Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm in the process of rebuilding my frontend, I decided to get some Koni Reds. I will have the stock spring, stock height, poly bushings, and will be adding a sway bar soon. What is your recommendation for an adjustment...I was thinking right in the middle?? Also, these directions are kinda confusing..is making the shock stiffer, clockwise, or counter clockwise??

Thanks.

·
Driver
987 Posts
Also curious about Koni Red setting.

I am putting a full set of four Koni Reds on my GT which is lowered 2" in the front and rears cut off the top to level with the front. What is a good setting?
I have found that Bob says for the Yellows 3/4 front and 1/4 to 1/3 in the rear. But what about the Reds? And I am assuming that is stated as 0/4 is full soft and 4/4 is full firm?
Thanks,

·
Opel Key Master
5,525 Posts
I have some of the reds and was actually today playing with the rear adjustment, I like the factory setting myself, Too many turns seems quit tight. Especially the last setting. I won't know on the front for a while, but it seems easy enough to take them loose, adjust them and drive and test-It may be different on your car opposed to someone elses.
Keith

·
Driver
987 Posts
I like the factory setting myself, Too many turns seems quit tight.
Keith
OK, what is factory setting? I got these used and they were all set to full - or soft. Is that factory?
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
8,350 Posts
OK, what is factory setting? I got these used and they were all set to full - or soft. Is that factory?
Thanks,
I believe the second click is the factory setting. As Keith mentioned and I've adjusted a pair of my own off the car the 4th setting is quite firm. :yup:

If the following is not the correct series for your application let me know and I'll edit my post for the correct ones.

Koni North America - ITT - Adjustment
Adjustment Procedure 76, 80, 82, 86, 87, 88, 90, 8040, 8240 Series

Rebound Adjustment Procedures

Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower eye or pin attached in a vise. Use clamp plates to prevent damage.

Fully collapse the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (counterclockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjustment nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly.

Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and it must be removed prior to adjusting.

The damper may have already been adjusted. Therefore check whether the shock absorber is in the adjustment position or not by keeping it collapsed and gently turning it further to the left counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and do not use force.

Keeping the shock absorber collapsed, make 1 half turn (180 degrees) to the right (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of half the turns previously found. The total range is about 5 half turns.

Pull the shock absorber out vertically without turning for at least 1 cm to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

ADJUSTING DIRECTION

Clockwise = Firmer
Counter Clockwise = Softer
Harold

·
Driver
987 Posts
I adjusted it to full firm and I couldn't pull it apart anymore. Granted, a the springs on my car have a little more force than I do.:yup:
Mine don't have any "clicks". It is 2 1/4 turns lock to lock.
The fronts I had to push out the rubber ring. The rears just went full compress and could be adjusted.
So if you said two clicks out of four, that would equate to 1 1/8 complete turns. Halfway mark? Both front and back the same?

·
Opel Key Master
5,525 Posts
Harold has some older style Konis I believe and his have settings, the new ones do roatate and they do not have specific indents to adjust in. Yes they turn about 2 turns, mine were right at the softest setting, and I would start with that.
Non of us here on this site can really answer your question, as we do not know how you drive, what type of surface you are driving on (city roads, country, race track, mountains) and wheels and tires and such. All of these are varibles that just have to be played around with. If you have lowered the car matters as well. Thats why they are adjustable. I think it would be easy to loosen the bottom of the shock, push it forward, and make your adjustment, then reconnect the lower part back.
Keith

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
So if you said two clicks out of four, that would equate to 1 1/8 complete turns. Halfway mark? Both front and back the same?
Rears should be a bit softer...I'd actually leave them at the stock setting (full soft) for use with stock springs and street driving. And maybe 1/4-1/2 up front.

The reason has to do with the spring rates, and a person's tolerance for ride quality. Most anyone can tolerate a stiff front suspension, but a too-stiff rear suspension is what jars the kidneys after hitting a bump. Koni's are very soft in compression damping, which makes for a nice ride. With Koni's, most of the damping is in the rebound (as you found out trying to extend the shocks at the stiffest setting).

The rebound damping is what keeps the car from 'bouncing' or porpoising after compressing the springs and having them rebound. 'Too little' and it bounces, 'too much' and it stays in the 'down' position too long. 'Just right' and the handling AND ride quality can improve.

HTH,
Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,350 Posts
Yes they turn about 2 turns, mine were right at the softest setting, and I would start with that.
Non of us here on this site can really answer your question, as we do not know how you drive, what type of surface you are driving on (city roads, country, race track, mountains) and wheels and tires and such. All of these are varibles that just have to be played around with. Keith
These are performance shocks and I think you would be fine starting with one of the lower settings and working your way up if you are so inclined.

Harold

·
Driver
987 Posts
Non of us here on this site can really answer your question, as we do not know how you drive, what type of surface you are driving on (city roads, country, race track, mountains) and wheels and tires and such. All of these are varibles that just have to be played around with. If you have lowered the car matters as well.
Keith
I agree. I did state that my car was lowered 2" but I agree, that is not enough info. It is the sport front spring and cut rears, riding low! 205/60-13 on 13"x6" aluminum wheels. Adco front and rear sway bars. Adjustable pan hard bar, button poly bump stops in front. Windy back country roads through the Texas Hill country with some potholes and such. And some city driving. I don't do any racing or anything, I just like to take it out on the twisty curvys and drive it like I stole it!
I like going around the "15 MPH" curves at 40 wound up in 2nd gear.
Bob, your suggestion of full soft rear and 1/2 -1/4 in front for stock suspension...should I still start start with that that for mine? Mine is by far, much stiffer than stock.
Thanks guys, I am excited about putting them on.:drive:

·
Car Nut
65 Posts
My 2 Cents...

George,

You and I have very similar set up.on my Previous I just installed "My" Koni Reds strait from the box, In my opinion the Front was OK & but the Rear was too soft. The Cut Spring overpowered the Shocks and felt like I had none. I'm not sure what the factory sets them at. I would go with Rally Bobs suggestion of 1/2 Stiff in Front. For the Rear, I would experiment with 1/4 to 1/3, Setting. Just my 2 cents.

·
Senior Contributor
1,649 Posts
Where can I buy Koni's ??

I have been thinking about getting a set of Koni Reds for my GT. I like the idea that you can adjust them for a better ride. I been trying to get a set for over a few months from OGTS, but they been out of stock.
What are the Model Numbers Koni Red and where can I get a set?
using stock rear springs, and OGTS Front Sport Spring
I guess once you dial in the shock adjustments your good to Go. :drive:

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
I am putting a full set of four Koni Reds on my GT which is lowered 2" in the front and rears cut off the top to level with the front. What is a good setting?
I have found that Bob says for the Yellows 3/4 front and 1/4 to 1/3 in the rear. But what about the Reds? And I am assuming that is stated as 0/4 is full soft and 4/4 is full firm?
Thanks,
On my lowered suspension GT, I have my Koni reds adjusted at:

1 1/2 front & max. in the rear.

Very decent handling.

Considering going with Bilsteins in the next round of changes.

·
Driver
987 Posts
On my lowered suspension GT, I have my Koni reds adjusted at:

1 1/2 front & max. in the rear.

Very decent handling.

Considering going with Bilsteins in the next round of changes.
Ya, like I said earlier a buddy of mine ran Koni reds in the front and Bilsteins in the back and I searched and could not find any applications for the GT.

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Didn't know Bilstein had an application for the GT. Care to share the part numbers?
Neither Koni or Bilstein have a 'US' part number for Opel GT's anymore, but you can get them in Europe still, or from OGTS.

BTW, the original GT rear shocks on all US cars were Bilsteins. Fronts were typically Boge.

·
Driver
987 Posts
Neither Koni or Bilstein have a 'US' part number for Opel GT's anymore, but you can get them in Europe still, or from OGTS.
Actually, Koni 80-1580 is listed for the Sport shock (yellow) for 69-72 GT. Front, and 80-1997 is listed for the rear in several places on Google.com
ie: Suspension Online - Koni, Eibach, H&R, Bilstein, Pagid

This confused me because this was discussed as the part number for the reds.:confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.