Opel GT Forum banner

kadett rallye

38K views 221 replies 36 participants last post by  LynnB 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is there anyone near North Platte Nebraska that could look at this kadett rallye for me? Pehaps someone has already looked at it? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I've been PMed 3 times about this one and finally asked about the title situation. Without a good answer to that, my opinion is leave it alone. I've declined every time but it is interesting and not that far away.

#6 ·
Here in Colorado a car with no title is worth next to nothing. The cost to get one usually is more than the car is worth. To get a replacement title is up to who had one last and if it's still on the books in that state, 5 years they usually purge the records.

#8 · (Edited)
jlthunder said:
I used a title service in New Hampshire to title a motorcycle which lost its title by the previous owner. All I had to do was pencil trace the VIN # and I got a bill of sale. Pennsylvania had no problem accepting the Bill of Sale and I now have a title.

Good move in haveing the VIN run so you don't end up with a stolen piece of equipment.

I can give you the info if you want, just PM me
Taken from the search feature. Let me know if you need this info.

Jeff

#9 ·
Also before you commit to a title service, be sure your state will honor it. I checked with 2 and they both said not in Colorado when I was looking at a car with no title.

#38 ·
What a cool color . . .

Well of course I purchased this kadett rallye and it is about to come home as a Christmas present to self:
color is Regal Gold
. . . hmm, same as mine . . . guess it was popular on an "upscale" - LS/Rallye - Kadett back in its day! :cool:

. . . edited your post, Iceland Opel . . .

#13 ·
Oh yes. Regal Gold color with stock paint scheme. I take my suspension to the shop today to put on and will tell the painter about his mistake on the cowl. But I am using semil gloss instead of flat on the hood. Plus I OK'd him to use vinyl stipes instead of painting as long as he used a top quality vinyl.

#21 ·
Looks great Tom! And the area behind the heater box that you see down through the cowl vents should be black as well, or maybe that's what you meant....
Nice Christmas gift!
Our Kadett is waiting for control arm bushings. We have the entire front suspension out now.

#26 ·
Seems like Gordy and Tom are about to make the Kadet class at our shows a little harder to win.
John I intend to bring it to Springfield in the Fall! I think I will drive the rallye more than the GT.
Mitox I would go up as you show but suspect it is already done. I took the painter pictures of the car as it was before work began so he could follow the correct scheme. But I may not have shot every angle that I should in retrospect.
Tony I am no expert but that doesnt look like a factory paint scheme. The paint is not on the top of the fender next to the hood.

#24 ·
Here is a pic of the Rallye I parted out. I noticed the black actually goes down into the 'gutter' at the cowl and along the fender tops. Is this correct or sign of a 'home' conversion? The car is/was a Rallye, but....

http://www.opelgt.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=11446

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mitox is in another country, and they received different things and combos as we did,so I don't think I would take to heart what was correct for their cars as to ours. I Do not think in the years we recieved the Rallye, that you could get it in the Strato Blue. Over there you could.
Keith
This is correct. Over here they were sold in all kinds of colors. White, blue, red, green, orange a.s.o.... And the most of them were destroyed in rallies. The car was very competitive at that time. Now it's becoming more and more the opel cult car to have!

By the way, don't forget why that black paint was there in the first place. My English is not that good, but as you know the black fields were flat/matte/semi-gloss (dead/dim) black and not glossy as the rest of the car. This of course to reduce (lower) the light/sun reflection for the driver.

#29 ·
Different Years - different countries - different Rallye paint scheme

See my 69 Rallye. Completely different, definitely factory original!

Dieter

Attachments

#32 ·
Tom-

Well, the paint was there but has long since worn away or faded. See the cowl vent area, the further back the black goes it disappears. The other pics of the hood show the remains of the black. But the fading is one reason I suspected maybe it wasn't the factory paint. The car still had the lower side stainless trim (the trim you picked up from me) and black paint of a Rallye. The car was a Rallye, but it might have been damaged and been repaired in the front and repainted. I saw no evidence of crash repair when I dismantled it, so either it was original or they did a very good job (unlikely).
I was thinking that with the lighter or metallic colors (such as the bronze or your gold) that those hidden areas between panels were painted so that they color would not be visible in the sun or under strong light.

#33 ·
A question for those who know: The gauge panel for the rallye kadetts for 1969. Some of the kadetts had the gauges outlined in silver instead of the plastic panel being all black. Did the 69 rallye kadett have some color high lighting on the gauge panels and if so what color? I have cleaned my panel up and of course it is flat black, due to weathering I think. So I plan to clear coat over it, but wonder about the high lighting color first. Thanks to those who know.

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Tomking.

I have a Rallye Kadett from 1971.
It has been in my family since 1975-6. I have the complete owners history, list of changes if any.
The car is very original, restored 19 years ago.

Here is website with a list of the changes between models during the years. Unfortunately it is in German, but I can help translate if you like.

This list seems to be very accurate:

I especially noticed this in the list of model changes of the Rallye Kadett.

"Modelljahr 1970:

Armaturenbrett vollständig schwarz (bisher schwarz/silber). Keine Schriftzüge mehr am Kotflügel.
Eckige, gesteckte Kleiderhaken statt der geschraubten in runder Form."

Which in English would be something like:

Model 1970:
The gauge panel is completely black (black w. silver border before) No more script emblem ( the Kadett Rallye emblem) on the fenders (front, low - behind wheel). The hanger for clothes, (above the rear windows) is not rounded and fastened with screws anymore, but hard-edged and no screw is visible.

Sorry about my lack of fluency in English.

I guess this should answer the question about the color of the panel.

The gauge panel in my Rallye Kadett from 1971 is completely black, but the gauge panel in the center, over and in front of the transmission, (the one with amp+clock+oil gauges) is with silver stripe around it.

I can send some photos if you like. But mine is 1971 model, so it is slightly different form 1969.

Some people like to restore their cars as original as they can, even though they would look and function better with some minor changes. Others restore their cars as they think they should or would look and work best.

Hope this will help answer questions about the color of the gauge panel.

Greetings,

Heimir H. Karlsson.
ICELAND.

#37 ·
It does help Iceland Opel and thanks. I am not going for 100% original as I will possibly use leather in gray for my seat covers. Otherwise black interior. Plus my use of semigloss on the hood is different from the flat black original. Thanks and Good Opeling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.