Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got me a opel and im about to make a fast dragster out of it. So im about to take alot of parts off of it. If anyone needs anything for theres please let me know. Motor, trans , front and rear end . Seats dash. ... ext. 1970
Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Cloud

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Vehicle door

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Gear shift Steering wheel

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Auto part

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,805 Posts
This is a late 1970 Opel GT. The license plate dent on the rear panel happened sometime during 1969. The Buckskin interior didn't come out till 1970. The quarter windows pop out, which means 1971 model changes. The side badges still being there tells me late 1970 because Opel stopped putting them on in 1971. So, it's not a super rare 1968. Given the amount of rust, this is either a donor car or it will take a lot of work to save it, or it becomes a drag car. Value would be somewhere around $300-400.

If Pobyboy disagrees, he is welcome to post the VIN on here and we can tell him exactly what year it is. With a close up of the front of the engine / cylinder head, we can also tell if it might be a high output engine. If it's a 10 bolt cylinder head, it probably is. If it's a 12 bolt head, then it isn't. I really don't think it is a high output engine however and in this condition, it doesn't matter. The engine and trans isn't worth anymore than the whole car in this situation.

I'm not trying to be mean if I'm coming off that way. I'm just being honest and getting to the facts which have been lacking so far.

·
Vendor
3,084 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like a pretty challenging project. I presume you are talking about a V8 transplant? Doable, but not straightforward (and pretty expensive) Have you built other drag cars before? (Cool pony, by the way!)

·
UngerDog
1,332 Posts
This is 1 of 31 1st ever made 1968 hight output 1.9 motor
Why do you think it's a '68?

This is a late 1970 Opel GT...If Pobyboy disagrees, he is welcome to post the VIN on here and we can tell him exactly what year it is.
I'm not trying to be mean if I'm coming off that way. I'm just being honest and getting to the facts which have been lacking so far.
I'm with Joe. There are several clues as to the year of the GT. The popout windows would suggest it's a '71 or later. But, the emblems and wheels are like a '70. I don't see anything that would suggest it's a pre '70 GT. The VIN is the most accurate way to tell the year because sometimes owners swap parts from a different year onto their car.

·
Can Opeler
3,683 Posts
That’s not a 68. It has none of the 1968 parts. The brake control rod support is the wrong color, the hood hinges are wrong, the windows are wrong, the rear panel is wrong.
This is an early 71 or late 70 with a probably a standard 1.9L Delta head

If you can take a photo under the valve cover I can tell you what head is in it. You cannot tell if it’s a 68 head from the outside.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That’s not a 68. It has none of the 1968 parts. The brake control rod support is the wrong color, the hood hinges are wrong, the windows are wrong, the rear panel is wrong.
This is an early 71 or late 70 with a probably a standard 1.9L Delta head

If you can take a photo under the valve cover I can tell you what head is in it. You cannot tell if it’s a 68 head from the outside.
It has the GM emblem by the rear window and the dash has screws holding the top of the instrument panel but the door has the regulator up top?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a late 1970 Opel GT. The license plate dent on the rear panel happened sometime during 1969. The Buckskin interior didn't come out till 1970. The quarter windows pop out, which means 1971 model changes. The side badges still being there tells me late 1970 because Opel stopped putting them on in 1971. So, it's not a super rare 1968. Given the amount of rust, this is either a donor car or it will take a lot of work to save it, or it becomes a drag car. Value would be somewhere around $300-400.

If Pobyboy disagrees, he is welcome to post the VIN on here and we can tell him exactly what year it is. With a close up of the front of the engine / cylinder head, we can also tell if it might be a high output engine. If it's a 10 bolt cylinder head, it probably is. If it's a 12 bolt head, then it isn't. I really don't think it is a high output engine however and in this condition, it doesn't matter. The engine and trans isn't worth anymore than the whole car in this situation.

I will post vin in the a.m . 4 numbers on dash below mph . Is what the i was told to look for . And they are there

·
Can Opeler
3,683 Posts
I will post vin in the a.m . 4 numbers on dash below mph . Is what the i was told to look for . And they are there
You were told the reverse of what is true.
A 68 would NOT have W897 or W1062 on the speedometer.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,805 Posts
The speedo number has to do with gear ratios. The VIN is on the tag as mentioned above me, by the engine bay. It can also be found on the driver side door sticker and a metal tag riveted to the dash on the driver's side.

Chances are, whatever the seller told you about this car is a bunch of crap. You're more than welcome to ask us questions about your car. If you really want to build a dragster out of it, I hope you can weld and can spend a decent amount of money on this. If someone sold you on the idea of making a cheap and fast drag car, they lied to you. You'll have to fabricate an entire tube chassis for starters, and then put the GT body as a skin over it. One of our members has built a really good dragster and he says he has spent six figures building it, but I believe that includes paying someone to fabricate the tube chassis.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,702 Posts
And all of this discussion about what model year various parts are from is utterly meaningless and wouldn't affect it's value one bit. The only thing that matters is how rust and dent free the body is.

And since you're planning on chopping it up to fit the engine, replacing the entire drivetrain and suspension, tubbing out the rear wheel wells, roll bars, toggle switches, maybe a parachute, etc., none of this talk makes any difference at all. Dragster converted GT's, which are a dime a dozen, basically aren't worth a dime. Unless you do an incredibly good and expensive job like this:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel
Vehicle Wheel Speedometer Car Odometer
Speedometer Wheel Odometer Gauge Vehicle

1 - 20 of 43 Posts