Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I've been getting a few emails about racing an ITB Manta, so I'll post some information here for all to see.

For those who don't know, ITB stands for Improved Touring "B". This is one of the most competative classes in SCCA, and there are usually lots of "Improved touring" cars at all the races. The rules allow only minor improvements to the engine (carb, header, but no cam) and suspension (Polly bushings, shock and spring changes).

Now, here's the bad news for the Manta. The SCCA rules require the Manta to have 7.6:1 compression. There is no way you can be competative with that compression. So for those of you comtemplating a Manta for ITB, you need ask SCCA to allow the 9.0:1 compression. The SCCA club racing technical support manager is Sven Pruett. You can contact him toll free at: 1-800-770-2055 , or you can email him at [email protected]

Now the good news. SCCA has just allowed fuel injected cars to do anything to the FI computer as long as the modifications are done "entirely inside the original housing". For the Manta, that means that we can replace the insides of the computer with a Haltech engine management computer. While the early Bosch FI stuff was not very good, the Haltech will make a world of difference. Based on some what I have seen with the Haltech, the FI will make more HP than the allowed 32/36 Weber. (Mostly because of the FI manifold.) This would only be true for 9.0:1 compression. No matter what you do to the 7.6:1 engine, you'll need to get new doors for your car... 'cause they will get blown off.

By the way, since I mentioned the intake manifold... you're not allowed to modify the intake manifold except where it bolts to the head. When I was winning races in ITB, I was asked to remove the carb more than once so the tech inspector could look to see if any "magic" had been done. So sorry, Rally Bobs magic manifold mods are not allowed.

TGSI Racing
Cool Opel Newbie

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Repaired old thread

1 - 2 of 2 Posts