Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Opeler
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go again. I mentioned on some of the FB groups and the BubbaGump GT thread that I was working on a second GT and here it is. So the story goes that I convinced my lovely wife Karen that she needed a dream car. She said she always loved the Miata or the BMW Z3 roadster. I told her well we aren't having either of those in our garage but how about a Bitchin' Opel GT roadster. She said, hell yea. Ok, I might be exaggerating a bit but she is super excited to design her own dream car.
So since I was planning to rebuild my famous V6 roadster anyway it became the perfect project. The plan is as follows:

Step One - take apart the entire car and rebuild it.

Step Two - take a nap

Step Three - Give Karen her new Bitchin' Ride.

·
Opeler
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a couple of original pics of the V6 roadster which I built in the mid 90s. The V6 went in the nose in 1998. Crazy how it's been 22 years now!

Attachments

·
Opeler
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And here are some pics of various body work clean up. I had added the side skirts 20+ years ago but was never happy with the fit of the fender transitions. And the front spoiler was the very first production of this style which I did personally for Gil and OGTS about 25 years ago. It was never really blended in either. So time to get all that fixed!

Attachments

·
Opeler
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These next pictures are from the engine compartment. So I had this wild idea after getting BubbaGump's engine bay painted that it would sure look better if I blended all the body seems and made it smooth. Sounds super awesome, right! DO NOT TRY THIS FOLKS, holy crap what a pain in the ass and a lot of work! LOL But.........I did it, well most of it and I think it does look pretty cool and certainly different than other GTs. I only worked the areas in front of the rad mount. Note the drivers side foot well modifications from the V6 engine transplant. Here are some pictures of before and after.

Attachments

·
Opeler
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got to see that today. Thank You!
And it does look sweet!
Thanks Jeff, great visit! I did manage to get the engine bay painted later this afternoon. Hope it looks good tomorrow in the sunlight! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

·
Opeler
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you do it? Weld and grind away?
Nope, just old fashioned body work with some fiberglass bondo and finishing body filler.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
These next pictures are from the engine compartment. So I had this wild idea after getting BubbaGump's engine bay painted that it would sure look better if I blended all the body seems and made it smooth. Sounds super awesome, right! DO NOT TRY THIS FOLKS, holy crap what a pain in the ass and a lot of work! LOL But.........I did it, well most of it and I think it does look pretty cool and certainly different than other GTs. I only worked the areas in front of the rad mount. Note the drivers side foot well modifications from the V6 engine transplant. Here are some pictures of before and after.
That looks sweet!

·
Opeler
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Engine compartment now painted a bright pearl blue. We chose the Laser Blue Pearl used on the current Jeeps. Also called Hydro Blue.

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,733 Posts
Engine compartment now painted a bright pearl blue. We chose the Laser Blue Pearl used on the current Jeeps. Also called Hydro Blue.
Mike,
Thanks for documenting this build. I am really enjoying following your progress.
Is that also going to be the body color? If so, it should really pop. o_O
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Opeler
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ron, thanks and yes that will be the body color as well. This was my V6 roadster which I painted in the Chevy Beretta Teal about 25 years ago. Getting a total makeover! My lovely wife picked out the color. Thinking of a white racing stripe but haven't totally decided yet. Welcome any thoughts on white stripes on a bright blue pearl paint job though!

·
Opeler
1,067 Posts
I for one like the combo of blue and white together. I wish the stripe on my car was narrower than it is. I feel it’s too wide for the size of the car.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I was going to paint mine a similar blue with dual racing stripes. Should look great that way. But since my first car, a GT, was factory chartreuse I decided to relive my high school senior year instead.

·
Opeler
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are cars and Opels (yours!) I found pictures of. Some have silver or black stripes which also don't look too bad.

Attachments

Reactions: opelnut10

·
Living in the past
2,322 Posts
Here are cars and Opels (yours!) I found pictures of. Some have silver or black stripes which also don't look too bad.
The silver really looks killer with that blue, and would be my choice if I was doing it but I would do a single wide stripe pinstriped on each side in red or a lighted blue.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,495 Posts
If you go silver or white for a stripe, consider using a warm tone that compliments your blue. Kind of hard to tell from the your pics on my monitor.

I always thought the GTs would look good with a stripe on the side (like the ones on the 69 Mach1, rather than top stripes. Use a different color combination, but start behind the front wheel and go back.

Attachments

·
Detritus Maximus
2,495 Posts
The GTj is more or less what I was thinking. Our own Will.I.Finish has something similar.
One thing I liked about the Mach1 stripe was they were two color. Black and gold or gold and white, although I think there some with red as well. The forward end had a nice slanted shape where it began, not just running right off the body. The outer pinstripe is a nice touch, too, as opelnut mentioned. it's all those little details that make a design come together. Looking at the Mach1 pics, even the hood blackout has an offset pinstripe around it. Compare the pics you posted and look at the cars with the added pinstripe versus the cars without.

Something I forgot to mention, If I remember right, the stripes on those Mach1s had a little bit of reflectivity to them, as well. The main outer color was reflective.

Now here is an idea I had years ago..get some of the reflective vinyl used on road signs and emergency vehicles, the stuff that lights up when lights hit it. Find a paint shop that can match the color and metallic grain so it's really hard to tell one from the other. Paint the car and apply your graphics. The idea is as you move around the car the graphics really popout as the light and viewing angle change. At night it would look like a solid colored car until it passed in front of your lights.

Just my thoughts...

·
Detritus Maximus
2,495 Posts
A couple pics of white reflective vinyl, it actually looks like metallic silver. Reflective black is cool as it looks like a metallic black, then reflects as white.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts