Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
1,377 Posts
I got rid of my cell phone the day I retired back in 2010. I seem to get by just fine without it. My philosophy is: low tech moving toward no tech!
I don't have a cell phone even though I am 15 years old. I don't know if I will ever get one. My parents don't have one either. If I were to get a cell phone I would have to buy it myself and pay for the monthly payments. I could do that but I would rather put money in my opel and my other projects. I just have my parent's old computer and that is all I use.

·
Can Opeler
4,041 Posts
I wonder if there was some way you could hack into the car and get the heated seats somehow without spending the monthly money?
No need to hack. The wiring is all there you just have to bypass the computer if necessary and install a switch.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The subscription model has been perverted. Originally it was for magazines, newspapers, book club, etc, where new content was being delivered.

I don’t mind the subscription model for software iff support is there, bug fixes are timely, valuable new features are added, AND the software continues to work if the subscription goes unpaid. Most software also requires continuous work to keep up with changes in technology, which moves so fast many chips are replaced with new ones every six months or so. Companies like Microsoft suck because they make changes only for the money, nobody wants to upgrade when the UI changes and it needs to be learned all over again.

Subscriptions in hardware, like heated car seats, are a blatant ripoff. Nothing has been changed, nothing has been added, and it’s already been paid for. They are holding your car seats hostage and it’s a crime.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If you cut or spice into the wires it may throw a code. If the car stops running that may be illegal, other than emissions and some safety issues it is generally legal to make modifications to your car.

·
Vendor
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'd like to hear how this is being received in the places it has already been rolled out. Any reports from our members England? After all, the
success or failure of the pilot program will largely determine how bmw and other car makers proceed.

·
Opeler
753 Posts
Yeah, $18.00/month.. and what happens when it stops working... I bet the subscription continues.

It's just another way for car manufactures of tap into the wallets of the consumers. So much of our lives are driven by big tec that is getting pretty scarry. My newest car is a 2011 Mazdaspeed 3. I have no desire to own anything newer. Everything is paid for; I intend on keeping it that way.

·
Can Opeler
4,041 Posts
If you cut or spice into the wires it may throw a code. If the car stops running that may be illegal, other than emissions and some safety issues it is generally legal to make modifications to your car.
Even if that’s the case almost every car on the market gets it ECU “cracked” within a few months of release. That’s how I have a custom tune on my Toyota Tacoma as well as having nannies like the rev limiter, beepers, speed limiter, etc disabled or modified.

The seat heater thing will end up being a free modification off the internet you can update using the BMW diagnostic software/ ecu update tool I’ll almost guarantee.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,350 Posts
If you guys think this is bad, Tesla has started a similar train of thought that features the original owner paid for, are disabled when the car is sold to someone else. So the next owner has to pay to enable them. An example is autopilot.

I’ll never own a car that has subscription services or additional fees, to use stuff already in the car. The only exception is SiriusXM and I can understand that one. It was always a subscription platform that now comes automatically built in on lots of cars just in case you want it. I prefer to just use my phone instead and use YouTube music.

·
Über Genius
9,887 Posts
The people are supposed to have the power.
I propose a law where there can be no disabling functions allowed on ANYTHING sold in the US. And prison sentences for planned obsolescence.

FWIW, I have a 17 year old computer that has been running 24/7 for the whole time. I've had to replace the motherboard once in it (and still keep a spare) but it runs 4 versions of windows. They forgot to add the breakdown sequences to that motherboard.

Reactions: kwschumm

·
Registered
The Young One
1,377 Posts
The iconicsounds sport sounds kind of stupid. Is it just engine noizes coming from the radio speakers? If it was me I would just straight pipe it or put a couple glasspacks in the exhaust instead of fake noizes. Reading my magazines I have heard about the engine noizes coming through the radio speakers thing. Just sounds stupid.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The iconicsounds sport sounds kind of stupid. Is it just engine noizes coming from the radio speakers? If it was me I would just straight pipe it or put a couple glasspacks in the exhaust instead of fake noizes. Reading my magazines I have heard about the engine noizes coming through the radio speakers thing. Just sounds stupid.
That is just lame nonsense!

·
Opeler
1,636 Posts
That is the electronic version of putting cardboard in your bicycle spokes!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts