Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I picked up a beautiful little 1967 Kadett Kiemen coupe for $1600.

It’s in pretty fantastic shape. The underbody looks brand new without a spec of grease on it. It’s still fully coated in the original blue paint.

The interior is trashed as is typical for Texas cars. The window seals get baked and let water in to ruin the interior parts that the sun doesn’t get.

It is rust free except for two places. The trunk has some significant rot. The drain plugs are still perfect of course… a lot of Opels would still be around if the drain plugs weren’t so darn good lol. The other location is the battery tray. It looks easy enough to fix though.

The engine may or may not run. It’s missing the distributor and there are half a dozen caps and coils in the car. Some one apparently thought they had an ignition issue lol.
It’s a single carb 1.1L I think BUT the engine code is interesting it is 10-0172079 does that mean someone swapped in a smaller 1.0L from a Kadett A?

I know the transmission has been out before as it is painted yellow.

The rear end looks and sounds fine.

I need a new front hub and probably a full braking system.

I put on some spare lightweight turbine wheels today.

Tomorrow will be a big cleaning day. I’ll have to start making a list of parts and getting stuff ready to get reupholstered. Parts are going to be tricky for this little thing!

My plans for this project are to restore the suspension and brakes, treat/repair all rust, get the engine running reliably (I’ll probably sneak a 40 DCOE on it) but leave it mostly stock. Fully restore the interior and put all new rubber on it and just drive and enjoy it.

I don’t want to deal with paint or bodywork right now. So it will probably just get clear coated where it’s chipping and rusted and I’ll put it off for the future! The interior is way more important to me right now. I’d like to take my family and friends for drives in it and use it as a little grocery getter for fun.

·
Vendor
3,024 Posts
Nice find Kyler.
I recall you saying a while back that this was a "bucket list" car for you. I'm looking forward to reading about your efforts in getting it back on the road. It honestly doesn't look like it needs much.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a feeling you are just scraping the surface of what you eventually will do with this little beauty. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
399 Posts
Are you going to make youtube videos of it?

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you going to make youtube videos of it?
I’m undecided. I might do a couple. I really don’t have enough time these days to work on my cars and film and edit. Enjoy your high school and college days while you can lol.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
OH get out here with your camera tricks it's taken to long for my computer to load LOL
no way it looks like that this fast

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OH get out here with your camera tricks it's taken to long for my computer to load LOL
no way it looks like that this fast
Lol! It is that shiny, BUT it has a ton of freckles from rust spots and paint chips that are tough to see on camera. It’s also been battered by hail. She will be a gorgeous 20 footer though:) the trim is as good as it looks though. Nearly perfect chrome trim all around.

Also the underbody is exceptional

·
Opel Key Master
5,289 Posts
Yeah, the engine should say 11S. Surprised they found that engine before they could find a 1.1. I have most of all the rubber gaskets and clips for the Kadetts, should have rear glass gasket too. The tough items to find are the tail lights, the radiator hoses are the 1.0 style and not the 1.1 style though, the radiator outlets were smaller on 66-67 and had a larger radiator compared to the 68-71 models. Dash pads are unique to that year only as well. I have a matching blue material for the seats, but you have the black seats, some of the Crystal Blues had black interiors some had blue. Maybe yours is the Denim Blue, can’t tell

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the engine should say 11S. Surprised they found that engine before they could find a 1.1. I have most of all the rubber gaskets and clips for the Kadetts, should have rear glass gasket too. The tough items to find are the tail lights, the radiator hoses are the 1.0 style and not the 1.1 style though, the radiator outlets were smaller on 66-67 and had a larger radiator compared to the 68-71 models. Dash pads are unique to that year only as well. I have a matching blue material for the seats, but you have the black seats, some of the Crystal Blues had black interiors some had blue. Maybe yours is the Denim Blue, can’t tell
My headliner is cream, I think the door panels are custom, the seats and carpet are black. The car is definitely crystal blue.

Are you selling parts for these? If so I might send you a wish list and get some prices from you. I want to knock out the interior pretty soon and get my seats to a local upholstery shop.

If you have a carpet kit and all the rubber gaskets just go ahead and put me down for those! Goal number one is too get the mold smell and leaky windows fixed.

I also would like some original style door panels. I don’t care what trim level as long as they fit.

My lower rad hose is good. The upper needs to be replaced. My tail lights are ok. I’ll make them work until some pop up on eBay.

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

All polished, waxed and put up in the garage with her sister.

The hail damage is worse than I thought the poor car has more dents than a golf ball.
It will be an interesting job popping them all out later on.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
792 Posts
What kind of magic potion did you use to buff out that paint to make it look so good??

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What kind of magic potion did you use to buff out that paint to make it look so good??
It’s a multi step process and pretty expensive (about $250 and 8-12 hours of work) but much cheaper than a respray.

What I used
$90 random orbit polisher

$10 Polishing pads like this one 6 in. Medium Foam Polishing Pad - Green
I used 2x coarse, 2x medium, 1x fine, and 1x ultra fine pads ($60 total)

Meguires cutting compound, polish, and wax (about $65-100 depending on how much you use)

A bag of terry cloths

Step 1. Wash with a pressure washer and hand dry.
Step 2. Use the coarse pad with compound it will take about half a bottle per side of the car.
Cut until the paint is shiny and all the same color. Then do it again and again to be sure lol. (This step took 90% of the time)
Step 3. Medium pad with polish
Step 4. Fine pad dry
Step 5. Ultra fine pad dry
Step 6. Wax with terry cloths but don’t wipe off
Step 7. Buff with the dry ultra fine. If there is too much wax on the ultra fine pad wash it out with hot water and continue by hand with terry cloths until it dries.
Step 8. Keep the car topped up with wax very regularly. Griots spray on wax is my favorite.
It will take regularly waxing to protect your hard work and prevent the patina from spreading.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts