Opel GT Forum banner

281 - 289 of 289 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Thank you Kyler I realized when I pulled the insides out that there are little lock washers on them
I'm glad I did as 1 of the washers was split in half
I can only imagine how much damage that would cause if it fell out into the valves
Probably less than you’d think. Most likely it would just go to the bottom and eventually make it into the oil pan or get stuck on the massive amount of cast iron on the top. It would be tough for it to find a place to do damage.

·
Can Opeler
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
I put on some nice adjustable helm joint control arms today. They look great and seem to be quite smooth. It was a bit too cold today to do an extended test, but the car felt smooth and not much harsher than poly bushings if any.

These don’t have an e-brake cable mount on them so I put some large heat shrink and some fancy fiber tape for a temporary friction guard.

I got them from mk-rennsport. They are very high quality. Far better than anything I could have made. They have aluminum bushings and are adjustable without removing either end from the car (thank you reverse thread!)

I also replaced the bolts on my diff cover. I think that might be the last of the stock bolts on my car aside from flywheel and head bolts. Literally every other accessible nut and bolt has been replaced with a new yellow zinc plated one or plain zinc if yellow wasn’t avaliable.

My addco endlinks got bent again so I went and got some 3/8” thick ones from autozone. Much better quality and about 50% thicker.

Reactions: dpre

·
Opeler
3,682 Posts
This is nice upgrade. Beside improved handling and increased safety, adjustable trailing arms allow perfect alignment of rear axle. I also suggest that you should install rubber boots over heim joints to protect them from water and dirt.

·
Can Opeler
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Good idea P.J. Thanks for the link!

·
Can Opeler
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
I did some testing and tuning today. I’ve successfully deleted and replaced my carburetor emulsion tubes with “Venturi Fountain Tubes.” The increase in low end power is in phenomenal. It feels like I’m driving a fuel injected car. Transition is much smoother too. Without an emulsion tube transition is controlled solely by float bowl level. Right now I’m transitioning a hair later than I’d like but it’s so close I probably won’t mess with it again.

The Venturi fountain tubes and associated retuning shaved a full second off of my quarter mile time and increased my quarter mile speed by nearly 5mph. I’m at about 16.9 seconds on rough asphalt. I’d probably be able to get .2 seconds off of that at the track.

My g force meter predicted my HP based on the 2063lbs my car plus me weighed at the drag strip was 105hp. I bet that’s fairly close to correct. I’d guess 100hp is more likely. Big improvement from 78HP a few years ago.

I’m having some issues with my rev limiter kicking in intermittently at 5000+ rpm. (It’s set at 7000) I need to figure out that issue and this little car will be flying!

·
Opeler
877 Posts
I did some testing and tuning today. I’ve successfully deleted and replaced my carburetor emulsion tubes with “Venturi Fountain Tubes.” The increase in low end power is in phenomenal. It feels like I’m driving a fuel injected car. Transition is much smoother too. Without an emulsion tube transition is controlled solely by float bowl level. Right now I’m transitioning a hair later than I’d like but it’s so close I probably won’t mess with it again.

The Venturi fountain tubes and associated retuning shaved a full second off of my quarter mile time and increased my quarter mile speed by nearly 5mph. I’m at about 16.9 seconds on rough asphalt. I’d probably be able to get .2 seconds off of that at the track.

My g force meter predicted my HP based on the 2063lbs my car plus me weighed at the drag strip was 105hp. I bet that’s fairly close to correct. I’d guess 100hp is more likely. Big improvement from 78HP a few years ago.

I’m having some issues with my rev limiter kicking in intermittently at 5000+ rpm. (It’s set at 7000) I need to figure out that issue and this little car will be flying!
This is really cool to hear about. Which carb(s) are you running again? Were these something you purchased or made?

·
Can Opeler
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
These were designed and made by a rather inventive individual on the Weber DCOE tuners yahoo group called sidedraft central. I figure he’s still selling them but I don’t know that for sure. He also makes special idle jets for cammed cars with lower than 18inHg vacuum.

·
Can Opeler
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #288 (Edited)
Had my first autocross of the year today! Went pretty smoothly and I got first in my PAX class and 2nd in the race tire group.

Unfortunately my darn lower AC bolt sheared again. This is the second time. I upgraded to a grade 12.9 bolt to prevent it happening again, but it didn’t work.
I can’t get a broken portion of the bolt out to free the AC Compressor and I haven’t decided if it’s possible to remove the lower mount bracket with the AC compressor in place yet. I think maybe if I remove my oil filter.

I really don’t want to take this all apart and recharge the system again, but I don’t see another option yet. Sheesh

Edit: I managed to get the compressor free. Unfortunately there is a tiny crack in the housing and I’m losing pressure. Already got another compressor ordered. My friend and I are going to see about making a couple changes to how I have my compressor mounted. I’d really like a poly bushing for one of the mounts. The vibrations at 6600 must be shaking it apart even when it’s not on.

281 - 289 of 289 Posts