Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through the FSM, there was a specific tool to help with removing the universal joint's pinion flange from the propeller shaft inside the torque tube. Two bolts (J-8614-10 or J-44873-2) would secure the flange holder (J--8614-11, the large wrench-like tool) while the flange remover (J-8614-2, positioned between the flange holder and the pinion flange) used a screw (J-8614-3, called a forcing screw) to push against the propeller shaft. This tool works similarly to a pulley remover. Chances are, this wouldn't be a tool used regularly in a home garage but could be a useful community tool. It still can be sourced today, at least if you're patient in finding the parts. A similar tool wouldn't be hard to create either, but this is a curious tool. It seems that the flange holder is the expensive part of this kit.

Kent-Moore-Tool-J-8614-Pinion-Flange-Holder_1.jpg Kent-Moore-Tool-J-8614-Pinion-Flange-Holder_2.jpg Kent-Moore-Tool-J-8614-Pinion-Flange-Holder_3.jpg Kent-Moore-Tool-J-8614-Pinion-Flange-Holder_4.jpg Kent-Moore-Tool-J-8614-Pinion-Flange-Holder_5.jpg Kent-Moore-Tool-J-8614-Pinion-Flange-Holder_6.jpg Kent-Moore-Tool-J-8614-Pinion-Flange-Holder_7.jpg Kent-Moore-Tool-J-8614-Pinion-Flange-Holder_8.jpg Kent-Moore-Tool-J-8614-Pinion-Flange-Holder_9.jpg

·
Can Opeler
3,421 Posts
I’d skip this one. A bearing puller works just fine for this. Takes 2 seconds with an impact and a bearing puller:)

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it would be possible to use something else to achieve the same task. Sometimes I think OE's create special tools just to keep the engineers busy. Which, isn't a bad idea. Engineers don't idle well.

·
Über Genius
9,302 Posts
I use a generic steering wheel puller. Used to be $10 at HF

Reactions: Autoholic

·
1,657 Posts
As others stated a standard puller works great.
The tool you posted was used on the larger GM cars and trucks (I had 40 years at GM dealers) and most techs would not use this tool, only as a last resort. HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts