Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sitting here in front of the computer tonight looking at the site and going to look at other sites looking for ideas and dreaming of the day when I get my GT out on the road again and I just thought to myself.. You know, what a great bunch of people you all are.

We come for all different aspects of life.. Different incomes, different political views, different degrees of education, different stages in our lives and yet we all share this one commen bond, the love for our Opels. How is it that we can show such an affinity for something that is really just sheet metal, plastic, glass, rubber and fabric? Who knows and who cares, we just do.

There are some other forums that I go to and participate in. Many of the discussions get quite ugly and crude. Lots of name calling, threats, and just ugly things that make you angry and get your blood pressure up.

That is one thing that is so nice about this forum. We are all so considerate to each other and willing to help out when we can. Some of you have willingly helped me so graciously without regard for wanting returns and I sincerely thank you. You know who you are.

Once I get my car back on the road again, I am POSITIVE that I will finally meet many of you in person. Yes, Ill go to carlisle, yes Ill go to many other shows and yes, your damn skippy Ill return the favors given to me by passing on the kindness and knowledge.

Gary, thank you so much for having this site. It is awesome!!!

All of you. Good luck with your projects and hopefully I'll see you in Carlisle soon.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yes, how nicely put. There just isn't a nicer, more helpful bunch anywhere!
Our common affinity, as Thom puts it, seems similar to that found among the lovers of a certain brand of American made motorcycles. Well, minus the leather and the tattoos :D ...
On second thought, at least one of us must have the Opel "blitz" logo tattooed on them somewhere, huh?
I feel I have fallen into a unique brotherhood at gt.com, that I have made friends all over the world, and can rely on the advice given by the experts here!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I will gladly third it- this site has help to put my Opel on the road and saved me a ton of money ( almost like Gieco) The only down side is getting blasted by Otto for posting in the wrong forum :D Just kidding Otto- love ya :cool:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
As Thom and the others have said, and I concur, it is the folks on this site that make it what it is. I don't know if it is because of our love for the marquee or because we've been to other sites and been exposed to the flaming and other bad vibes that goes on those sites. I found this one, like the venue, and the demeanor, and all the assistance, and advice, ad infinitum, that happens here. The moderators and site owner keep us straight, but it's the folks that make it what it is. My personal thanks to each of you.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Hmm....the Opel: care to restore, work to get parts for, love for a fine piece of machinery and the beauty of the body. It is only stands to reason that the owners should have some of those same qualities! Well, maybe some of us don't have that nice of a body but it's all in the heart. :D

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I've noticed that as a general rule auto restorers have a high patience level, the older and more obscure marques brings out the cream of the crop. It doesn't take long to see how important it is to be able to ask that odd question and get an answer. This site has made it possible for the promotion of some strong friendships among a group of people from many walks of life with a common interest.

Now is as good a time as any to give a big thank you to ya'll. I've pulled off some very odd things with the aid and support I get here. I also know that it will be possible to bounce ideas around in the future. Thanks again

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
there are only 2 website i go to. i go to hotmail.com to check my mail hoping for opel related stuff, and i spend 90 percent of my time here online, in the forums. even if i may not meet all the people i talk to on this website, i still hold you among my only friends. i've met more "real" friends on opelgt.com than i have elsewhere, if not for everyone of you guy who've helped me, which by now is about everybody, i woudlnt even be driving a GT, let alone a opel at all. the patience people have here is extremely amazing and willingness to help is surpassed by no other group of people. i am giving personal thanks to everyone on here, whether you think you have helped or not, we all make the group, and the group is what we are all here for, i believe its become more about the people here as friends than the cars which binds us.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
A note on the quality of people here. I don't list my birthday on this site. So it looks like somebody has told......Liz. I just recieved one of the Opel flags from a good friend with a happy birthday note. Way too sweet, somebody has been checking my Ebay history. Opel Restorers are great people, thanks Dean.

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
This web site has cost me THOUSANDS of dollars. Without this site I would never have spent so much money on upgrades and improvements to my Manta. :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
nobody said:
I've noticed that as a general rule auto restorers have a high patience level ...
You should know this being one of the people kind enough to 'stand' over my shoulder while I tried to understand some of the finer points of putting my GT back together. :D
Sometimes I don't think it's appreciated just how valuable this site is and has been. Between the people who make parts available and affordable (you know who you are in my case) and give instruction and advice, and just the simple knowledge of what to get - where to get - and how to get, it allows a person to enjoy one of these great cars without having to be swallowed by the great pit of despair. I have thought often of the slogging I would have done without this base to work from and frankly I'd rather not have come to hate my GT because of all the hell I would have gone through.
As Thom said, the willingness and consideration from all here is phenomenal. Thanks to you all. You rule.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
So, what is it, Dave's birthday now? Jeez, everybody has a birthday, and even NOBODY has one too, although unless it magically appears in the "today's birthday" list, how would we know? Also, whenever I check out a personal profile I usually always find a very bland, nondescript, uninformative description of our fellow Opelitis sufferer.
Inquisitive minds want to know.
Open up, friends, fill out the blanks in the personal files, get pictures in the garage, get happy birthdays from good folks you've never met, let's have a big group hug and .... well, let's not get carried away :D
Just now I noticed I am a "senior contributor" now. :eek:
To think it was just yesterday all I knew about an Opel GT was it just had to make one hell of a race car... Something about that engine setback and high revving four banger...
Now I'm so hooked I need advice on how to stretch one into a four door to replace the tired turbo Burb.
Just kidding.
Will post an article on how to do it as soon as we get started. :cool:
This one's gonna take at least three rusty donor cars and two hundred feet of rollbar pipe.

·
Opeler
64 Posts
A thought Speed Channel was entertaining, I still get a laugh when I think of Baz's "Download Printing idea."
You can't much more informative than that
Great "How To" sessions
Jeff

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok Jeff I got the point but I'm working on getting to 17 Opels owned. Who wants to see that list. I started out keeping track by colors but gave up and started giving them numbers when the colors started repeating.

Red 69 GT
multi color manta
white 72 GT
Yellow 70 GT
Bronze Manta
Blue Manta
Silver 73 GT
green 72 GT
Bronze wagon
Silver Manta
Orange 71 GT
red 72 GT
black 72 GT
Yellow 73 GT

soon to have 2 white and 2 orange GTs. I'm a known carrier of the Opelitis bug.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
jeff denton said:
Now I'm so hooked I need advice on how to stretch one into a four door to replace the tired turbo Burb.
Why stop at 4 doors- I can see it now-A Opel GT stretch limo! Only could be done in Texas though! :cool:

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Well, I'm jealous of Dave! That's a nice menu on the table! :rolleyes: As far as Jeffs excellent idea on faces, maybe everyone can use a face picture instead of an avatar. Might give it that real group conversation feel when we see all those smiling "mugs"! :D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Barry, I've got a self-portrait in my avatar, according to Margaret. At least that's what she said when she showed it to me. Said it looks just like me in the morning after I get out of bed. :D

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
I also have to chime in with my appreciation for all the help and wonderful people I have met on this site! Thanks Gary for all your work.

Dave--we also started out keeping track by color. It got too confusing---hence the naming of each car.

Vickie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts