Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I went down the rabbit hole yesterday looking at this swap.

I'm particularly interested in a simple LSD swap not for racing but for snowy roads since I'll probably try to drive my GT in the winter too. I figured an LSD should half-way compensate as traction control. But, figuring out the exact specifics of what I'd need to buy or change is daunting. Is it possible just to swap the diff and leave everything else the same? There's mention in some threads about needing fender flares and other bodywork I have no interest in doing.

I do have an extra rear end, which is coincidentally the more modern axle type, so that's a good start.

·
Opeler
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)

I'm particularly interested in a simple LSD swap not for racing but for snowy roads since I'll probably try to drive my GT in the winter too. I figured an LSD should half-way compensate as traction control. But, figuring out the exact specifics of what I'd need to buy or change is daunting. Is it possible just to swap the diff and leave everything else the same? There's mention in some threads about needing fender flares and other bodywork I have no interest in doing.

I do have an extra rear end, which is coincidentally the more modern axle type, so that's a good start.
I've been looking at an LSD too. Of course, there is the Quaife:

There is a similar model on ebay, bit less expensive and the seller claims it to be equivalent.

Both of these are intended to work with numerically higher gear ratios, 3.67-3.90.
There is a thread on having the stock 3.44 ring gear machined down a few mm. Seems like a very viable option.
The ebay model is interesting, no shipping costs and no sterling to USD conversion factor.

EDIT:
if you're just looking for better traction in the winter, you could consider an LSD option more like this:

It's not a robust as the Quaife style units but much simpler to install.
The biggest downsides I've seen is that it utilizes the stock spider gears which can be a bit brittle making them a weak link.

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
This is a link to the Gripper site. You can customize your order to the gear set you desire. If the link works I customized the current item to 3:44 gears, road/auto cross performance

Nope...it didn't hold the customization. Choose 19.6 offset, the rest is easy. These babies are not cheap and may take a long time to get.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Don’t know if it will help, but I found a few of my Isuzu bearings today.

First pic is of the two pinion bearings. The second pic is of one of the differential carrier bearings.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Not to hijack, but, for me...

Budget-wise, I'm looking for a junkyard solution. Not a fancy new performance solution. I paid $200 + $200 for my GT corpses :p.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts

I do have the Isuzu housing and correct axles for anyone wanting the wider trak in the rear. It is probably only going to be available locally unless someone wants it badly enough to pay that type of freight. I'll band it all to a pallet and ship it if anyone is interested.

·
Opeler
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I was able to order new pinion bearings and a crush sleeve from Isuzu using the part numbers that Bob supplied.
Once they actually come in, I'll verify they sent the right thing.
Isuzu didn't have the carrier bearings but RockAuto does if I search for the actual part number instead of by fitment.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Perhaps you should have ordered a pair of extra crush sleeves just in case ? Next time you need one they could be discontinued.

·
Opeler
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Perhaps you should have ordered a pair of extra crush sleeves just in case ? Next time you need one they could be discontinued.
Very good idea, i want to verify I get the right parts! It's listed correctly but then again so were the "other" bearings I bought.
If these look good, I'll have to order a "spare" set :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts