Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone had directions on how to install a keyless ingintion? with a parts list would be great. i am stalled on the suspention untill i ger a balljoint press. iwhen i got my 69 gt project there were no keys and i want to get the engine running if i can.

thanx

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Willy, I picked up a steering column on e-bay a while ago, just to be sure my V-6 project car would be able to start with the key and an "Otto Start" system. My old switch appeared to be suspect. But it appears to be functioning again, so I have an ignition switch, with a single rusty key, but apparently functional. I'll check it again tomorrow with a VOM to be sure. If it works, it's yours for shipping. HTH.

Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i found a push button switch installed on the dash and it did turn the motor over, but no spark. i guess ill check the wireing under the dash.

thanx anyway everyone

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Willy, turn the ignition key on, then hit the starter switch under the dash. As with almost all the mods in this area, the pushbutton switch only energizes the starter solenoid, not the ignition to keep the car running after it's started. HTH.

Ron

·
188 Posts
key

dude, if you eant my switch, email mail me your address. all i want for the switch is like $15 the key is brannew. i just got one made for it. and what ever the shipping cost.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if i remember correctly, run a jumper wire from the battery to the positive side of the coil, and this will energize your ignition system, then jump the solenoid with a screwdriver, or use your pushbutton if thats working. i could be wrong as to what side of the coil you jump, somebody else might know. i've seen it done with a triumph and seen my dad do it with my old GT before it was mine.

Carter: still planning on getting the trans this weekend?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jared, you're right about running a hot wire to the positive side of the coil. That's the terminal that DOES NOT go to the distributor. :cool:

Ron

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
if i remember correctly, run a jumper wire from the battery to the positive side of the coil, and this will energize your ignition system, then jump the solenoid with a screwdriver, or use your pushbutton if thats working. i could be wrong as to what side of the coil you jump, somebody else might know. i've seen it done with a triumph and seen my dad do it with my old GT before it was mine.

Carter: still planning on getting the trans this weekend?
If you do this you risk a chance of burning up the coil. The car will start and run fine and then all of a sudden DIE!!! Some coils require a ballast resistor in order to not overheat the coil. When the starter is engaged, the coil gets the full voltage of the battery but the voltage drops once you release the starter.
Be sure of which setup you have before "hot wiring" it.

I bought a universal ignition switch for mine a long time ago and mounted the ignition switch in the hole where the cigarrette lighter used to be. It kept the keys out of the way and was really easy to do.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
First opel 1981 said:
I bought a universal ignition switch for mine a long time ago and mounted the ignition switch in the hole where the cigarette lighter used to be. It kept the keys out of the way and was really easy to do.
You didn't happen to do this to a red, 1975 Opel 1900 (aka Ascona) SportWagon? My SportWagon came to Canada last year via a salvage yard in Tacoma, WA, which isn't that far away from Oregon. And it came without factory keys; just an aftermarket ignition switch in the console, where the lighter used to be. Coincidence?

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
It was red but it was a 69. Actually, it was my first opel gt (hence my handle)
That car is long since gone to Opel heaven. Had to sell it due to hard times. The guy I sold it to decided it would make a great 4WD mud hopper. He was wrong and my little car was destroyed. *such is life* :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
universal ignition switch wiring

i wired in a universal ignition switch cause mine was pulled from steering column and damaged. i think i have it close t being wired right. i have the starter selenoid going to tab that says starter, the hot wire tab called battery. the accessary to tab called accessary, now for the last wire, does it come from the coil to the tab called ignition? if anyone knows please reply, also does the wire come from the positive post on the coil?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If you have an original coil, look for a transparent wire on your fuse panel, that is the wire you want to hook up to the ignition side of the ignition switch. It goes to the positive side of the coil. There is also another wire on that coil post that goes to the starter solenoid, it supplies power to the coil during the starting cycle. HTH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts