Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car managed to finish a race but it was so hot and was not fast enough I am going to wait for the new motor to be finished this winter and have a look at better cooling. It was out there and got lots of attn. It also got run into by a spec Miata, I will be so happy when they get their own class next year. So on the plate for winter is drive train, cooling for the motor and some cooling for brakes...they where starting to fade at the end of the session. I counted it as a good test, I know more about the car now and know what to work on, just needs more development. All and all I am happy with the way the weekend went.

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
cherokee said:
The car managed to finish a race but it was so hot and was not fast enough I am going to wait for the new motor to be finished this winter and have a look at better cooling. It was out there and got lots of attn. It also got run into by a spec Miata, I will be so happy when they get their own class next year. So on the plate for winter is drive train, cooling for the motor and some cooling for brakes...they where starting to fade at the end of the session. I counted it as a good test, I know more about the car now and know what to work on, just needs more development. All and all I am happy with the way the weekend went.
Yes, cooling under race conditions has been a pronounced problem for GT's in ITB. In most cases a spin on track resulting in a stalled engine is a DNF...they simply won't restart when they're that hot! A hot running Opel will also sap a lot of its' power, so by improving cooling you should gain a few hp too.

Sorry to hear about the Miata incident, but it's commonplace in this region too. What they can't steer around they hit :)!

Hopefully the damage is minimal, shame to scratch up a beautiful car such as yours.

Got any race pics yet?

Bob

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am thinking of trying one more race in the opel with the exsiting motor to test cooling issues. Going radiator shopping, going to see what the biggest thing I can stuff in there with a minimum of fuss, any suggestions?

I just uploaded some pics of me at the track and of the damage, it is not bad but it does have a good crease in it. I will just bang it out best I can put a lens in and go.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If Bob from TGSI is still around (and listening) the race proven radiator I bought from him has been doing a great job. I've only used it at ambient temps of around 75-80 but I've never seen the temp gauge go more then a 1/3. It usually stays put just over the 1/4 or less.

This is on a 2.2 top/bottom motor that runs pretty hot. (and driven hard... :D )

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going with a custom radiator, custom tanks a little wider then stock 3 core 3 pass. Have to move the spot welded brackets over or come up with a new way to secure the top of the radiator. Shooting for Gateway in about a month. Will let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts