No before video, but here’s the after.
It’s the last photo in the post.

·
Registered
The Young One
530 Posts
No before video, but here’s the after.
It’s the last photo in the post.
I don’t have facebook So I can’t watch it.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Sam. No Facebook.

Kyler, I have a set of rims that came to me by way of Carlisle. Are they called Turbine rims? I had them cleaned up, powder coated, appears the same color. Pm me.

New kadett Rallye muffler came in. It is louder than it was before I added it. I guess it’s actually a resonator?
Resonator

I also confirmed that my kadett can go faster than 80mph. I’m surprised. It’s also very sketchy above 70mph. I think I’ll dial back my toe-in a bit and check the caster.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Do your rims bolt up on the hub? In the photos, it appears to. I held up the rim to the rear of my Gt and it wouldn't go over the lip. Got disgusted, Stacked them in the corner and walked away.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I just tried as well ( without logging in) and the last pic +4 only showed 3 pics and when you click to see 4th pic it brings me back to the original post.
No video found unfortunately

·
Can Opeler
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I just tried as well ( without logging in) and the last pic +4 only showed 3 pics and when you click to see 4th pic it brings me back to the original post.
No video found unfortunately
You’ll have to use a different browser. It works in safari and google chrome for me.

·
Can Opeler
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Do your rims bolt up on the hub? In the photos, it appears to. I held up the rim to the rear of my Gt and it wouldn't go over the lip. Got disgusted, Stacked them in the corner and walked away.
Yes they bolt up no problem. You have to have special lug nuts though. They are western wheels turbine II

Reactions: soybean

·
Can Opeler
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Fairly productive day today.

I rebuilt the torque tube center mount and replaced the universal joint. I was hoping that would fix the bearing noise I have while driving.
It didn’t, but it did fix the ding noise on acceleration and the clunking in reverse.

I wasn’t able to get my hands on a torque tube donut bearing for the 1.1L Kadett (SKF 360 /03 is what mine is marked). It’s possible it’s noisy when loaded. It felt ok on the bench, maybe a little dry.

Other than the bad news that it’s still noisy my speedometer also seized and destroyed itself while rest driving. It had been making a chirping noise. I thought it was a bad cable. Turns out the cable is fine. It was a rough spot in the speedo. I can’t even turn the shaft with a pair of pliers. I’ll disassemble it in a few days and see what the heck happened.

On the rear noise I’ll probably grab a center bearing from Keith and see if that clears it up before I start digging into the rear end or testing heavier oils.

Side by side of giant Opel GT torque tube support and itty bitty Kadett one.

Old bushing Vs new. Same as GT support bushing.

Rebuilt support and some rough painting on the rear end after degreasing. I’ll finish everything more nicely after I repaint the underbody.

Rhinolined the wheel wells and painted the brake drums with some left over caliper paint from the GT.

Starting to look like a brand new car from the bottom. It just needs to act like it lol.

·
Can Opeler
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Argh!!! I was able to fix the speedometer it got jammed by a piece of dried grease or something. It’s not going to stay fixed though. The gears are damaged from the ordeal.

The speedo cable survived

But guess what didn’t survive. The plastic gear in the transmission sheared!
Argh!
I’ll be searching for a w1005 plastic gear and seal while I’m at it.
Let me know if you have one opelspyder. I’ll make an order for a few things from you again.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I'm surprised the size difference between the two even though they look identical.
Are you able to use the gt one or do you have to use the original ?
It's all looking good Kyler, one day at a time

·
Can Opeler
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 · (Edited)
Now you guys can see how rough the trunk is. I ground off all the loose rust and paint and used phosphoric acid to convert it to a stable form of rust. Notice how it turned black:

I’m not repairing this the right way. It’s not worth it to me for a car that will never be worth anywhere near what I’ve already put into it. These Kadetts are $5000 max cars without a professional restoration (then they are $20k after spending 50k).

I’m using POR-15 Trunk repair kit. Basically it’s fiber reinforced POR15 to bridge the holes and epoxy on te underside to smooth. It works surprisingly well. I’ve used on the orange GT too and there have been no signs of bubbling paint or rust after 5 years.

More on it later. It will be ugly, but it will be covered with a rubber mat so who cares!

Phosphoric Acid, lead based paint dust, rust projectiles, and POR15 required a bit of PPE today.

·
Can Opeler
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
It’s coming together nicely. That POR15 fiber is strong stuff. After 24hrs of drying I can’t even stab through it with a screw driver through the drain holes.

The mat is cut from Lowe’s workbench mats.

I still have to sand down the epoxy on the underside, bondo on the rear quarter and then a top coat with my relatively similar to original blue green paint mix.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
465 Posts
Wow, looks great. That Blue Green matches up very nicely.
But where are your Drain Holes?

I believe TopGear's Jeremy Clarkson addressed this, and had recommended it to a fellow Opeler.

·
Can Opeler
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Wow, looks great. That Blue Green matches up very nicely.
But where are your Drain Holes?

I believe TopGear's Jeremy Clarkson addressed this, and had recommended it to a fellow Opeler.
It will still have most of the stock drain plugs reinstalled when I finish the bottom. The fiber is not perfectly water right, so it will drain if it’s ever needed.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts