Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That valve cover is going to leak pretty bad without any bolts in it!!!!

So, Kyler, when you bringing this little jewel to Guthrie so I can check it out and you can check out my shop?
Lol. It hasn’t earned the right to have the valve cover fully installed yet.

Probably a while. I moved to Texas and the only time I’m in Oklahoma I’m busy racing!

·
Vendor
3,053 Posts

Did a little restoration this evening. The little stuff like this is really why I work on cars.
Nice work. I agree-the detail stuff is the best part of working on cars.
I noticed the windshield washer reservoir looks like the one in the GTs. Does this also use the pneumatic foot pump/intermittent wipers system?
(Those shock tower caps also look familiar :) )

·
Can Opeler
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Nice work. I agree-the detail stuff is the best part of working on cars.
I noticed the windshield washer reservoir looks like the one in the GTs. Does this also use the pneumatic foot pump/intermittent wipers system?
(Those shock tower caps also look familiar :) )
A lot of parts are identical from the 67 Kadett to the GT. The dome light, clock internals, front suspension, door switches and wiper motor are the nearly identical too.

The washer pump does not engage the wipers, nor does it have a metal housing like the GT one. It’s just the rubber bulb screwed into the sheet metal. Surprisingly mine is still water tight and works.

Reactions: rrossjr

·
Can Opeler
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I did not know you have moved. You racing Sunday? You still auto crossing at the same venue as my brother (maroon MGB)?
Yep I was there racing today and will be Sunday too.

Reactions: soybean

·
Can Opeler
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
This is the inside of my Kadett gas tank. Everyone should be jealous. I’ve never seen an original gas tank this clean. The varnished gas in the tank had some oil of some sort in it I think.

Needless to say I reconnected the fuel lines to the carb and it’s running off of its own gas now. I drove the car about 20’ too lol.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
WOW very impressive.
Don't think anyone would have seen that coming
Good for you man one less item on the list of to do's

Reactions: Knorm65

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
447 Posts
This is the inside of my Kadett gas tank. Everyone should be jealous. I’ve never seen an original gas tank this clean. The varnished gas in the tank had some oil of some sort in it I think.

Needless to say I reconnected the fuel lines to the carb and it’s running off of its own gas now. I drove the car about 20’ too lol.
I can hardly wait for those Stainless Steel GT gas tanks to come out either.

·
Can Opeler
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Charging system is done now. The generator isn’t at peak efficiency, but it does charge to 14V at higher rpms. If it gives me trouble later on I’ll rebuild it.

Now that have tested every system on the car except the cooling system it’s time for the part I dread the most.

I need to start prepping and planning to rebuild the front suspension, and clean/paint/regasket the engine. I’m not looking forward to it this time.

I’m thinking I will disconnect the entire subframe with the engine attached and lift the car up over the engine. Then I should be able to roll the subframe out on its own wheels. That’s the theory anyway.

While it’s out I’ll weld the battery tray area, and repaint the entire engine bay. I’ll probably inspect and clean the heater core too.

The suspension will be mostly bolt on parts from my donor GT crossmember that already has poly bushings. I have a NOS master cylinder and new brakes, rotors, and GT hubs to install too. I will need to order a lowering spring and maybe ball joint or two.

The engine will be barely touched. I’m not going to mess with it too much since it runs really well. I’ll just clean it up cosmetically and replace oil pan and timing cover gaskets. I’ll also inspect the exhaust head pipe and paint it with header paint if it’s not too rusty.

I wish the Kadett had a separate crossmember like the GT. I really don’t want the engine AND suspension out at the same time but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Looking good,
Is that a 2 blade fan or is it an optical illusion?

·
Opel Key Master
5,302 Posts
You will have no problem using a 1" lowering spring on the suspension. I have reused the 2 leaf, but on 1.1 GTs they still used 3 leaf springs, I checked around with about 4-5 people with 1.1 GTs and found they all had 3 leafs.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It is a two blade fan. There were absolutely no frills on the 1963 Kadett A engine.
wow how interesting
Would it be safe to assume you would be going to a 4 or 5 blade

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I like your wire sleeve to the generator too.
The more I look at what I did the more I don't like it.
Effective yes but I'm leaning towards a little distasteful.

·
Can Opeler
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I like your wire sleeve to the generator too.
The more I look at what I did the more I don't like it.
Effective yes but I'm leaning towards a little distasteful.
Just wait. That was just temporary. I can’t stand looking at loose wiring. I will be making it look really nice soon.

Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Can Opeler
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I pulled the engine today.
Well I guess it’s more accurate that I pulled the body off of the engine and suspension. Super easy. I’m glad I tried this way.

I have a long road ahead.
All of the exhaust manifold bolts are sheared except for one. I’ll probably drop that off at the machine shop. It’ll cost me more in drill bits to fix it.

Rear main is leaking
Shifter needs to be removed and rebuilt as it’s missing all of the stupid bushings.

While the engine is out I’ll repair the battery tray rust and repaint the bay.

I’ll also regasket and paint the engine and suspension.

I’ll swap over all GT parts to the suspension. I’m a bit worried about the steering rack. The GT one might not fit.

Lots to do. I’m planning for 2 weekends of work but hoping for 1.

·
Can Opeler
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I got bored since my last post so I went out to do some more work.

I fixed the shifter. Gil and a couple other opelers told me the bushings on the GT shifter couldn’t be swapped into a Kadett shifter.

Actually the GT bushings and hardware fit perfectly and I have a fully function shifter now!

I just wish I didn’t have to kill a good GT shifter to fix it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
HA I new this was going to happen,
I told my wife on your posts before the last two ( I'm willing to bet money he's going to pull the engine and trans out)
She said wow that's alot of work for an old car.
I laughed and said he'll get it out in just a few hours If he doesn't have to much trouble.
I then told her think about how much time I've spent on my old car.
She then laughed and shook her head and said you guys and your opels
Keep it up Kyler, doing great

41 - 60 of 75 Posts