Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
429 Posts
What do you think about these Ceramic Coating for cars? I have never waxed my car.

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What do you think about these Ceramic Coating for cars? I have never waxed my car. View attachment 437434
The real ceramic coat is more expensive than a “good” respray at maaco.
The stuff you can buy at the auto parts store does work pretty well, but I prefer the ease of applying wax.

With ceramic coat you have to completely remove all contaminants and oils. And it’s a pain in butt to apply well. I’ve tried it a few times myself and it’s not worth the pain. It last 6 months while wax lasts almost indefinitely if you keep it topped up.

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I got a good bit done this weekend. I ripped out all of the rotting old interior and spent a full day cleaning out an absurd amount of clay and silt from the floorboards. I also dyed the nasty water and nicotine stained white headliner to black. Removed all the widows and replaced the rear window/rubber, pop out window seals, and grommets.
I made a quick and dirty rear package tray vinyl pad out of some marine vinyl and foam board.
And then reinstalled my seats with a saddle blanket cover for now until I can afford upholstery.
I also installed some decent rear “door” panels to replace my destroyed ones.

This $1600 car is now pushing close to $4600 after parts purchases… I’ve kind of bulk ordered everything I think I’ll need at once this time around. Should save me a killing on shipping in the end if it works out. But it hurts now.

Up next is front door seals which require some modification since I have an early 1967 Kadett. Also I’ll be replacing the window track felt, and the scraper rubber if I can figure out how the heck to get it out.
I have carpet coming in but it’s been stuck in customs for a week. Fingers crossed it comes in this week.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Wow, you are fully committed.

Or you should be…😏

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That's cool that you didn't have to replace the headliner.
Yep! I’m surprised. When I was stretching it tight again I had to be very careful. The edges are bit crispy.
I’ve had really good luck with colorbond LVP vinyl dye though. It should hold up 10 more years.

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow, you are fully committed.

Or you should be…
Yep I’m very committed. I’ve been looking for one of these for a long time! I intend to get it on the road this year. We will see how that goes.

Reactions: RallyBob

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
789 Posts
What do you think about these Ceramic Coating for cars? I have never waxed my car. View attachment 437434
Greetings Dan, hard to believe you have never had the experience/ the pleasure of waxing your GT. It is a small car and is very easy to clean and wax compared to say your basic SUV or Lincoln. Your paint looks to be in pretty good shape so I would recommend a good polish first just to clean it up really well and then a good quality car wax to bring back that shine that is hiding just below the surface. I just recently purchased a buffer, motivated by Knorm's success with his recent purchase/project car. While my paint was in excellent shape I first used polish and then wax and my paint is as smooth as glass and I have a feeling it would make your car look pretty close to new. Lets get that shine back. You have a new car just waiting to get out.....

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
429 Posts
Thank you Carl, what you are saying makes sense.

Kyler have you considered painting your floors with a sound deadening paint or Rhino Liner? Some paint on products have heat barrier properties as well.

·
Can Opeler
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thank you Carl, what you are saying makes sense.

Kyler have you considered painting your floors with a sound deadening paint or Rhino Liner? Some paint on products have heat barrier properties as well.
I’m not doing anything on the Kadett. I’m going for the authentic experience of driving GMs cheapest car of 1967 (possibly ever if adjusting for inflation).

My GT has peel and seal from Lowes. I’ve been happy with that. I wouldn’t have anything against doing it though.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
789 Posts
I had sealed the fender wells on my GT with a spray on sound dreading/undercoating product back in the mid 90's, I think it was Rust-oleum and just recently covered that with Rust-oleum truck bed coating/liner which covered the previous application with a hard shell seal which should keep out the water that we all worry about. That truck bed liner material is really good and easy to apply.
On the inside of the cabin, like Knorm65, I just learned and used his idea, I used the seal and peel which will help reduce both sound transmission and vibration and also used in inside the doors that gives it that solid sould when you close the door and of course helps with sound transmission - I covered the floors, the transmission tunnel and as much of the fire wall as possible which was not much, regarding the fire wall. I used three coats - not expensive, easy to apply and no odor. I also applied it to the area under the cargo area and when I remove the gas tank will do the entire rear of the car, again from the inside. Project by project it is getting done. Best. Will I. Finish

Tin Aluminum can Automotive tire Tin can Beverage can

21 - 31 of 31 Posts