Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 71 GT in excellent condition a few weeks ago and need to replace a few things. Looking for ideas from some of the more seasoned owners. First, the seat and shoulder belts are separate and clunky. I'm looking to replace both with an inertia reel system. Any ideas where to get a good set at a great price? Second, the heater temp cable is broken in the engine compartment just before it attaches to the valve. OpelGTSource doesn't list the cable. Third, the turn signal lights on the dash work independently for the first blink and then both blink together. My first thought is to replace the blinker box behind the center panel. Is that the most likely cause of is the wiring all messed up? The radio in the dash doesn't work. Any suggestions on what brand and model of am/fm with hopefully a CD player fits in the dash? Thanks for the help. I bought a 73 GT new in 12/72 but Buick supported the model back then so I never had to do any of this kind of work.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
First, check the wires in the coloum harness for shorts. You should be able to convert a manual choke cable for use on the heater control. With a CD player? that may be hard as the tend to be a larger radio unit. You can find small AM/FM units easy though.
My 2c's

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
John, Check out this thread. Halfway down it explains exactly what is going on and how to fix it. I had the same problem and this was the fix. I would highly recommend getting the wiring diagram that J.J. Weatley sells. Roy is going to Carlisle and I've been told there will be some for sale there. While you're doing all this work, I'd also recommend removing the turn signal lights and cans and cleaning the grounds to the body. This particular problem plagued me for three days until I found this fix. HTH, Jarrell

http://www.opelgt.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=2698&highlight=turn+signals

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Most modern radio/CD players will fit. (I haven't found one yet that won't.) You may have to cut some on the dash front to open it up, but the older radios had such a large foot print behind the dash, you can almost put a radio and a half back there now.

The problem with using the stock radio holes is that most radios now come with a metal box insert that is used to hold the radio in the dash. This does away with the old nuts on the control stems.

I'm currently running a Jenson AM/FM/CD player in mine, with a removeable front for security purposes.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
More wire corrections

Those with the double blinking lights might want to check out the wire diagram that JJ, of Destec fame, put together. There are more corrections on it you might want to check out.

Well worth it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.