Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
During my most recent roadtrip into the boonies of Oklahoma with Rodney K. to go look at that '51 Olympia yesterday, weather was not exactly cooperating, alternating between outright downpours intermingled with misting drizzles. We took my '69 Kadett to "stretch its legs a bit".

For those unfamiliar with the Kadett's wiper system, it is a two-speed system controlled by a three-position toggle switch next to the light switches in the dash. This very basic system functions very well under most conditions, but yesterday's trip glaringly pointed to a major shortcoming, especially once it gets dark outside. Dash switches in the Kadett are not illuminated.

The wiper system works fine in steady light or heavy rain . . . you have two speeds to handle either condition adequately. Once the rains begins to diminish to a light drizzle, even the wiper "slow" speed is too fast for the amount of moisture on the windows. Some sort of intermittent wiper action sure would've been nice!

Got me to thinking about the combination pump/intermittent wiper foot pedal in the GT . . . you know, the one you often hit accidently after you release your GTs clutch! Anyway, I'm replacing the bellows pump in my Kadett with a GT pump/wiper switch pedal and wiring it up to resolve that little problem . . . still all Opel parts, you know! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kadett intermittent wipers

Now that I've done some more research on this subject, I found that not only is the GT pump/switch assembly a direct bolt in (mounts to floor with two bolts like the original bellows pump with correct spacing and orientation), but it was already used in the Kadett Rallye according to my wiring diagrams!! :eek:

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,400 Posts
I had it as original equipment in both a (formerly owned) Kadett Rallye '73 and in my current '72 Rallye.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heimue said:
I had it as original equipment in both a (formerly owned) Kadett Rallye '73 and in my current '72 Rallye.
Yeah, the wiring diagrams ONLY show it being used in the Rallye Kadetts. You'd think they'd at least offer it as an option for the LS, the one that comes with just about everything offered on Kadett models!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts