Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have tools J-21691-6 & -4 for setting pinion height? if so could I get a sketch/dimensions to make one.

Thanks for any info.

·
Senior Contributor
5,022 Posts
Does anyone have tools J-21691-6 & -4 for setting pinion height? if so could I get a sketch/dimensions to make one.

Thanks for any info.
I don't know what it looks like but I would think that you could do it with a straight edge and a depth micrometer.

·
Opel Key Master
5,130 Posts
I have all these tools, but I'm honestly not interested in loaning of them out. Helmut, while I'm not too worried about you not returning them, they were just too hard to obtain that I don't want to risk loosing them. I will be more than willing to draw out all deminsions or bring them to Carlisle so you can personally check them out. The adjustable block would be a tricky one, it has a spring loaded plunger that you re tighten with a set screw so you can mic it. I am missing the bolt/stud that holds the assembly together, but think a regular bolt will work.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
UGH, Tool, or no tool, just ugh.

Setting up differentials is an exercise in frustration.

Just when you think you have it set up right, you test drive it, and it's back to the Parts Department for another crush sleeve.

These days I know two surefire ways to fix a rear end right the first time.

1. Get another one from another car.

2. Take it, along with a sixpack of crush sleeves to a full time pro who does it for a living.

Seriously, it's not for the faint hearted.

·
Registered
515 Posts
UGH, Tool, or no tool, just ugh.

Setting up differentials is an exercise in frustration.

Just when you think you have it set up right, you test drive it, and it's back to the Parts Department for another crush sleeve.

These days I know two surefire ways to fix a rear end right the first time.

1. Get another one from another car.

2. Take it, along with a sixpack of crush sleeves to a full time pro who does it for a living.

Seriously, it's not for the faint hearted.
Where do you get the crush sleeves?

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Where do you get the crush sleeves?
These days, good luck, I dunno. Keith has a trick for reusing old ones, ask him.

Back in the day, working for the dealership, which was the only time I set up differentials. As in I had to do it. The parts department knew to start calling around and get a stack of them in stock if I had to set up a rear end.

Frankly, I sucked at it.

For those who have never heard me complain about it before.

When I worked at the first Buick Dealer. If you brought in your Buick for a tune up it went to Jerry, engine work it went to Paul, brakes it went to Steve, etc.

But if you brought in an Opel for anything, no matter what. It went to me, because none of those Buick Mechanics wanted to work on no G** D*** Opel.

The last one I did was on an Opel Isuzu, (Yes they were a POS) and if I recall correctly I went through 7 crush sleeves, before the customer and the rear end both quit whining.

So if you guys want to play with them things have at it. Me, I'll pay a pro to do em.

·
Senior Contributor
5,022 Posts
These days, good luck, I dunno. Keith has a trick for reusing old ones, ask him.

Back in the day, working for the dealership, which was the only time I set up differentials. As in I had to do it. The parts department knew to start calling around and get a stack of them in stock if I had to set up a rear end.

Frankly, I sucked at it.

For those who have never heard me complain about it before.

When I worked at the first Buick Dealer. If you brought in your Buick for a tune up it went to Jerry, engine work it went to Paul, brakes it went to Steve, etc.

But if you brought in an Opel for anything, no matter what. It went to me, because none of those Buick Mechanics wanted to work on no G** D*** Opel.

The last one I did was on an Opel Isuzu, (Yes they were a POS) and if I recall correctly I went through 7 crush sleeves, before the customer and the rear end both quit whining.

So if you guys want to play with them things have at it. Me, I'll pay a pro to do em.
Maybe I got lucky but I did mine with one crush sleeve. My biggest problem was getting the side preload correct on the ring gear bearings. No Wine for me only Southern Comfort.

·
Opeler
1,128 Posts
all I need is a rough sketch with dimensions and I can and do build/make my own tools, so if you can get them dimensions, I too would put them to use :yup:

·
Senior Contributor
5,022 Posts
I have all these tools, but I'm honestly not interested in loaning of them out. Helmut, while I'm not too worried about you not returning them, they were just too hard to obtain that I don't want to risk loosing them. I will be more than willing to draw out all deminsions or bring them to Carlisle so you can personally check them out. The adjustable block would be a tricky one, it has a spring loaded plunger that you re tighten with a set screw so you can mic it. I am missing the bolt/stud that holds the assembly together, but think a regular bolt will work.
Hey Keith can you post a few pictures of the tools?

·
Opel Key Master
5,130 Posts
Over the years I have collected all the tools, even to the point I carefully looked at what other service tools they used such as the same model micrometer. I have a few still to get that are not really necessary but like to have all on hand for both 1.1 and 1.9. These tools do get used quite a bit, and that is another reason I do not loan tools. Cause when I need it I won't have it. Notice the modified spline holder, the original only had two teeth and was not strong enough to hold while compressing the crush sleeve.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Over the years I have collected all the tools, even to the point I carefully looked at what other service tools they used such as the same model micrometer. I have a few still to get that are not really necessary but like to have all on hand for both 1.1 and 1.9. These tools do get used quite a bit, and that is another reason I do not loan tools. Cause when I need it I won't have it. Notice the modified spline holder, the original only had two teeth and was not strong enough to hold while compressing the crush sleeve.
Nice! As a tool junkie I can only drool...

·
Senior Contributor
5,022 Posts
Well that block looks like a cinch to make, just post the dimensions.

·
462 Posts
The only dimension I really need is the diameter shown in the picture. The ends should be the bearing race diameter.

I think J-21691-4 & J21691-5 can be replaced by installing the pinion gear and bearings without crush sleeve and after the measurements are made remove the races and install the correct shim thickness.

I have given up on getting a good rear axle out of another car. The one I bought off ebay was full of rust and needed to be rebuilt too...I guess after 40+ years you have to expect to rebuild

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts