Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to the group. Have used a lot of advice from the group. Been a big help.
73 GT, had a new electric fuel pump installed and pressure regulator. Was running fantastic. Out for a drive a few weeks back. Bogged down, couldn’t restart, ended up towing er home. “First drive with wife in the car”. When we put in the fuel pump I had installed a new clear filter before the pump and after the regulator before the Weber carburetor. Well the pump just wasn’t getting fuel. Removed the line between the tank and the filter. It was just trickling out. Applied some air pressure “whoosh” fuel was running well from the tank after that.

Now it starts well, but runs crappy. Stalls at idle, backfires occasionally just doesn’t sound right. Fuel Sock Syndrome? Or?

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Fairly new to the group. Have used a lot of advice from the group. Been a big help.
73 GT, had a new electric fuel pump installed and pressure regulator. Was running fantastic. Out for a drive a few weeks back. Bogged down, couldn’t restart, ended up towing er home. “First drive with wife in the car”. When we put in the fuel pump I had installed a new clear filter before the pump and after the regulator before the Weber carburetor. Well the pump just wasn’t getting fuel. Removed the line between the tank and the filter. It was just trickling out. Applied some air pressure “whoosh” fuel was running well from the tank after that.

Now it starts well, but runs crappy. Stalls at idle, backfires occasionally just doesn’t sound right. Fuel Sock Syndrome? Or?
Where did you place the electric fuel pump and filter?

Has the fuel tank sock been removed?

What carb? Very common for fuel debris to make it past the filter(s) and end up in an idle jet. If it is a Weber, very easy to remove the idle jets and clean them out. Better still, also remove the carb top and clean out the float bowl, main jets, air correctors and emulsion tubes.

What pressure is the regulator set to?

Where is Canada are you?

Reactions: The Cub

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,524 Posts
You need to remove the fuel tank and clean it out. Might need to have it coated. Then you can check the lines, filters, fuel pump, and carb for debris. It sucks but that's what I would do. You said you blew out the fuel line connected to the fuel tank and then it flowed fine. That means your fuel tank is full of crap and it's not surprising when these tanks are 50 years old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez. I really don’t want to do that right now. But your probably right.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Inside the tank at the outlet there is a fuel "sock" that was intended to filter out tank debris. Eventually it plugs up, interfering with fuel flow. Better to do this with external filters that can be easily replaced so most people remove it. Search here for methods of removal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts