I thought your grandpa was trying to get rid of cars on the property, not add more? :p Isn't that why you got the GT, to get it out of his barn?

Since you will presumably always be short on funds (a teenager with little or no budget), then I think your future holds a lot of bodywork on junky GTs. So, no point in avoiding it, get crackin'.

FIRST... make sure your GT is safe enough to drive and runs reliably. I'd patch the holes and rust spots. Then consider doing upgrades like a 4-speed. Don't give in to the temptation to take apart functioning systems, or you're backsliding from Car and toward Lawn Ornament again.

Autos are so rare, that any GT you do buy is likely to have a 4-speed in it, so it's not much of a luxury. When you buy a car, buy one that'll be the one you fix up first. Don't start accumulating iron on someone else's property.

Right now you don't put a lot of time into your Opel, so, careful about adding a 3rd GT to your grandpa's property. You already don't work on the one/two you have much at all.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
If you can get it for $100, then go for it.

But I thought your grandpa was trying to get rid of cars on the property, not add more? :p Isn't that why you got the GT, to get it out of his barn?

Since you will presumably always be short on funds (a teenager with little or no budget), then I think your future holds a lot of bodywork on junky GTs. So, no point in avoiding it, get crackin'.

FIRST... make sure your GT is safe enough to drive and runs reliably. I'd patch the holes and rust spots. Then consider doing upgrades like a 4-speed. Don't give in to the temptation to take apart functioning systems, or you're backsliding from Car and toward Lawn Ornament again.

Autos are so rare, that any GT you do buy is likely to have a 4-speed in it, so it's not much of a luxury. When you buy a car, buy one that'll be the one you fix up first. Don't start accumulating iron on someone else's property.

Right now you don't put a lot of time into your Opel, so, careful about adding a 3rd GT to your grandpa's property. You already don't work on the one/two you have much at all.
It is my great uncle with the 40+ cars. My grandpa has a few mg and triumphs and he actually restores his cars and doesn't let them sit for 20 years like my great uncle.

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Opeler
1,133 Posts
My Gt is kind of a daily GT or a beater GT that has a destroyed body but a good engine and maybe some day a good suspension.
The Opel GT is a uni body or another term is monocoque. That means the body IS the frame. Having a "beater daily driver" is all well and good, but as others have said, patch the car up so it is safe to be on the road, not just for your sake, but for the sake of all who are using the road with you. If you go to step on the clutch or brake and your seat tears out, because the floors are rotted out, and and flips backwards on you (don't laugh, I have seen it happen several times in the past, or if you lose a wheel or a rear suspension component tears loose because the body is all rotted at the attachment points, you could lose control and crash into someone and kill them or yourself. Functioning brakes and suspension are another important factor. I have always built my cars with brakes, suspension and chassis as the first and foremost upgrades and or repairs, ALWAYS. Being able to go fast don't mean anything if you can't stop quickly and safely at the end.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The Opel GT is a uni body or another term is monocoque. That means the body IS the frame. Having a "beater daily driver" is all well and good, but as others have said, patch the car up so it is safe to be on the road, not just for your sake, but for the sake of all who are using the road with you. If you go to step on the clutch or brake and your seat tears out, because the floors are rotted out, and and flips backwards on you (don't laugh, I have seen it happen several times in the past, or if you lose a wheel or a rear suspension component tears loose because the body is all rotted at the attachment points, you could lose control and crash into someone and kill them or yourself. Functioning brakes and suspension are another important factor. I have always built my cars with brakes, suspension and chassis as the first and foremost upgrades and or repairs, ALWAYS. Being able to go fast don't mean anything if you can't stop quickly and safely at the end.
On My GT for some reason the floors are almost perfect they only have like one dime size hole it them. You are right though. We probably will down the road keep on fixing more rust and getting it to look better.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ok guys My grandpa called the guy and we are sceduled to pick it up This Friday! Turns out it rolls since he has moved it. He bought it when he was 19 and put a brand new weber on it. Ww might be able to get the title for it we just need the vin. He said he would help with that. Also it sound like the engine might be saveable. When he as explaining it to my grandpa, my grandpa thinks it might not be the rod. I was thinking maybe a hydralic lifter got stuck? So it was running when he parked it and he parked it because of the noise. If we are really lucky maybe it is just valve that need adjusted. My grandpa is getting new tires on the trailer today so we will be set to go.

I will be making a new thread on it once I get but I just thought you guys might want to know what is happening.

·
Über Genius
9,799 Posts
It's probably not just a valve needing adjusted.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
What're you up to, 3 GTs now and you're not even old enough to drive?

walks away muttering about some lucky little sh!t
No I will be at 2 GTs. I am still trying to get my great uncle's other GT but I may not get that one. I am doing drivers ed right now so I will hopefully have my permit in a few weeks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
All the best with GT number two Sam! I think that you will be very happy with the knowledge you will obtain from breaking it down will probably be worth what you paid for it, time will tell. The value of the spare parts you'll get, the 4spd parts are worth what you're paying, a good clean gas cap with a key is 100, the blitz, GT letters if clean are worth as much as new plastic ones to many people, an extra windshield is great to have as a spare or can be sold, etc. etc. you will be in good shape. IMHO

·
Registered
The Young One
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ok Guys I got it! Here is a new thread explaining about it.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts