Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Vendor
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about BMW using a subscription-based model for certain options on their cars in different countries (not in the USA yet) I'm curious what you guys think about this approach. Tesla probably opened the door to this with subscription based software upgrades, but I don't think I ever heard about a car already equipped with a piece of "hardware" like a heated seat, that is disabled until the owner purchases a subscription. Definitely an interesting business model, but not one that most car owners would embrace (in my opinion)

·
Vendor
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also would have a hard time with this approach, but I wonder if younger buyers would have the same adversion to the subscription idea. Someone compared it to gaming, where these types of "microtransactions" are pretty common for unlocking features and functions. I suspect BMW is targeting those future customers, and not really concerned with geezers like me (who happens to own a BMW, and has purchased several others in the past) I guess the acceptance of this in the test markets may determine if and when it it rolled out in NA (and if other manufacturers will follow suit)

·
Registered
The Young One
1,368 Posts
I heard about this in car and driver magazine. I will definenly not be buying anything with this. It is kind of like leasing a car and you never make out in those deals anyways.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This was written up in the Wall Street Journal a couple of weeks ago. If the moderators will permit, allow me to express my opinion that this is not just ordinary bullshit, but rather it is terrifying bullshit. Talk about Big Brother!

Until last year, the last new car I ever purchased was my 2006 BMW 330ci drophead coupe. Wonderful car. But it has 200,000 miles on it and the 2002 330ci that I also owned had 250,000 miles. I make regular 700-mile round trips to New Jersey and I was beginning to experience too many service interruptions. Exit the 2002 vehicle and welcome a low-mileage 2018 BMW 330i. Almost immediately, my dealership was emailing me, telling me that my car was telling it that service was due soon, telling me how many miles since my last service!

Now, don't get me wrong. I was impressed when I read years ago that a USA McLaren driver (BMW power, mind you) would pull over to the side of the road with an issue and telephone someone in England who would tap a few keys and correct the problem (so long as it was not mechanical, such as a thrown connecting rod...). But that would be me, calling the company and letting them in to my car's data -- not my car automatically communicating with my dealer and who knows who else beyond. Sort of like Microsoft constantly automatically updating my laptop. This has to stop!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I'm not at all exited about the thought of this crap in anyway shape or form!!!
It's bad enough you darn near have to have an app for everything these days that not only puts more useless crap on your phone but somehow manages to tie your phone to your computer, tv, thermostat, garage door, oh turn my house lights on, unlock my front door, turn my water heater on, start my car, pop the trunk Flush my dang toilet for crying out loud.
Then there's the hackers and breaches you never find out about until it's to late.

Why is my self driving car taking me to New York I just needed to go to BestBuy for a multiple rca jack connector.
No thank you.
LOL

·
Vendor
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not at all exited about the thought of this crap in anyway shape or form!!!
It's bad enough you darn near have to have an app for everything these days that not only puts more useless crap on your phone but somehow manages to tie your phone to your computer, tv, thermostat, garage door, oh turn my house lights on, unlock my front door, turn my water heater on, start my car, pop the trunk Flush my dang toilet for crying out loud.
Then there's the hackers and breaches you never find out about until it's to late.

Why is my self driving car taking me to New York I just needed to go to BestBuy for a multiple rca jack connector.
No thank you.
LOL
I don't know, Terry. That smart toilet sounds pretty sweet! :unsure:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been reading about BMW using a subscription-based model for certain options on their cars in different countries (not in the USA yet) I'm curious what you guys think about this approach. Tesla probably opened the door to this with subscription based software upgrades, but I don't think I ever heard about a car already equipped with a piece of "hardware" like a heated seat, that is disabled until the owner purchases a subscription. Definitely an interesting business model, but not one that most car owners would embrace (in my opinion)

This is just another way of milking money from customers after the sale.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,591 Posts
It's a continuation of cable TV or your cell phone. You have to get a 'package' that has stuff you don't want so you can get the stuff you want. Then you get to pay extra for the stuff you really want.
Then it starts acting up and customer service can never get everything to work right again and every month you are calling them. Then they start having to send you hardware (cable box/modem/router/phone battery/simcard) at YOUR cost, but it still never works right. Then you get the upgrade offers since you keep having problems. And, eventually, usability suffers as the tech moves on and they don't support your device/software/hardware anymore.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Buy a new computer these days. All the software is a subscription. We just bought a new computer for my wife and we wanted to put the checkbook on it. Subscription unless we want to pay three times what we paid for the computer to buy the software. Then there is dynamic pricing.

·
Vendor
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a continuation of cable TV or your cell phone. You have to get a 'package' that has stuff you don't want so you can get the stuff you want. Then you get to pay extra for the stuff you really want.
Then it starts acting up and customer service can never get everything to work right again and every month you are calling them. Then they start having to send you hardware (cable box/modem/router/phone battery/simcard) at YOUR cost, but it still never works right. Then you get the upgrade offers since you keep having problems. And, eventually, usability suffers as the tech moves on and they don't support your device/software/hardware anymore.
And in the meantime, your butt is cold since you forgot to pay your heated seat subscription... :p

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
And, eventually, usability suffers as the tech moves on and they don't support your device/software/hardware anymore.
Exactly, As a perfect example, anyone care to guess how many cell phones I've had to buy/upgrade too because my credit card readers no longer (support) that device?
I call B.S. LOL

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Buy a new computer these days. All the software is a subscription. We just bought a new computer for my wife and we wanted to put the checkbook on it. Subscription unless we want to pay three times what we paid for the computer to buy the software. Then there is dynamic pricing.
I too was shocked when I bought my last computer, All the software we use ( that used to be already installed) had to be purchased separately. It seemed the computer came only with the basic operating system just so you could turn it on.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
1,051 Posts
The point that really bothers me about this issue that has not been mentioned, if the fact that BMW is installing options on the car that you may not want or may not be willing to purchase. Well guess what they are not putting them on there for free. Guarantee the price of those heated seats is hidden in the price of the car so you pay for them and then you are charged a monthly fee as well. Insane.....Whats next windshield wipers.....

·
Über Genius
9,884 Posts
The point that really bothers me about this issue that has not been mentioned, if the fact that BMW is installing options on the car that you may not want or may not be willing to purchase. Well guess what they are not putting them on there for free. Guarantee the price of those heated seats is hidden in the price of the car so you pay for them and then you are charged a monthly fee as well. Insane.....Whats next windshield wipers.....
Next step will be an gas cap unlock fee.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,368 Posts
I wonder if there was some way you could hack into the car and get the heated seats somehow without spending the monthly money?

Reactions: Will I. Finish
1 - 20 of 43 Posts