Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 10 or 12 years of languishing in the PO's garage, my gt is alive again!! it wouldn't run on the gas that was in it (which had turned to a dark red varnish), so i got some 100 low lead aviation gas for it. drained the tank, filled it with 100 LL, and voila, the sweet (although unmuffled) sound of an opel's heartbeat reverberated throughout the garage!!

i still have a ways to go, and was reading about the pcv issue tonight and have to fill my holes, but at least for now i can yell from the highest mountain ... IT LIVES AGAIN!!!

now, if i only had working brakes...

mike

·
2,054 Posts
I also had the same situation; 13 year old gas in a car improperly stored (ours was abandoned til I found it).

Because bad gasoline is damn near impossible to get rid of legally, I diluted it with good gas, installed one of those cheap see-through Volkswagon after-marker fuel filters back near the tank, and burned it through the original solex carb.

Ran real bad, but it ran. I replaced the sacraficial fuel filter several times, changed the real one several times, and eventually removed the cheap sacraficial one altogether. And replaced/relocated a glass re-useable filter up near the carb where it's easy to get at.

Anyway, I recommend changing your filter often since the car sat so long.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts