Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im back my fellow opelers.

oh my god boot camp sucks. i will be up here in great lakes for about 48 more days guys and then maybe i can drive my opel. so how is everything .
hello dave, ron, jared, everone. maybe i will see you in the chat room to night.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
WB Aaron, the worst part is almost over, next comes "A" school, after that, the fun? begins. Worst case scenario, it's only for just a bit under four years and you'll be a civilian again. :D

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Great Mistakes

Coming from a guy who just ended his term of servitude in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, I will warn you that while I disliked boot camp while I was there, I spent the rest of my 8 1/2 years wishing I could go back to it. At least most squids don't have to worry anout the car bombs in Iraq, right?

Have fun, and remember that for the first 6 months of your service you can still quit and get a no-harm no-foul discharge.

Stephen, formerly EM1(SS) Vaillancourt

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Great Lakes NTC . . .

opelgtmaster3 said:
im back my fellow opelers.

oh my god boot camp sucks. i will be up here in great lakes for about 48 more days guys and then maybe i can drive my opel. so how is everything .
hello dave, ron, jared, everone. maybe i will see you in the chat room to night.
Great Lakes NTC, now THERE's a place with some memories . . . from long, long ago!

Traveled there by train from Detroit, did both boot camp and ET-A school (discrete tube circuits, before transistors even) there, '61-'62, sang in the Blue-Jackets Choir (is that still there?) and then was posted to only ship I was ever on for the next 3.5 years (I got extended for 6 months - Nam & "critical specialty"), the USS Ault DD-698, a Sumner Class, FRAM'ed short-hull "tin can" (Destroyer), primarily out of Mayport, FL before transfer to Pacific Fleet. Made ET1, but too little active time left, so officially ET2.

Well, welcome to the squids among us.

·
Opeler
107 Posts
Should of joined the AF :)

Just kidding, Welcome to the team. Speaking of Opels, I will have to part with all of mine by May so I can take my next assignment (overseas). Too long of an assignment to put them in storage this time. Local guys/gals get first dibs

MSgt, USAF 19yrs+

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
its so really cold up here at great lakes. i go to pensacola for a school. i hope its better than this place, like the people. so you can still get out before six months with out a other than honorable discarge. how do you do that. i spent my 19th birthday here. man did that suck.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Actually I thought boot camp at San Diego was mostly fun and games. Mind games, really. I went to EN "A" school at Great Lakes in the summertime, that was a really neat experience. The Chicago night life was an absolute trip for this Montana farm kid. Nearby was a major NHRA drag strip, Kenosha I think, where I got to see major top name drag racing. Had fun in the pits talking to the people I had seen before in Hot Rod magazine.
The Navy was quite educational. I got to see things all over the world that most people don't. Lived with incredible technology all around me, where else can you be sitting down having breakfast and see a Mk48 torpedo go by on a hoist? Sure, a lot of it really sucked big ones, I disliked the major stupidity that abounds there, and I learned to despise the concept of military "professionalism". And I learned what a disgusting joke the so-called "equal opportunity program" was, it promoted racism more than prevented it!
Enjoy your experience, learn all you can, and when it gets you down just think, it'll all be over in a flash. Above all, learn how to get along with people whether you like them or not. That is the best thing I got out of it!

·
Opeler
62 Posts
If you are coming to Pensacola for A school, feel free to email me (yigerAThotmail.com) [use the @ symbol obviously...] when you get into town... I'm stationed here for flight school and would be willing to show you around town... Will you be bringing your Opel to FL?
Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.