Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mantamanta
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for a few hours now, and can't find any solid info on '76 U.S.-market Kadetts--more specifically, what engine it should have stock. Is a Kadett-badged car identical to later "Buick-Opel" or "Isuzu" cars, with an Isuzu engine? Or does it have the Opel 19E motor? Or a smaller Opel motor?

Any help will be HUGELY appreciated, as I will hopefully have access to a partial or whole Kadett this weekend for parts, and I'd love to be able to use engine parts for my Manta A (FI).

-Joel

·
Super Moderator
9,647 Posts
I've been looking around for a few hours now, and can't find any solid info on '76 U.S.-market Kadetts--more specifically, what engine it should have stock. Is a Kadett-badged car identical to later "Buick-Opel" or "Isuzu" cars, with an Isuzu engine? Or does it have the Opel 19E motor? Or a smaller Opel motor?

Any help will be HUGELY appreciated, as I will hopefully have access to a partial or whole Kadett this weekend for parts, and I'd love to be able to use engine parts for my Manta A (FI).

-Joel
Joel;
I think you answered your own question, the Kadett C was the Isuzu version, with a Isuzu 1.8 that we got. You'll have to get more in depth info from our European members as to if the actual Opel parts will bolt on/up

·
Registered
703 Posts
Known as a Gemini in the asian market. It was GM's first world car T body based on the Opel Kadett C, but not the same. Unless it is a true kadett C which would be rare in the States. From what I understand some body parts interchange. The grills, tail lights, and dashes are different though. Of course the engine is Isuzu 1.8. I thought it would be cool to get one and clone a Kadett C though.
Isuzu Gemini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,896 Posts
The Kadett "C" was equipped with a 1200 cc engine, basically the same as the 1100 cc engine from the "B" series

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
Had a friend back in the early 90's (after repeatedly being spanked in heads-up racing against my Manta) to remove the Isuzu 1.8L engine and transmission, for a 1.9L and 4 speed.
It took him some effort too do, but no more than 2 weekends (with some duct tape and bubble-gum).

It wasn't a very pretty installation. But... it transformed the cars character from Isuzu to Opel.

·
Mantamanta
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have a Manta w/ a 1.9 FI, but at the time I bought it the car hadn't been driven in years. Once I put on about 60 miles or so it started developing a nasty valve noise. If you've ever seen the Top Gear Italian Super Car Challenge, the valve clatter's been sounding like Clarkson's Maserati at the end of the show. (And if you haven't seen that episode, I highly recommend finding it.) I've taken the valve cover off and seen how sludgy the top end is, so I'm a little scared of what I'll find if I take the whole thing apart. I'm planning an eventual Quad4 swap, so I figured my simplest option in the short-term would be to do a direct bolt-in stop swap as opposed to tearing down my engine and rebuilding it in limited garage space.

·
Non Civilian
2,084 Posts
Unfortunatly the car will not be CA smog exept.

·
Mantamanta
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the fact that the Kadett motor is a '76 is moot for me-- the car I'm trying to put an engine in is a '75, last year for smog exemption in CA; I can legally use any engine I want. I'm assuming that's why the Kadett's being scrapped though, making a 30+ year old car pass smog would have probably been difficult and/or expensive.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
3,946 Posts
The 1.8 in your Kadett clone comes from Japan, and no Opel parts whatsoever will bolt on to it. What you can do is throw away the complete engine/trans combo, and put in any Opel CIH with original 4-speed or Getrag 5-speed. The only alterations needed for that might be home-made motor mounts, since even the front axle with the mounts are different than in the "real" Kadett. Plus add a modified drive shaft that any drive shaft company can make, and you're fine.
I currently know of 3 "real" Kadett C's in the States. One is a brown Coupe that was recently sold again in the Northern VA / Maryland area with a 1.2N engine (55HP), one is being raced by fellow member Ernie Bello in Florida, and for the 3rd one klick on the link in my signature... :veryhappy

Dieter

·
Registered
3 Posts
and on i side note. the guys in Australia with the Holden Isuzu gemini ( Isuzu Opel) can get close to 900 hp out of that 4 banger.... plenty of mods out there for it

·
Registered
40 Posts
In general Kadett C's in europe came with 1.2 n and 1.2s engines, some Kadett C city's (hatchback) came with a 1.6 CIH engine.(very rare).
Then there was the Rallye/GTE/1000er version in the coupe body style.
The early cars, pre-78 (with indicators below the front bumper) had the 1.9 CIH engine.
Cars after 78 (with indicators beside headlamps) had the 2.0 CIH engine
CIH engine can be fitted to 1.2 front crosmember although the GTE crossmember was made a lot stronger for motorsport applications.

·
Opeler
14 Posts
engines in the opel Kadett C:

1.0N OHV 40 pk (29 kW)
1.2N OHV 52 pk (38 kW)
1.2N× OHV 55 pk (40 kW)
1.2S OHV 60 pk (44 kW)
1.6S CIH 75 pk (55 kW)
1.9E CIH 105 pk (77 kW)
2.0E CIH 110 pk (81 kW)
2.0EH CIH 115 pk (85 kW)

I've got this from a Belgian site. I'm doing a bit of research about them myself since on thursday I will probably become an Opel Kadett C owner. I made a post about that but It's probably somewhere in the wrong place sorry for that btw.

1.6S was not only in the City, but available in all models except for GT/E (even in rallye)
Indeed, the first GT/E were with 1.9E and the later ones with the 2.0. But on the belgian-dutch site it says they changed in 77
The rallye was the "street version" of the GT/E and was released at the same time as the second type GT/E's They came with 1.6S or 2.0

·
Mantamanta
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info. I ended up buying a used 1.9 long block, putting it in this weekend. I should have an update thread in the Manta forum next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts