Opel GT Forum banner

261 - 280 of 289 Posts

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
337 Posts
Congrats on your recent class victory in Heritage ClassR (Triumph not a good name for the competition) and 2nd over all for points in Novice for 2019. Very impressive.

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Congrats on your recent class victory in Heritage ClassR (Triumph not a good name for the competition) and 2nd over all for points in Novice for 2019. Very impressive.
Thanks Dan, and everyone else!

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #264 (Edited)
I think my year of auto crossing has come to a close. This year I went to all 13 events in my area and won trophies at every event (I did have competition too lol). There is one more event that I’m probably not going to so I will probably fall from 2nd to 3rd out of 60 in the novice class, but I’ll still be 1st in Heritage classic Race.

The competition was tough this year and my Opel and I really had to fight to beat some very good drivers.

My Opel spent at least 30 miles above 5000rpm and I accidentally hit my emergency rev limiter of 6700 (or more) several times.

I only hit a handful of cones, and I only broke down twice. Both times for the throttle linkage popping off. One of those times I managed to fix the car in the track without DNFing and got the slowest clean time of the day.

I have had to do almost zero maintenance on my car this year and nothing has truly broken (yet). I’m very proud of my GT and how well I seem to have built her.

There’s more speed in her, but it’s going to be tough to get it out.

For the future I really need a few things to make the car more drivable on course. I am severely limited by my redline and gearing. I constantly have to feather the throttle in high speed sections because I’m above 6000rpms in second and third is way too big of a jump down in rpms.

- I really want a mild cam where I can actually make a bit more power above 6000rpms.
I spend all my time on the track and highway above 4000rpm anyway. Low end power isn’t as important to me.

-I need to get the thicker OGTS rear sway bar (not the front one though. The addco one is sized better for me). I need to modify my upper control arms to get some negative camber. +1° isn’t cutting it. I also need to drop the rear trailing arm mounts to adjust my anti-squat geometry.

-I would like a lower rear end ratio to drop my rpms a bit (since I can’t afford a close ratio gearbox to make 3rd nicer)

-an LSD would shave off an incredible amount of time on the track. I’m constantly fighting one wheel spinning on turns.

-I’ll probably drill out the vacuum advance port that my DCOE has a blank for, and go back to a vacuum advance distributor. I miss the 55° of advance at partial throttle. Plus the advance will help the transition from partial to full throttle.

-eventually I will rebuild the engine with balanced components and tune it to 1999cc with Risse high compression pistons (it’s currently 1980cc with OGTS 2.0 pistons) I really want a redline above 7,000rpm but I won’t do this unless this engine is toast in the future.

These are all things that I probably won’t get to for a number of years. I’ll probably do the Quaife LSD first because my early rear end is a weak link in my setup right now.

Regardless of what parts I need to make my car more competitive for its awful PAX modifier, I had a lot of fun this year. I probably won’t do any car shows anymore. These moving car shows are much less stuffy and more fun to me! No car show politics to deal with:)

PS

No change in compression after this year in autocross. The numbers are just as bad as before. Average 135psi dry and 150psi wet. Guess I’ll just keep enjoying it. I wonder if my stock 2.0L cam is a bit worn. #1 might have a little ring sealing trouble, but it hasn’t changed pressures in the last 5 years so what the heck.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I really think you should pop some 2.2 /2.4 valves in that stock 2L head of yours, do some nice port work and upgrade to a combo cam, I'm sure that will yield you another 15 to 20+hp.

According to Bob's measurements, the stock 2L heads only flow 92 cfm vs the stock 1.9 heads 88 cfm on the intake valves. On a 1.9 heads with larger Opel 45 mm intakes Bob's get simular flows to 1.72 Chevy valves witch is 110+ cfm. So their is much more potential power for you with these upgrades

Reactions: dpre and Knorm65

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Just to compare notes. After 2700miles, my fresh 2L with an Isky OR-66 hyd cam, dry test gave me 148-145 -142 -150 psi.

P.S.Your car pictures look awesome!

Reactions: Knorm65 and dpre

·
RunOpel
1,233 Posts
Very nice Kyler, sounds like you had a great summer :yup: You are definitely taking the Opel to the extreme. Just goes to show what awesome cars we all get to drive whether its on the track or just pleasure driving :lmao:
Dan

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Just to compare notes. After 2700miles, my fresh 2L with an Isky OR-66 hyd cam, dry test gave me 148-145 -142 -150 psi.

P.S.Your car pictures look awesome!
Thank you! I think your cam has an 8° overlap which isn’t very much. Your numbers would be a bit higher with my cam but probably not much.

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
My Opel ended up getting first in its class and 2nd out of nearly 60 novice drivers this year. Can’t wait to get out there again and beat some more miatas:)

Put on some new wheels and tires the other day. 15x8 Rota TBTs ET0 with Toyo Proxes RR1 225-45-r15 tires front and rear. Looks great. Can’t wait to try them on the track.

I have some adjustable uniball rear trailing arms and a watts link coming in from Germany and I’m planning on dropping the rear trailing arm mounts 1” to correct to anti-squat geometry. I might also make some adjustable camber control arms and strengthen them up a bit!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Kyler, You only go around once! You are having fun, live it and love it. The years will go by so very quick.

Paul in Mi

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
337 Posts
My Opel ended up getting first in its class and 2nd out of nearly 60 novice drivers this year. Can’t wait to get out there again and beat some more miatas:)

Put on some new wheels and tires the other day. 15x8 Rota TBTs ET0 with Toyo Proxes RR1 225-45-r15 tires front and rear. Looks great. Can’t wait to try them on the track.
Sweet trophies! I like the tire/ wheel combo, they look sticky. If you are needing to try them out, we used to run Solo II's on the south east corner of lloyd noble.

·
RunOpel
1,233 Posts
Congratulations Kyler, nice representation for the Opel GT :yup:
I like those wheels, very sharp. Paul's comments are right on, lots
of wisdom in those words :veryhappy

Keep having fun, but always be smart and safe

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Sweet trophies! I like the tire/ wheel combo, they look sticky. If you are needing to try them out, we used to run Solo II's on the south east corner of lloyd noble.
I’ll probably go to the car meet there on Thursday unless we move it to the parking garage again.

Thanks! I like the wheels/tires too. I wanted to try something different than the banana spokes that every modified GT has. I think these wheels look like a modern take on a retro 4-spoke.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Way to go Kyler that's getting it done
Yes the rims/tire match up look great
They actually look closer to the paint shceme I'm working on then My rims
want to trade LOL

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
HA I'm glad I found this thread I'm cleaning my spare cover today to redo and Paint as well
Questions
1 When I put the inners back together with the (chore boy scuff stuff) Do I need to use blue loc on them
2 Are there any torque specs for those little bolts or just nice and snug
Yours turned out really nice Kyler
3 Can I use any other paint than the VHT? ( I have no idea what that is
I'd like to keep the theme going on mine with a rustoleum paint that's good to 200 degree's I believe
4 under normal conditions how hot does the valve cover typically get?

·
Can Opeler
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
HA I'm glad I found this thread I'm cleaning my spare cover today to redo and Paint as well
Questions
1 When I put the inners back together with the (chore boy scuff stuff) Do I need to use blue loc on them
2 Are there any torque specs for those little bolts or just nice and snug
Yours turned out really nice Kyler
3 Can I use any other paint than the VHT? ( I have no idea what that is
I'd like to keep the theme going on mine with a rustoleum paint that's good to 200 degree's I believe
4 under normal conditions how hot does the valve cover typically get?
1. Nah

2. I’m sure there are, but just get em snug.

3. That will probably be fine. VHT is avaliable at autozone and it’s the longest lasting spray paint I’ve used IF you bake it like I did.

4. You can always touch it without burning your hand so not hot.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thank you Kyler I realized when I pulled the insides out that there are little lock washers on them
I'm glad I did as 1 of the washers was split in half
I can only imagine how much damage that would cause if it fell out into the valves

261 - 280 of 289 Posts