Opel GT Forum banner
321 - 337 of 337 Posts

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
430 Posts
How dare a 50 year old bearing wear out.
You are going to replace both sides?

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
How dare a 50 year old bearing wear out.
You are going to replace both sides?
These were replacement bearings. It was “rebuilt” at some point.

The other side is good, but yes I went ahead and spent $225 to get bearings for both sides...

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
Good choice. I have seen the way you drive. You are going to need new bearings.
Hey I didn’t put slicks on here for looks only!

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
I pressed on the new bearings and retainers today. It’s 3°F in my garage so I’m not putting the axles in yet lol.

Hopefully everything will be good to go with no noise this time.

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
It got to a blazing hot 23°F today so I put my axles back in. Unfortunately, the Opel can only drive in reverse in the snow with summer tires on lol!

Oh well I had a bit of fun inching around in 8” of snow. I'll have to do a full test of the axles when it all melts.

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·

·
Über Genius
9,461 Posts
If reverse works in snow, swap tires sideways.

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
If reverse works in snow, swap tires sideways.
They aren’t directional tires. It has more to do with my approach angle. The front end has to push through the wall off snow at grille level. The rear has much more clearance.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Nope, But I would like to dive into the cake on the table LOL

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Nope, but is that an orange slice in your tree? Why lol?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Actually Knorm, we have some dumb robins who made the trip a bit early. They like fruit....so, orange slices in the bush. And, we really have not had that much of the white sh.t this year.

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
The new bearings solved my noise problem. The rear end sounds quiet and I haven’t spotted any leaks. I think I did it!

I also installed my zugstreben today. I can’t tell any difference with them installed. I bet they will help marginally at the track by helping me maintain my caster in corners.

·
Can Opeler
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
I went and did some real racing at Hallet Raceway with weekend. It was a pretty crazy day. I’ll write more about it later.

One of the cool things is I had to get weighed for tech. They have some very accurate scales. I was very surprised how close to perfect my weight distribution is. The trailer hitch I added actually shifts my weight distribution rearward enough to be just ~40lbs shy of 50/50 with a full gas tank. Who would have thought.

Also my cross distribution and left to right are perfect 50/50.

These values are with me in the car. The actual car weight with roughly half a tank and me out of it was 2141lbs. I do run with my spare tire in the stock location. And the battery in the stock location.

Ive added about: 25lbs (hitch rear), 10lbs (mid rear AC), 20lbs (front AC), negative 20lbs (front Braille battery upgrade), 10lbs front (brake reaction rods).

That adds up to about +45lbs in my build. Which means that the 2100 weight number might be accurate for a stock GT with skinny tires and a partial tank of fuel.

From now on I only need to add weight to the passenger rear!

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
430 Posts
... One of the cool things is I had to get weighed for tech. They have some very accurate scales. I was very surprised how close to perfect my weight distribution is. The trailer hitch I added actually shifts my weight distribution rearward enough to be just ~40lbs shy of 50/50 with a full gas tank. Who would have thought.

Also my cross distribution and left to right are perfect 50/50.

These values are with me in the car. The actual car weight with roughly half a tank and me out of it was 2141lbs. I do run with my spare tire in the stock location. And the battery in the stock location.

Ive added about: 25lbs (hitch rear), 10lbs (mid rear AC), 20lbs (front AC), negative 20lbs (front Braille battery upgrade), 10lbs front (brake reaction rods).
Not going to mention the 20lbs Truck Nutz on your Opel?

321 - 337 of 337 Posts