Opel GT Forum banner

241 - 260 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Got a chance to test out my new 11lb battery and 7” cooling fan today. Both performed great!

The battery had a trial by fire because I accidentally left the fan on while I ate lunch. I’m going to try and make the cooling fan switch engage my audible warning system I installed previously so I don’t forget again. The car still started after lunch, but it was a bit sluggish. After charging while driving it was fine though.

It’s about 88°F with 50% humidity here today. The temp gauge creeped up to just below the center line. I was running the AC constantly today though so I think the fan helped keep the temp below 1/2 on the gauge. Maybe I’ll be able to use the AC when the dry 100°F heat comes later in August.

A couple of questions. Is that a fuel filter in the upper left corner of the one picture? The other is, have you tried an adjustable fan thermostat? My cycles on and off as needed, starting on at 200 F, off at 180 F. The black hose on the right how is it mounted and why isn't it connected to the Filter, just a cold air intake? Thanks, Jarrell PS: That is a sweet engine and the engine bay is so clean, Man that is really nice.

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
A couple of questions. Is that a fuel filter in the upper left corner of the one picture? The other is, have you tried an adjustable fan thermostat? My cycles on and off as needed, starting on at 200 F, off at 180 F. The black hose on the right how is it mounted and why isn't it connected to the Filter, just a cold air intake? Thanks, Jarrell PS: That is a sweet engine and the engine bay is so clean, Man that is really nice.
Yes that’s my clear fuel filter. I also have clear fuel line so I can see my fuel wherever it goes:)

I do have front and rear sway bars and every other available suspension mod from our parts suppliers.

I like to be able to turn my cooling fans off myself with a switch. I’ve tried a temp switch, but removed it.

The black hose just gives a little cold air to the carburetor at high speed. Steinmetz did this in the 1970s :)

Thank you!

Reactions: soybean

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
time to get rid of luggage rack, windshield wipers, a/c, cut carbs and maybe get 1st place?
Nah I wouldn’t be any faster with that stuff removed. Maybe a .01 second. Weight reduction just isn’t that big of a help unless you take it to the extreme or are racing on a large track.
Complicate and add weight!

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Yes that’s my clear fuel filter. I also have clear fuel line so I can see my fuel wherever it goes:)

I do have front and rear sway bars and every other available suspension mod from our parts suppliers.

I like to be able to turn my cooling fans off myself with a switch. I’ve tried a temp switch, but removed it.

The black hose just gives a little cold air to the carburetor at high speed. Steinmetz did this in the 1970s :)

Thank you!
Very nice on all three. I was lerry of Opels fuel line, so I ran steel line from the electric fuel pump all the way to the front through the frame wall and into a 2 row oil cooler like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-401 only 2 rows instead of the aboves 4, back out and into Carb. The black hose is a very neat idea. Where did you get that? Thanks, Jarrell

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Very nice on all three. I was lerry of Opels fuel line, so I ran steel line from the electric fuel pump all the way to the front through the frame wall and into a 2 row oil cooler like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-401 only 2 rows instead of the aboves 4, back out and into Carb. The black hose is a very neat idea. Where did you get that? Thanks, Jarrell
The intake hose was purchased at autozone. You can order anywhere though. Just search 3” intake pipe and it will likely show up.

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
I wired up a warning system so I won’t leave my fan on when I leave my Opel.

I initially tried to tap into the red brake warning light on the dash. Theoretically with the car off and the fan on I should have been able to get it to light.
I could not get this to happen and I’m absolutely stumped as to why. I think I might have needed a diode in the circuit for some reason. My idea was to have the switch for the cooling fan put power to the warning light ground wires and with the key off the power wire on the indicator light would act as a ground. This is exactly how the amp warming light works too. When the key is on and the fan is on you have 12V+ on the “ground” and power side so you get no light.

In testing this worked flawlessly but I had the cooling fan disconnected from the battery. Once I added the activated cooling fan to the same junction on my circuit everything reversed and the warning light only activated with the key on and the fan on. Somehow voltage was coming from one of the brake warning light “ground” wires I think.

Anyway it was a fun experiment that outsmarted me plus it was too hot outside to give troubleshooting time.

I ended up wiring the switch to my audible voice alert system.
My car tells me “please turn off the lights” if I leave on my cooling fan, or parking lights now.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I wired up a warning system so I won’t leave my fan on when I leave my Opel.

I initially tried to tap into the red brake warning light on the dash. Theoretically with the car off and the fan on I should have been able to get it to light.
I could not get this to happen and I’m absolutely stumped as to why. I think I might have needed a diode in the circuit for some reason. My idea was to have the switch for the cooling fan put power to the warning light ground wires and with the key off the power wire on the indicator light would act as a ground. This is exactly how the amp warming light works too. When the key is on and the fan is on you have 12V+ on the “ground” and power side so you get no light.

In testing this worked flawlessly but I had the cooling fan disconnected from the battery. Once I added the activated cooling fan to the same junction on my circuit everything reversed and the warning light only activated with the key on and the fan on. Somehow voltage was coming from one of the brake warning light “ground” wires I think.

Anyway it was a fun experiment that outsmarted me plus it was too hot outside to give troubleshooting time.

I ended up wiring the switch to my audible voice alert system.
My car tells me “please turn off the lights” if I leave on my cooling fan, or parking lights now.
What about a relay that takes the High voltage from the fan and wire it back to the brake warning light? I get confused with N.C. and N.O. circuits. I think it was N.C. I need to look at my notes. Jarrell

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Another great day at autocross.

I swear the GT is the ultimate autocross car!
The rear package tray perfectly fits 4 racing wheels, I can put a full size jack in the floor board and all my tools in the passenger seat at drive 40 miles to and from the track.

The GT handled so well today. It’s so speedy out there. The GT is a really competitive car with the basic modifications I have.

I got first in HCR and second in novice class today although you may notice my raw time is better than the guy who got first in novice the PAX (handicap) is not very good in HCR compared to his class unfortunately.
HCR standings

Novice standings

Overall raw time all cars

It was blazing hot today. 90° and likely 70% humidity. I’m glad to be home, and I’m glad I had AC on the way home although the AC increases my highway temp by quite a lot. It sits at about 208° F coolant temp with the engine on. I might be looking into an oil cooler and improving my condenser mounting as the summer gets hotter. I believe Gil told me his GT runs at about 212°F in the summer, but don’t quote me on that. Either way I’m not too worried yet.

Here’s a video of me autocrossing the GT

·
Senior Contributor
4,971 Posts
Nice run. Try keeping your hands at 9 and 3 unless you are executing a turn that requires a wheel re-grab, like a hairpin. You can rotate the wheel 180 degrees without letting go. You should find that you will be smoother through the course.

4,231 Posts
Nice run. Try keeping your hands at 9 and 3 unless you are executing a turn that requires a wheel re-grab, like a hairpin. You can rotate the wheel 180 degrees without letting go. You should find that you will be smoother through the course.
He Jeff you old racer, a other point is also good. Have look at the original Conrero GT from Maurice.Conrero used the Opel Rekord C Shifter.So the way from the steering wheel and the shifter is shorter. They old racers must know why.:cool:

Attachments

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
I installed a lateral G and acceleration gauge in my car today! I didn’t like how a pillar pods looked. So a friend of mine designed me a pod to mount on the door panel. We vacuum formed it over a 3d printed mold.

It’s mounted with velcro and the gauge is interference mounted with quick disconnect wires so I can swap it to my other GT on the fly.
It’s wired to switched fuse power, grounded to the door, and is connected to my dimmer switch.

·
Vendor
2,572 Posts
Nice work. It looks like a good fit.
I'm not really familiar with this instrument. Do you only get real time info or can you save and output the data for
later analysis? What kind of G readings have you seen with the GT?
Ron in Indy

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #257 (Edited)
Nice work. It looks like a good fit.
I'm not really familiar with this instrument. Do you only get real time info or can you save and output the data for
later analysis? What kind of G readings have you seen with the GT?
Ron in Indy
I won’t have any good values until my next track day. My truck gets .68Gs on the street though. I haven’t driven the GT yet.

It gives real-time display of how many Gs you are pulling. It can be set to Lateral Gs or Accel/Decel Gs.
It can also measure 0-60 and quarter mile times as well as measure dynamic horsepower after calibrating vehicle weight in the gauge.
Lastly it has a function to practice reaction times.

You can review maximum values inside the gauge, but you can not output data to a computer.

Edit just tested the Opel on my street tires. My best is .69Gs. My truck certainly handles better on these Oklahoma roads:p
With my track tires that I have my suspension tuned with I’d expect low .80s, at the track maybe mid .8s! We will have to wait a while to find out.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Awesome! Good for you!

·
RunOpel
1,234 Posts
Well isn't that cool. Your becoming a legend young man, nice job. Both racing and promoting the Opel GT.
Keep up the good work and stay safe.
Dan

241 - 260 of 289 Posts