Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys Kool April Nites car show In Redding, CA. wasn't bad, the wife and I had a good time and amazinly enough the Crappy rain/snow/hailing weather cleared up the day of the show! We got a few nice comments from folks, one lady said she rememberd hers she had so much fun driving, another lady said thanks for reminding of the GT, I'd forgotten all about that car!

Then there were the snoody that walked right by and said under their breaths Poor Mans Vett, and wanna be Vett!!! :mad: Oh well big hit with a lot of kids, as they had never seen one before.

Of course we didn't take a trophy, we saw those winners today! 32 duce coops, 34 sedans, T buckets ect... with so much chrome you could dress and do your hair in front of them!!! Many more zero's than I'm willing to put into one, hell I could buy a thousand trophys for what they got under the hood!!! :eek:

There's another show here in nearby Anderson, CA. in two weeks and it's not as snobby and open to all cars! No offense guys but I think I'll take my Sterling kit car as it sure turns the heads with the hydraulic canopy! The only rude comments are when someone finds out it was a former VW and they suddenly lose interest and say oh it's just a VW kit car and walk away as fast as they came over to check it out! Yeah it's a VW that can do 140 MPH quickly and twice the speed limit listed in a turn with out squeeling a tire, the passengers another thing!!! :D I'd love to take those snobs for a ride and make them **** their panties!!! Probably Mini van drivers!

·
2,054 Posts
Hey! Where was the Opel?

I walked that whole show looking for it on Saturday, and didn't see it.
I was looking forward to seeing your car and saying hello.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Rick, why not take both? Get double the exposure. We have the same kind of car shows here in my area. Charlotte is the exception. By the time you get through one of them, you're sick of seeing Cameros, Corvettes, SS's, etc. Anyone with the time and money can buy/build one of them, but an Opel and your Sterling kit car, not many of them. Sometimes being the only one is the best, because people remember the "odd" one amongst the "Masses of others" Jarrell

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were there!

West Coast GT said:
Hey! Where was the Opel?

I walked that whole show looking for it on Saturday, and didn't see it.
I was looking forward to seeing your car and saying hello.

We were in the small parking lot accross from the main lawn area behind the big semi truck with the wheel display, one of the winners a Black Cord was in that lot as well! Sorry we missed you I figured you didn't make it. :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
No pictures Rick? I was hoping to see your car but there's nothing in your album either or am I missing something?

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only took two pics of other cars!

I only took these three, Seen more high Boy roadsters with high rise double pumper holleys and tunnel rams and chrome that I could go without ever seeing one again! Belly Button cars (everyone has one) That's what we called the FireChicken (Firebirds) craze in the mid 70's everyone had a Firebird or Camaro!!!

I took shots of an Auburn and a Black Cord and 32 kit car roadster with Opel front disc brakes ans rack & pinon, the Cord beleive it or not took a trophy, don't know how as he never showed us under the hood!

Now that the weather is better I'll take some shots of my GT and Sterling and post them later!

Attachments

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the Cord and Roadster kit car!

rangerrick said:
I only took these three, Seen more high Boy roadsters with high rise double pumper holleys and tunnel rams and chrome that I could go without ever seeing one again! Belly Button cars (everyone has one) That's what we called the FireChicken (Firebirds) craze in the mid 70's everyone had a Firebird or Camaro!!!

I took shots of an Auburn and a Black Cord and 32 kit car roadster with Opel front disc brakes ans rack & pinon, the Cord beleive it or not took a trophy, don't know how as he never showed us under the hood!

Now that the weather is better I'll take some shots of my GT and Sterling and post them later!
(WEST COAST GT we were in the small lot very near this black Cord)
Sorry we missed meeting you!

Attachments

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Ive gotta say that that boattail Auburn is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. It's been one of my favs for a long time. If there are any INdiana Jones fans out there, there was one in the opening scenes of Idy and the temple of doom. Gorgeous car

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As promised Ging, here are my cars!

ging said:
No pictures Rick? I was hoping to see your car but there's nothing in your album either or am I missing something?

Well here's the Girls The 1972 GT is an Auto W/Aircon. Big GM package. Stock except for the 4 into back into 4 Pacesetter exhaust and 32/36 Weber!

Sterling is a 1835 cc cammed with dual 40mm Webers and a dual glass pack extractor, 1800 lb go cart with the longest legs of any VW I've driven!!! Still lots of power even in 4th gear!!! :D Handles like a wet dream with front and rear sway bars and the fact it's only 3ft. tall
A friends father built this car in his garage and us kids from high school used to come over and help, was a 69 Forest Green Bug with dents in the fenders he got for $500, the kit was like $3,300 in 1976 but didn't have the hydraulic top or electrically controlled headlamps. Kits now are about $5,700- $8,500 and you still have to supply the Bug.

Now I'll see if I can park these pictures in the Opel garage!

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the bradley looks pretty nifty. must be easy to get in and out of, must be a bear to see out of tho, one heck of a slant on the windshield.

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Bradley? BITE YOUR Tounge!!!

The only problem with the front winscreen on the Sterling is the green house effect and glare even off flat black paint on the dash, the rear veiw mirror give a little veiw over the rear fenders so most of the veiw is out the back opera window, through the loovers! It looks cooler with the loovers but easier to see with them removed. Getting in and out in the rain is a bear, your going to get wet period! :p Oh by the way just had the front windscreen replaced do to a long crack $1,242. thank God for the $250 deductable on my insurance!!! Glass itself cost $800 special cut! :eek: The side glass is only $125 ea.

Attached is a picture of the Butt Ugly Bradley! No Comparision to the Sterling...

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey thanks for the pics! What a pair of gorgeous girls you have!
Hope this doesn't sound weird but I got the funniest impression when I saw the first picture. The GT is all big eyes, innocent smile (which is a lie - we all know they're not remotely innocent :p ) and Sterling is all slitted eyes, wicked grin (not a lie). Just the contrast between the two I guess... .
Had two Beetles myself. One t-boned by a Lincoln landyacht and the other smacked in the rear left quarter by a Monte Carlo landyacht into a 1' + curb and from there into a telephone pole. Needless to say neither one could have been saved by any amount of kits. But if I had seen that kit before one of those smacks I might not have had one of those VW's for long before it morphed. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts