Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I just joined this forum.

Currently in the process of resoting my 1972 Opel GT. Need to know the part number of the KONI Sports kit that suits the GT for street application. I am referring to everything i need (shocks, sway bars, leaf springs). My local Kini dealer could not find the Opel GT in his catalog and asked me for a part number.

Please help.

Thanks to you all
Amr
Cairo, Egypt :)

·
Driver
987 Posts
petrieopel said:
Front Konis 80-1580
Rear Konis 80-1997
Trent
Are these for stock ride hight or sport springs (1.5"-2" lowered)?
Thanks,

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Sorry Been down in TX for thanksgiving

The Shocks came off my race car so they work for lowered cars

you might not like the red Konis i know i did not

they only rebound adjustable and you have to take them out to adj them

Davegt27

·
Driver
987 Posts
davegt27 said:
Sorry Been down in TX for thanksgiving
Never apologize for being in TX:D

The Shocks came off my race car so they work for lowered cars

you might not like the red Konis i know i did not

they only rebound adjustable and you have to take them out to adj them
What does rebound adjustable mean? I just need something to work w/ the spring I bought from you. Once I get them right I won't be adjusting them any more. It's a street car.

Davegt27
Thanks Dave, George

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rebound adjust means that you can regulate the "speed" that the shock allows the spring to expand again after compression. This is done by "closing" or "opening" more the hole from were the oil pass.

Geee, look at me, talking technician and in English... :eek: it's Friday afternon fever... :D

Corect me if I sayd something wrong...

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Hey George you want to sell me that front spring Back?

I decided since I cant get rid of all this Opel Stuff might as well stay in Opels for a while.

Davegt27

·
Driver
987 Posts
davegt27 said:
Hey George you want to sell me that front spring Back?

I decided since I cant get rid of all this Opel Stuff might as well stay in Opels for a while.

Davegt27
Well then what would I do with the front end of my car? :D I've lowered the rear too, so it would look pretty funny with a stock front spring again.
No, I like the look and don't really mind the ride, I just need some compatible shocks.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
OK i understand thought I would ask.

They used to take a leaf out of stock springs if I remember right.

I ran a sport spring on the front and on the rear i cut one coil out

that lead to a car that would 4 wheel drift when i autocrossed

but it rode like a buck board everyone hated it except me i thought it was great (the part about riding like a buck board gets left out a lot)

Also I had an absolutely wicked bump-steer problem so be careful.

for shocks i used Gabriel on the front or was it Monroe i forget (1996 last time i had a street GT)

nowadays shocks should not be to big of a problem

Hell I have 3 sets of adj. shocks in my living room.

anyway let me know if you change your mind about the spring

Davegt27

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the sport spring on my GT with the Koni red shocks. I have the shocks set full (+), and enjoy the ride.

·
1,973 Posts
koni 80C-2141 shows up as the ascona and the manta, is that interchangeable with the gt?

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
jordan said:
koni 80C-2141 shows up as the ascona and the manta, is that interchangeable with the gt?
Only if the GT is lowered 2+ inches.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Koni Yellow for Street Application?

I am close to getting my GT back on the road. I just ordered new front and rear springs from OGTS to lower it 1". I would also like to replace the shocks with Konis at the same time. I would prefer to have the Koni Sport (yellow) to match the car, but the OGTS website does not recommend these for street applications. Mine will just be a pleasure car (no racing). Has anyone run the Koni yellows for street applications? Were you happy with the ride? It sounds crazy, but I would prefer the yellow ones to match the car's color. However, I do not want to rattle my teeth when I go for a drive.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,269 Posts
Spray Paint!

That's some serious cash for racing application Koni's just because you want yellow colored shocks. Why not just paint the ones you have yellow and put Koni letters on them? Are you unhappy with how your shocks are currently performing? I have the lowering front and rear springs, plus sway bars and I'm using KYB heavy duty shocks and my car is hard as a rock. I gather that even red Koni's are stiffer than what I've got. I can only imagine how stiff yellows must be. I had a conversation with OGTS about them and was told that they are REALLY stiff.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about Koni's vs. other shocks. I thought that they don't make Koni's anymore? Aren't all the ones out there OLD stock? That's all I ever see being sold at Carlisle. Am I wrong? Can you trust 10-20 year old shocks? Wouldn't the seals be degrading by now?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I should have mentioned that the ones I have on there now are just standard Monroe shocks. I did paint them to match the car. With all the other upgrades (lowering springs, sway bars), I thought I should go ahead and upgrade the shocks as well. So, I will most likely go with either the Koni reds or yellows.

If you go to the Koni websie (KONI North America - Home Page), and enter 1970 Opel GT it will provide part numbers for the yellows (80 1580Sport for the front and 80 1997Sport for the rear). They do not list the red ones.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Changed my mind

Never mind. I just spoke to Gil and he talked me out of the Konis for my application. He recommended the KYBs. So, I have them on order.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Can you trust 10-20 year old shocks? Wouldn't the seals be degrading by now?
I do know that BILSTEIN offers a rebuild service for their shocks, even rebuilding for whatever driving style you want, KONI might offer the same service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts