Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did some stuff yesterday to/with my gt.
Interesting things like the fuel gauge mysteriously started working again :whistle:
She drove fine, wasn't running hot and all seemed well.
So after she cooled down I went over all the fluids to see where we are at.
Engine oil a little low ( known leak haven't fixed yet)( check) EDIT engine oil is fine leak s in tranny
Brake fluid (check)
Coolant ( check)? wait a minute something is off here!
Why does the cap look like it has a green greasy look to it?
What in Sam's heck is this crap?????
How the heck does grease slim get into the cooling system?
New water pump, hoses, stat, radiator. everything is new and the entire system flushed prior to new everything being installed including coolant
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Camera lens Reflex camera
Hand Finger Thumb Camera lens Nail
Plant Liquid Fluid Cosmetics Finger
Automotive tire Flash photography Finger Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that but it appears ok and I haven't lost any coolant or oil? That I can tell anyway
Wood Clock Metal Strap Rectangle
Rectangle Wood Material property Clock Jewellery
Beige Rectangle Concrete Fashion accessory Stain

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
Could be old Bars Leak. Or may be motor oil. Does not look the right color for auto trans fluid.... in case your rad has a auto trannie cooler that is hooked up. May be

Check the motor oil for any brownish or greyish gunk. Particularly check under the fill cap on the valve cover, and maybe even remove the valve cover. Water/coolant in the oil will show up quickly up under the valve cover.
What oil are you using and what is the color? OK, I see the pix now..... not PennGrade/old Kendall, which was/is green.

The other possibility is that you just are getting some more gunk out of the block or rad with the change in the coolant. Flushing, even with a flush additive, will not get it all out once things get older... the gunk deposits in the bottom of the cooling jacket in the block can become quite deep over many years. If you did not pull the block drain, then it is even less likley that you got anywhere near all the gunk out of the bottom of the cooling jacket, which can include old antifreeze that has gotten gunky. The best thing you can do is to use a high pressure stream of water into the big rectangular hole in the timing cover and into the block, but that still will not get everything out of an old block.

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Could also be grease from the water pump. I’ve seen a few over greased when they’re new.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be old Bars Leak. Or may be motor oil. Does not look the right color for auto trans fluid.... in case your rad has a auto trannie cooler that is hooked up. May be

Check the motor oil for any brownish or greyish gunk. Particularly check under the fill cap on the valve cover, and maybe even remove the valve cover. Water/coolant in the oil will show up quickly up under the valve cover.
What oil are you using and what is the color?

The other possibility is that you just are getting some more gunk out of the block or rad with the change in the coolant. Flushing, even with a flush additive, will not get it all out once things get older... the gunk deposits in the bottom of the cooling jacket in the block can become quite deep over many years. If you did not pull the block drain, then it is even less likley that you got anywhere near all the gunk out of the bottom of the cooling jacket. The best thign you can do is to use a high pressure strem of water into the big rectangular hole in the timing cover and into the block, but that still will not get everything out of an old block.
Thanks for the input, it's a 4 speed s no worries there.
The oil is 20-50 Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil.( it was the only thing I could find at the time) and I added rislone zinc additive as well

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could also be grease from the water pump. I’ve seen a few over greased when they’re new.
HUH wouldn't that be something,
I too thought right away it's grease but when I run my hands under hot water it completely dissolves/ goes away and no grease feel to my hands.
However it does feel and looks as if it was green grease but when I rinse it off my hands it doesn't.
If that made any sense at all

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,368 Posts
HUH wouldn't that be something,
I too thought right away it's grease but when I run my hands under hot water it completely dissolves/ goes away and no grease feel to my hands.
However it does feel and looks as if it was green grease but when I rinse it off my hands it doesn't.
If that made any sense at all
Then it sounds like condensed/gunky old antifreeze and other cooling system gunk, or old BarsLeak (the brown stuff, not the silver powerdery stuff).

Do you have a collant overflow bottle? If so, then old cooling system gunk will often collect in there.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then it sounds like condensed/gunky old antifreeze and other cooling system gunk, or old BarsLeak (the brown stuff, not the silver powerdery stuff).

Do you have a collant overflow bottle? If so, then old cooling system gunk will often collect in there.
Times like this make me wish I did but I do not

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
forgot how much fun getting the valve cover off is.
But all looks good here, oil still looks like oil and pretty clean as far as I can tell
I don't see any traces of coolant so that's a positive
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Auto part Gas
Motor vehicle Font Gas Auto part Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive design
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Gas
Brown Wood Automotive lighting Gas Tints and shades
Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I flushed the block pretty good with super hot water and a shopvac while I had it all apart and I kept flushing and vacuuming until all was completely coming out clear and clean ( no rusty flaky stuff or water/coolant)

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you did not pull the block drain, then it is even less likley that you got anywhere near all the gunk out of the bottom of the cooling jacket, which can include old antifreeze that has gotten gunky. The best thing you can do is to use a high pressure stream of water into the big rectangular hole in the timing cover and into the block, but that still will not get everything out of an old block.
I think your on to something here I was to afraid to attempt pulling the block plug for fear of breakage.
On a positive note I got a heater valve to install I've been putting off (Florida, Heater? ) ya right LOL
But that would mean draining some of it anyway.
Now I'll be draining it all and try to flush the radiator of this crap.
I can feel it everywhere inside it as far as I can get my finger in

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No chance of draining it through a screen or something and salvaging the coolant I guess?
It's only 2 yrs old and I'd guess not even 100 ish miles

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,258 Posts
Do you have an aluminum radiator. I had weird color changes to my coolant when I used one. OGTS says to use a 75%/25%(or something like that) antifreeze/water ratio to reduce a problem like yours.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No I sold my aluminum one to help another member here, at the time he was in need ogts was out of them.
I do remember you mentioning this problem though.
This is the original radiator I had re-cored.
The stuff has a grease ish texture but almost like a jelly

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You probably stirred up the gunk in the corners with the flush, the PO may have used the stop leak as MR suggested, with cars as old as ours unless everything has been replaced there are all kinds of possibility’s. With the heater core involved etc. when I bought my GT the heater core was solidly plugged, I replaced it several years later and finally had heat, who knows what was packed in there.

I don’t like doing flushes anymore because it always left some city water in the block. I used to flush the cooling system regularly though. Since my last rebuild I’ve been overly phobic, strictly using the 50/50 mix. My recent belief is that replacing the anti freeze regularly is what’s most important to keep down the pitting from the galvanic corrosion that occurs when the dissimilar metals are in contact with each other ie; aluminum/steel, especially noticeable at the thermostat housing area. Standard coolant, the Green stuff, has corrosion inhibitors that last about 2 years.

Doing another drain, hopefully releasing some of the new found sludge & fill with the 50/50 mix, then keep an eye on the temperature gauge, should do the trick. If you have good cooling I wouldn’t worry about it too much, that’s just me.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
985 Posts
Looks like just a little bit of oil to me but not enough to be a concern, in my opionion. Just keep an eye on it to see if it continues to come to the surface, if it does then a possible concern. Of course I had to run out to the garage and check mine - nothing unusual but the level was down about 6 OZ and it was almost a year ago that I installed the new radiator and flushed the system. I was told to change the antifreeze/water combo every two years due to the new aluminum radiator and as someone mentioned above the different metals can cause the aluminum radiator to corroded more quickely than the stock radiator. It is amazing that my daily driver did not require an antifreeze flush until 150,000 miles and that is a 2004 model. How things have changed.......keep us posted and good luck.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts