Opel GT Forum banner

Kadett Wagon?

11K views 84 replies 26 participants last post by  Vincent 
#1 ·
How many Kadett wagons are still around?
Saw the Kadett in Oregon and had a thought, how about getting a useful Opel with some room!
Could use it for a company vehical.
Parts still available?
Pictures?
Lyle

#2 · (Edited)
I have a 1970 Kadett wagon. It's actually my wife's car. We love it and take it on family vacation every year. I think most of the wagons got used up as daily rides in the 70's due to their utilitarian nature. I don't think there are too many nice original ones left. I shipped mine in from California about five years ago. It's a very nice and solid original car.

Duane

Attachments

#4 ·
MantAscona said:
I have a 1970 Kadett wagon. It's actually my wife's car. We love it and take it on family vacation every year. I think most of the wagons got used up as daily rides in the 70's due to their utilitarian nature. I don't think there are too many nice original ones left. I shipped mine in from California about five years ago. It's a very nice and solid original car.
Yes, complete with aircraft landing lights. :lmao:
That car needs a turbo charged 2.5L Opel engine making about 500 HP.

#5 ·
I agree with what Duane said, a nice one is hard to find. To find one you can even fix up is tough. They do make great utility vehicles tho. I've been hauling parts all over the place in my Ascona Wagon. However with the low number of wagons left interior parts are hard to get but some or most of the rest will interchange with other models.

#6 ·
That car needs a turbo charged 2.5L Opel engine making about 500 HP.
Somehow I think that would compromise the originality of the car. :yup: My wifes wagon is the only one I have ever seen that still has the factory under dash finishing panel. Does anyone else have a Kadett with one?

You know, I have always been amazed at the lack of comments from people at Carlisle or other meets pertaining to the lights on the front of the car. I always kind of wondered what people thought about them. I personally like them as they give the car a little European rally flavor. They just unbolt easily enough to remove them. I didn't drill any holes in the car to mount them but instead used the factory rallye lamp mounts that just clamp on. So what are your opinions?

Duane

#7 ·
I've always thought they looked cool on there...sort of makes a statement that breaks the subtlety the rest of the car has. Do you have covers for them? That'd be a nice touch too.

By the way, what ARE they?

Todd

#8 ·
I don't have any covers. I bought six of those lights brand new about 15 years ago when Bosch discontinued them, however, they didn't come with covers. I agree the covers would be nice though. Thanks for your input Todd.

Duane

#9 ·
MantAscona said:
I didn't drill any holes in the car to mount them but instead used the factory rallye lamp mounts that just clamp on. So what are your opinions?
Not enough of them...:D

#10 ·
MantAscona said:
I don't have any covers. I bought six of those lights brand new about 15 years ago when Bosch discontinued them, however, they didn't come with covers. I agree the covers would be nice though.
My NOS chrome Bosch rally lights I bought a couple of years ago didn't come with covers either. Wouldn't be too tough to make a hammer-form and make some aluminum ones though. Carlisle 'how-to' seminar maybe?

#12 ·
I think a set of those would look better on a big-bumper Manta than the smaller rally fog lamps. Plenty of bumper meat to mount them with too..I've looked around for something similar but they're hard to find. I think they'd give the newer mantas more of a rally look, especially with the rally paint!

I think I would still prefer the look of the original fog lamps on the earlier thin bumper Mantas though.

#14 ·
Wouldn't be too tough to make a hammer-form and make some aluminum ones though. Carlisle 'how-to' seminar maybe?
I'd be up for a cool seminar like that. I have seen black plastic covers to fit my lights but, they were on other cars, not for sale. I believe your chrome lamps have a different housing than mine.

Duane

#15 ·
I think a set of those would look better on a big-bumper Manta than the smaller rally fog lamps. Plenty of bumper meat to mount them with too..I've looked around for something similar but they're hard to find. I think they'd give the newer mantas more of a rally look, especially with the rally paint!

I think I would still prefer the look of the original fog lamps on the earlier thin bumper Mantas though.
I agree Todd.

Duane

#16 ·
RallyBob said:
Wouldn't be too tough to make a hammer-form and make some aluminum ones though. Carlisle 'how-to' seminar maybe?
Should be enough aluminum beer cans around to whip something up! :haha:

Todd

#17 ·
I use to have a pair of Cibie Super Oscars Gene. Great lights! I run the Cibie Iode headlamps in the Kadett. I also have a set of the Z beams that I use to have in my TR8. I love good lighting.

Duane

#20 ·
opelnut10 said:
How about a pair of yellow vinyl covers with a black Opel Blitz embrodryed in them. I think they would look sharp and a good upholstery shop could whip them up.
I still have two sets of factory Opel vinyl driving light covers with the blitz on them. Problem with these is hitting the light switch accidentally with the covers in place results in an instant melt-down of the cover!

#21 ·
MantAscona said:
I'd be up for a cool seminar like that. I have seen black plastic covers to fit my lights but, they were on other cars, not for sale. I believe your chrome lamps have a different housing than mine.

Duane
Yes, the housings and reflectors are different on the chrome lights.

Are your lights the Bosch 225's? If so my friend has some, I could make a template from them and fabricate a test-cover for you to try. I make the hammer-forms from hardwood, so it's not difficult or expensive to make.

#22 ·
Driving Lights

Yes Bob, melt down is a mess with vinyl covers. That's why I have a quik-connect in the wiring harness to the lights. When I want to uncover the lights I plug it togather and when I put the covers back on I unplug the connector. It has worked for 5 years on my Manta and I haven't set anything on fire yet.

#24 · (Edited)
I have cut the fronts out of the CIBIE covers and mounted plexiglass in them that way I can turn them on while they're still protected. There's also a company in Australia, called "Opposite Lock" I think, they make clear covers for the CIBIES and most others.

Daune- I just aquired a set of Super Oscars, fog lights, but, I think they may be too big to mount under the front bumper of the Sportwagon. I'd really like a set of Oscars in fog.

#25 · (Edited)
1969 Kadett LS

MantAscona said:
Somehow I think that would compromise the originality of the car. :yup: My wifes wagon is the only one I have ever seen that still has the factory under dash finishing panel. Does anyone else have a Kadett with one?

You know, I have always been amazed at the lack of comments from people at Carlisle or other meets pertaining to the lights on the front of the car. I always kind of wondered what people thought about them. I personally like them as they give the car a little European rally flavor. They just unbolt easily enough to remove them. I didn't drill any holes in the car to mount them but instead used the factory rallye lamp mounts that just clamp on. So what are your opinions?

Duane
Original rules!!!! My '69 LS also has them . . . all of them. Of course, car was a true "old lady's", always-garaged summer car, used for only about one month out of the year until I bought it in Seattle. She kept everything for that car and gave it all to me . . . a whole book full. Probably the best documented Kadett in the world . . . up to the time I bought it, anyway.

#26 ·
Gene,
I had a nice set of Cibie 175 fogs that would have worked great for you. Unfortunately, I sold them on ebay about 5 months ago. :sigh:

I have often thought about getting the clear bubble protectors for the headlamps. I'll check into Opposite Lock. Thanks for the tip!

Duane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.