Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got everything installed and yesterday for the first time I put a fire in it....easy start...but no oil pressure.....I then revved it up and all of a sudden the gauge slams to 5...and stays there...that is until I lower the idle...and again loose oil pressure..... seems I have a leak before the pump...loosing vacuum (prime)...I did find out that I have a late timing cover and an early lower oil plate...in other words Ido not have a oil pressure check valve in the system...called Gil and that's on it's way...he thought possibly the pick up tube has a crack in it...(makes the most sense.)...I will pull the oil filter (which is not ballooned)...and check the valve in the filter... I am dreading pulling the pan to check the pick-up tube... think I will wait a couple days before trying that... Bad day at the Fort....

·
Super Moderator
13,725 Posts
I finally got everything installed and yesterday for the first time I put a fire in it....easy start...but no oil pressure.....I then revved it up and all of a sudden the gauge slams to 5...and stays there...that is until I lower the idle...and again loose oil pressure..... seems I have a leak before the pump...loosing vacuum (prime)...I did find out that I have a late timing cover and an early lower oil plate...in other words Ido not have a oil pressure check valve in the system...called Gil and that's on it's way...he thought possibly the pick up tube has a crack in it...(makes the most sense.)...I will pull the oil filter (which is not ballooned)...and check the valve in the filter... I am dreading pulling the pan to check the pick-up tube... think I will wait a couple days before trying that... Bad day at the Fort....
When you say late timing cover...do you mean from a later 2.0/2.2/2.4 engine?

If so those are machined differently at the oil pump cover. They do NOT use an oil pump cover plate gasket, only anaerobic sealer. Otherwise gear end play is too great and you will have zero pressure at idle.

Reactions: Manta Rallier

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to hear of your OP issue. Personally, I would screw in a test gauge before pulling things apart to verify that its mechanical/priming rather than electrical. Pull the plugs and disable the coil then crank it with the starter and see if any pressure registers on the screw in gauge. If everything is correct you should see something register but if not, it is mechanical but you won't risk engine damage by running it again.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,222 Posts
The valve at the filter is just a bypass for a plugged filter... so if the filter is right then that would not do it. Check the first reply here....

And then put on the test gauge. That should be done before any major work, unless you absolutely know something is wrong.... like Bob's suggestion.

·
Senior Contributor
5,034 Posts
I would pull the dizzy and use a oil pump driver tool.....usually home made...to spin the pump and check for pressure. Another possibility is that the 2 bolts that attach the oil pickup tube to the block are loose.

Reactions: The Cub

·
1000 Post Club
4,112 Posts
Check to see if your oil gauge and oil light wires are reversed. Check the simple things first.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I would pull the dizzy and use a oil pump driver tool.....usually home made...to spin the pump and check for pressure. Another possibility is that the 2 bolts that attach the oil pickup tube to the block are loose.
wasn't someone here talking about making some hehehe
I hope there's a good outcome here real soon Jrapose

·
Über Genius
9,302 Posts
wasn't someone here talking about making some hehehe
I hope there's a good outcome here real soon Jrapose
Yes but not enough interest and way too many "that's a stupid idea" comments put me off.

Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Über Genius
9,302 Posts
Oil pressure isn't the same as oil flow.
I think your wires are connected wrong at the sender though. Been there, drove that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I opened the oil pump and loaded them with white grease....nothing...then I replaced the bottom of the pump with the new style.....(after I removed the old style pump) ...nothing.... Then I pulled the oil filter..empty....so I filled it up...nothing...today I am starting to drop the pan...it just has to be the pick-up tube...I have eliminated everything else..
I CRIED ALL NIGHT.. I sure hate to drop the pan...

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have to concur with you on the pick up tube.
That was my worst fear being the first time I pulled out the engine in my GT that’s why I used the drill method to run the oil pump & watched the oil as it made its way to the back lifter while the engine was on a stand. I also resurfaced the mating flange on the pick up tube to insure a good gasket seal.
I found that cutting off an old distributor shaft was the easiest and surest way to prime the pump.
I ran the drill again when I got the engine in the car to get things flowing before the start up. I got over 2 bars of oil pressure with a drill.

Be sure everything tolerance wise in order on the pump gears & clearance first (it sounds like you’re all over that possibility).
Hopefully at worst it’s just a weak seal at the pick up tube gasket.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,222 Posts
Just to be sure all bases are covered, please answer Bob's question on post #2. Is this timing cover from a 1.9L, or from a 2.0/2.2/2.4L?

Keep in mind that the oil travels up through the pickup tube and then through the block and then into the timing cover. So inspect the interface between block and timing cover to make sure the cover is properly seated and that gasket is sealing properly. If you have the pan off, then drain the coolant and inspect that cover/block interface. An air leak there will do it too.

Hmmmm... No oil in the filter does not make sense for this if you HAD some pressure at some point. Unless the anti-drainback valve in the filter is not there and it all siphoned back down into the pan. What filter brand and PN is being used?

And I agree 100% with the use of the drill and pump adapter shaft before pulling the pan. You will feel the oil pump load the drill and slow it down a bit when the pressure builds, so tht is a good clue to things working or not, regardless of having an operating gauge. You can make this shaft with a 3/8" mild steel rod from the hardware store... hammer one end flat on a hard surface, then clean up and shape the flattened tip with a file and away you go. Use a drill at low speed and it will run up the pressure in a fully dry system in 10-15 seconds at worst.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,222 Posts
Oh, and to add this... I would strongly suggest taking the oil pump cover off and removing that white grease from there. IDK what grease you used and what base your particular grease has, but different bases will have different characteristics and behavior with the heat of an engine. Not all may perform well, and many grease bases will breakdown at under 200F; some bases incorporate water that will get released when it breaks down.

With that new engine, and the break-in process, I would not want anything unknown in the oil. If you feel the need for something packed in the pump, perhaps use vaseline or a thick oil additive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally blocked the engine up, pulled the crossmember and dropped the pan....the pick-up bolts were tight...but the gasket looked messed up...it was indeed torn...the tube had some real bashes in it....they did not look fresh but probably from an earlier engine disaster...while I am in there today I am going to use Plastigage and check the rods and mains for damage....I know if I don't it will bite me in the arse.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,222 Posts
Good work. And wise to inspect further.

If you have any bearing damage, it will show up with visual inspection; plastigage is not necessary as the bearing will score first. Start with the rod bearings as they will tend to be the first to go. Did you hear any knocking when you were first trying to run it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I got into it....I pulled all the rods and they check out at .0025"'.. I am fine with that...mains were fine too...I was worried they would be rough and scratched from the lack of oil...but not at all....it was much nicer than I had feared...Gil overnighted me a new gasket and I managed to get the pan on today.... I found a blown out (I think) pick-up tube gasket... it was so torn up I really could not tell if I ripped it taking the tube off or it was torn before....I made a new gasket and installed it...much better and I know this one will not blow out....I kinda think that the two bolts that hold the tube down were torqued differently...one is really hard to tighten and that is what caused the blow out... When the earth destructs that gasket I made today will still be there...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Awesome news can't wait to here the outcome and hear it purr

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Did you manualy prime the oil pump with a hand drill or whatever means before your initial attempt to start it?

·
Senior Contributor
5,034 Posts
I think you have to run the drill in reverse to get oil pressure. Someone chime in here, my memory is not too good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts