Opel GT Forum banner
121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I had a fairly productive weekend. I aligned the Kadett for roughly 1/8” toe in. I usually aim for 1/16th toe-in, but didn’t want to fiddle anymore. Besides it’s only really accurate to the 1/8th using a tape measure anyway. I removed the steering wheel and got it on straight too.

I drove the Kadett around town a little bit. It’s a very enjoyable car. Aside from a few problems.
The rear end is incredibly noisy with bearing or gear whine at all speeds. Could be normal for the leaf spring Kadett, I don’t know. The torque tube donut and bumpers are shot, the center bearing is probably contributing to noise too. I’ll probably replace all of the torque tube rubber and see if it quietens a bit. If not I’ll put some thicker gear oil in and call it good for now.

The GT feels like a heavy truck after driving the Kadett around. The doors weight 3x as much, the pedals are all tighter, it’s harder to steer, it vibrates more, harder to start, etc. It’s funny because the GT is MUCH smaller than the Kadett but weighs about a quarter more.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I’m sure you expected the new problems to pop up as you got it on the road. It doesn’t sound that bad considering. I’m sure you’ll get them straightened out one at a time as knowledgeable as you’ve become. I can’t get over the weight difference, I had no idea!

·
Can Opeler
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I'm more surprised "Kara is not in the pic?
But I can't deny that's pertty
Kara is asleep in a shipping container a few miles away on my dads property. That project will be on the back burner for some time I suspect. Maybe a decade to let it ferment a bit.
I just haven’t figured out what I want from it. I wish I would have come across that GT when I was a little older than 19. It wouldn’t have welded doors and a targa top if I had! I would have certainly left the window track in the door so I could have functional windows to keep the rain out at least.
I would have trouble recognizing me from 7 years ago if we met. It’s scary how much you change once you live in the real world a few years lol.

·
Can Opeler
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I’m sure you expected the new problems to pop up as you got it on the road. It doesn’t sound that bad considering. I’m sure you’ll get them straightened out one at a time as knowledgeable as you’ve become. I can’t get over the weight difference, I had no idea!
Oh absolutely! It will probably leave me stranded or close to it a few times before I get everything figured out. This old girl was a fleet car for a concrete and construction company until the late 80s after the wiring presumably caught on fire. (you can still see the fleet car number on the side in some places).
The transmission had ATF mixed with gear oil (it was bright red)

The rear end was sludgy

No flywheel rock shield

The flywheel bolts were stripped and a couple barley tightened.

The engine oil had likely never been changed based on the 1cm of sludge I cleaned out of the valve train and cover.

Some of the wiring had been on fire.

Etc etc. this was not a loved car. There will be problems lol.

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Kara is asleep in a shipping container a few miles away on my dads property. That project will be on the back burner for some time I suspect. Maybe a decade to let it ferment a bit.
I just haven’t figured out what I want from it. I wish I would have come across that GT when I was a little older than 19. It wouldn’t have welded doors and a targa top if I had! I would have certainly left the window track in the door so I could have functional windows to keep the rain out at least.
I would have trouble recognizing me from 7 years ago if we met. It’s scary how much you change once you live in the real world a few years lol.
Yes this may all be true, BUT you can't deny the joy ,experience and satisfaction you got out of doing what you did.
And truth be told It's still an awesome looking car even if it's for only dry weather day cruses.
Your right we all reflect on what if's later on down the road but that's part of the joys of life when your younger and have the opportunities and abilities to do what we do.
Either way Kyler the Targa of yours was/is an accomplishment and imho well worth the mod even if it takes up space to keep it dry 😎

·
Can Opeler
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
New shoes! It’s finally relatively safe to drive.
I went with uniroyal tiger paw 155-80-r13
Very close to the original bias ply size. The tires are a bit stretched to fit on these 5.5” wheels but I think they look just fine.

It was a bear to clean the blue paint off the white walls. Probably 4 hours with scotchbrite pads and hot water/dawn soap.

I also repainted the wheels with an aluminum paint as I was unable to polish the wheels to my satisfaction.
I

·
Can Opeler
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Cool man, we just need to find some center cups now
Rims turned out nice
I’ve got some coming in that might fit. It’s a strange size that’s not easy to find.

Reactions: soybean

·
Can Opeler
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
right on
Did you paint those before or after you had the tires put on?
Before. I used some of the fantastic Seymour aluma blast paint I’ve mentioned before.

I did an experiment and soaked the tires with WD40 before hand (I usually do this instead of taping off wheels).

This Seymour stuff penetrated the WD40 and stuck to the tire still. It’s good stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Can Opeler
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
New kadett Rallye muffler came in. It is louder than it was before I added it. I guess it’s actually a resonator?

Sounds pretty good!

I also confirmed that my kadett can go faster than 80mph. I’m surprised. It’s also very sketchy above 70mph. I think I’ll dial back my toe-in a bit and check the caster.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts